Alan Pardew

JH

If Newcastle squad members are offered freedom to improvise on the pitch, precious little 'off the cuff' happens away from it these days. Pardew provides every player with a personalised pre-match dossier highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of the next opponents. Not content with relying on the written word, Newcastle's staff augment such information with individual DVD's highlighting rivals' tricks and tactics.

If that's true I'm impressed. Can you imagine Graeme Souness even contemplating that level of preparation?

"Here lads i've deed a Betamax for ya's te watch"

Guest neesy111

Allardyce got sacked with a better record, at least he's better than Kinnear and Shearer.

They all had far better squads than our current one tbh.  

Allardyce got sacked with a better record, at least he's better than Kinnear and Shearer.

Maybe I'm miscounting, but Allardyce was sacked that season after 21 league games with a record of 7W5D9L (26 pts)

After 21 games, Pardew had a record of 8W4D9L (28 pts).  

Allardyce also had yet to play Manchester united (H+A), Liverpool(A), Arsenal(A) and Chelsea(H) and had the team in shocking form playing horribly.  Also he gave Derby 4 points.  

Guest neesy111

They all had far better squads than our current one tbh.  

Which stand out players from the squads are we missing?

Viduka, Owen & Martins.  (Who for what they were paid were dog-shit but they all scored goals under different regimes).

Allardyce had Emre as well who had the odd occasional game.

Beye as well.

The current squad is the shitest I've ever seen and is a testament to how shit the premiership is that we are managing fine with it also to pardew's management as well.  Apart from the stoke away game we look a much tighter pack.

Maybe I'm miscounting, but Allardyce was sacked that season after 21 league games with a record of 7W5D9L (26 pts)

Allardyce also had yet to play Manchester united (H+A), Liverpool(A), Arsenal(A) and Chelsea(H) and had the team in shocking form playing horribly.  Also he gave Derby 4 points. 

Has Pardew had 21 games?

Allardyce also had yet to play Manchester united (H+A), Liverpool(A), Arsenal(A) and Chelsea(H) and had the team in shocking form playing horribly.  Also he gave Derby 4 points. 

Has Pardew had 21 games?

I am miscounting.  holy shit.  total brain fart

Viduka, Owen & Martins.  (Who for what they were paid were dog-s*** but they all scored goals under different regimes).

Beye as well.

The current squad is the shitest I've ever seen and is a testament to how s*** the premiership is that we are managing fine with it also to pardew's management as well.  Apart from the stoke away game we look a much tighter pack.

The only one you mention who was half decent is Beye and I would rather have Simpson than Beye based on his last season here.

Guest neesy111

Viduka, Owen & Martins.  (Who for what they were paid were dog-s*** but they all scored goals under different regimes).

Beye as well.

The current squad is the shitest I've ever seen and is a testament to how s*** the premiership is that we are managing fine with it also to pardew's management as well.  Apart from the stoke away game we look a much tighter pack.

The only one you mention who was half decent is Beye and I would rather have Simpson than Beye based on his last season here.

Beye last season I agree he was very poor (though some shocking injuries didn't help).

Tbf, it's typical NUFC to get a good point v MUFC and then stuggle badly at Blackpool.  Not sure who is to blame, players or management ???

Beye last season I agree he was very poor (though some shocking injuries didn't help).

Tbf, it's typical NUFC to get a good point v MUFC and then stuggle badly at Blackpool.  Not sure who is to blame, players or management ???

It is typical of us, we'll get a better idea next week if today is a one off.

I am miscounting.  holy s***.  total brain fart

I wasn't trying to big Allardyce up, he was poor,  he still had a better win percantage.

See, I think win% is a useful tool to compare managers but only over the long term.

I think it's questionable at best and intellectually dishonest at worst when comparing managers on half (or less) seasons.  I mean, I'm not willing to state for the record Allardyce is a better manager than Keegan, due to KKs win % in 07-08 after taking over being 23.5% and Fat Sam's being 33%.  Oh and Pardew's is higher than 23.5% too, but no one would say he's better than KK. It just doesn't make much sense to base opinions on comparing small samples like that. 

Points per game is a much better metric - again over time - because it's trivial to construct scenarios where you're worse off with a higher win % (e.g.  -5W0D33L would get you relegated, 4W34D0L would see you comfortable most seasons) but impossible to construct one where a higher points tally over time is worse. 

Allardyce is still "ahead" in both measurements but I think over time Pardew will pass him. 

See, I think win% is a useful tool to compare managers but only over the long term.

I think it's questionable at best and intellectually dishonest at worst when comparing managers on half (or less) seasons.  I mean, I'm not willing to state for the record Allardyce is a better manager than Keegan, due to KKs win % in 07-08 after taking over being 23.5% and Fat Sam's being 33%.  Oh and Pardew's is higher than 23.5% too, so I guess he's better than KK?  Doesn't make much sense to base opinions on small samples like that. 

Points per game is a much better metric - again over time - because it's trivial to construct scenarios where you're worse off with a higher win % (e.g.  -5W0D33L would get you relegated, 4W34D0L would see you comfortable most seasons) but impossible to construct one where a higher points tally over time is worse. 

Allardyce is still "ahead" in both measurements but I think over time Pardew will pass him. 

Keegan had a win percentage of 28.57 second time round.  I agree that you can get a better idea of how somebody is doing over a longer period and that points per game is better than win percentage,  The only problem with points per game, it doesn't seem to be shown anywhere so historically it's almost impossible to compare on that basis.

Guest neesy111

I think it's questionable at best and intellectually dishonest at worst when comparing managers on half (or less) seasons.  I mean, I'm not willing to state for the record Allardyce is a better manager than Keegan, due to KKs win % in 07-08 after taking over being 23.5% and Fat Sam's being 33%.  Oh and Pardew's is higher than 23.5% too, so I guess he's better than KK?  Doesn't make much sense to base opinions on small samples like that.  

Points per game is a much better metric - again over time - because it's trivial to construct scenarios where you're worse off with a higher win % (e.g.  -5W0D33L would get you relegated, 4W34D0L would see you comfortable most seasons) but impossible to construct one where a higher points tally over time is worse.  

Keegan had a win percentage of 28.57 second time round.  I agree that you can get a better idea of how somebody is doing over a longer period and that points per game is better than win percentage,  The only problem with points per game, it doesn't seem to be shown anywhere so historically it's almost impossible to compare on that basis.

You can to me only judge a manager on where a team finishes after them having 1 full season.  Anything else then the excuse's book can be used and sometimes rightly so.

You can to me only judge a manager on where a team finishes after them having 1 full season.  Anything else then the excuse's book can be used and sometimes rightly so.

Virtually every manager we've had have been judged by somebody part way through a season.

Dont really dislike him tbh. despite fully expecting to. Really think its about time we tried giving a manager a full window- followed by a whole season in charge.

edit- when was the last time we finished a prem season with the manager that started it?

Dont really dislike him tbh. despite fully expecting to. Really think its about time we tried giving a manager a full window- followed by a whole season in charge.

edit- when was the last time we finished a prem season with the manager that started it?

Robson.