Alan Pardew

JH

Fair enough, Hughton beat the likes of Arsenal, Everton and Villa, but how can he be labelled a "good tactician" when he then lost to West Brom, Bolton and Stoke? ???

It comes down to the fact that points are points and you get no more beating Arsenal than you do beating Wolves.

You seem to forget that Bolton and Stoke are top ten sides and FA Cup semi finalists to boot. Bolton are competing for Europe and have lost two at home all season, exactly what gives us the right to think we should turn up there and beat them? ???

Because we had a "good tactician" at the helm. Yet his teams those days just surrendered. Even if you lose a good team puts in some sort of effort/decent performance, yet on those occasions mentioned we may as well have stayed on the team coach (except for Perch like, he was needed in the Stoke game.)

How is tactics anything to do with effort? You're contradicting yourself.

Sometimes players have off days. Man Utd had one when they went to Wolves. Arsenal had two in quick succession when us and West Brom beat them on their own turf. That's football.

It's not a cup where a poor result means you're finished, the point of having a league table is to try and minimize the amount of off days you have over 38 games - Hughton was good at this and usually followed up a poor performance with a decent one. Pardew is racking up the s**** performances.

And yet has two less points than Hughton in two less games. Even without the Liverpool game, he's still only a win and a bit off catching up.

Exactly. Players have off days. Hughton's side racked up three in his last five games.

If the Blackpool, Stoke, Wigan, Blackburn, Bolton and West Brom games had happened under Pardew, there would have been hell on in this thread. There's no doubt about it in my mind.

If he'd beaten sunderland 5-1, Villa 6-0 and gone to two places where we typically get fuck all and come away with six points? Maybe he should try doing that, then we'll see what the reaction is, instead of his current strategy of getting defeats and draws every week and living off two wins against two teams in the bottom three that he managed three months ago?

If the Blackpool, Stoke, Wigan, Blackburn, Bolton and West Brom games had happened under Pardew, there would have been hell on in this thread. There's no doubt about it in my mind.

If he'd beaten sunderland 5-1, Villa 6-0 and gone to two places where we typically get f*** all and come away with six points? Maybe he should try doing that, then we'll see what the reaction is, instead of his current strategy of getting defeats and draws every week and living off two wins against two teams in the bottom three that he managed three months ago?

And yet has two less points than Hughton in two less games.

Guest Antec

Under Hughton you got the feeling that progress was being made. Even bad results could be forgiven because the spirit was so good around the team you genuinely felt that we'd be okay. Under Pardew I feel the complete opposite.

Pardew didn't get the job to progress the club, he got it to be a yes man, happy to say and do everyhing he's told. Very few serious managers would accept those terms which is why we ended up with someone who was unemployed and had nothing to lose

If people think that I'm defending Pardew because I think he's the manager for us, I'm not. Pardew is two points behind Hughton with two less games played. Win against Wolves and take at least a point at Villa and he's level, if not more points in the same period of games.

This tells me two things:

- On average, we would probably be no further forward than this stage under Hughton

- Ashley shouldn't have replaced Hughton with Pardew, because it's a step sidewards rather than forwards.

Under Hughton you got the feeling that progress was being made. Even bad results could be forgiven because the spirit was so good around the team you genuinely felt that we'd be okay. Under Pardew I feel the complete opposite.

Pardew didn't get the job to progress the club, he got it to be a yes man, happy to say and do everyhing he's told. Very few serious managers would accept those terms which is why we ended up with someone who was unemployed and had nothing to lose

Nailed it.

If people think that I'm defending Pardew because I think he's the manager for us, I'm not. Pardew is two points behind Hughton with two less games played. Win against Wolves and take at least a point at Villa and he's level, if not more points in the same period of games.

- On average, we would probably be no further forward than this stage under Hughton

- Ashley shouldn't have replaced Hughton with Pardew, because it's a step sidewards rather than forwards.

"Sidewards" is assuming Hughton wouldn't improve as a manager, but he clearly had improved vastly in his time in charge.

"Sidewards" is assuming Hughton wouldn't improve as a manager, but he clearly had improved vastly in his time in charge.

And the squad, as well as the fans were happy with him as manager.

And the squad, as well as the fans were happy with him as manager.

No dispute about that here.

Stop talking sense.

Tbf to Pards, the current injury situation is horrific and puts serious limits on his tactics.  We are down to our bones, and when so many key players are missing, it's obvious that the results will suffer.  I think Chris would not have done any better under similar circumstances. It's in the dying stages of the season, like we're now, that the match program is taking its toll. As the season progresses, so do the amount of injuries and suspensions. Pardew has been without Barton for a total 6  matches due to injury,  and Tiote has already been out for three, and is will now be out for two more. They're  our most important players without a doubt. Them out= many points lost. CH on the other hand benefited  from Carroll and almost an  injury free squad. In other words it's hard to compare CH with Pardew. Also, most managers would have struggled under a similar injury situation.

Guest Howaythetoon

Pardew is fucking shit, a second division manager at best. I'm now starting to worry about relegation.

Pardew is f***ing s***, a second division manager at best. I'm now starting to worry about relegation.

Do you actually think any other manager would have done better? We have FIVE first team players out. And we have not enough depth to replace them. There are very few teams that have a sufficient squad to replace so many players. I'm worried about relegation too, However,  the reason why we've ended in this situation has little to do with pardew, but with us being without non-replaceable players for far to many games.

Guest Howaythetoon

Pardew is f***ing s***, a second division manager at best. I'm now starting to worry about relegation.

Do you actually think any other manager would have done better? We have FIVE first team players out. And we have not enough depth to replace them. There are very few teams that have a sufficient squad to replace so many players. I'm worried about relegation too, However,  the reason why we've ended in this situation has little to do with pardew, but with us being without non-replaceable players for far to many games.

This isn't about other managers which is irrelevent anyway because the manager is Pardew and he is shit and doing a fucking shit job regardless.

Another point that I would make would be to look at Hughton's transfer window performance last January, where he pinpointed exactly what we needed to get us over the line and got it (our performances and results from January onwards were fantastic), while this year, Pardew did absolutely fuck all other than borrowing an injured player (and selling our centre forward obviously).

By comparing results, we're assuming Hughton would not have improved the squad in January. No chance.

Another point that I would make would be to look at Hughton's transfer window performance last January, where he pinpointed exactly what we needed to get us over the line and got it (our performances and results from January onwards were fantastic), while this year, Pardew did absolutely fuck all other than borrowing an injured player (and selling our centre forward obviously).

By comparing results, we're assuming Hughton would have not improved the squad in January. No chance.

And loaning out another body.

Guest BooBoo

Pretty much can't agree with anything Otter has said in this lat couple of pages

I take that as a grand compliment considering you've shown yourself up to know the sum of fuck all on a number of ocassions. :lol:

For everyone else, the last few pages of this thread have been N-O at its best. Some really good debate and airing of views.

Tbf to Pards, the current injury situation is horrific and puts serious limits on his tactics.  We are down to our bones, and when so many key players are missing, it's obvious that the results will suffer.  I think Chris would not have done any better under similar circumstances. It's in the dying stages of the season, like we're now, that the match program is taking its toll. As the season progresses, so do the amount of injuries and suspensions. Pardew has been without Barton for a total 6  matches due to injury,  and Tiote has already been out for three, and is will now be out for two more. They're  our most important players without a doubt. Them out= many points lost. CH on the other hand benefited  from Carroll and almost an  injury free squad. In other words it's hard to compare CH with Pardew. Also, most managers would have struggled under a similar injury situation.

Pardew had the transfer window to bring players in to cope with injuries, get your head out of the sand.

FFS! They club tried to bring in many players during the january window.  But unlike before, it was not willing to pay more than what the players were worth. The price of Carroll represents a good example of how idiotic the january window is.  We'll be fine. We have a 2 weeks off and multiple players will be back soon. And we're meeting many of the dumping candidates at home.

Pretty much can't agree with anything Otter has said in this lat couple of pages

I take that as a grand compliment considering you've shown yourself up to know the sum of fuck all on a number of ocassions. :lol:

For everyone else, the last few pages of this thread have been N-O at its best. Some really good debate and airing of views.

:thup:

Guest BooBoo

There's plenty sticks to beat Pardew with but I feel that blaming him for selling Carroll is daft.

It was a decision made a million miles above his head.