Alan Pardew

JH

For me the problem for a lot of people is they can't seperate their feelings of Pardew from that of Ashley, Llambias and the Hughton sacking.

The Hughton sacking was completely out of order. The bloke did have a questionable home record, but putting that aside he dragged us from out darkest hour. He got us promoted, fostered an excellent team spirit, got players performing again and also did reasonably well in the transfer market. Chris will always be a legend due to his short but influential spell in charge, and the way Ashley treated him with such contempt was frankly shameful.

I'm not a massive fan of Pardew as a person and I, like others, wasn't particularly impressed when he took over. At the same time he's done a decent job. He's steadied the ship since Hughton's departure and managed to maintain the excellent team spirit while having to deal with a substantial injury list and the sale of his most potent striker. At the same time we've looked far more assured at home. Having said all that, the jury is still out. Until we've seen his transfers, how he molds the team and the how we perform next season, it isn't possible to tell if this is a good or a poor appointment. So far so good, but next season is the real test of his abilities.

Aside from the fact I don't believe the ship needed steadying, I agree with this.

He stopped it from drifting away a few times.

The team could easily have dropped moral when Hughton was sacked  but he came in and in his first game beat Liverpool 3-1.

Andy Carroll was sold and we had no replacement and the team moral could easily have left us again, we continued through to the end of the season and only narrowly missed out on a top 10 finish.

We were 4-0 down at half time to Arsenal are were going to get hammered, whatever he said at half time it worked and lead to the biggest comeback in Premiership history and that I believe was the moment when our players turned around and said "Not this time, we aren't going to fail this time".

Chris Hughton might have installed that team moral in the first place, but Pardew has kept it there when it could have very easily fucked off.

Guest BooBoo

Whilst it's obvious we need strikers, we've made a habit of shipping goals at home. We really need to tighten up at the back next season. How many clean sheets? Four? I can think of Villa, Fulham, West Ham and Man Utd.

The team could easily have dropped moral when Hughton was sacked  but he came in and in his first game beat Liverpool 3-1.

Andy Carroll was sold and we had no replacement and the team moral could easily have left us again, we continued through to the end of the season and only narrowly missed out on a top 10 finish.

We were 4-0 down at half time to Arsenal are were going to get hammered, whatever he said at half time it worked and lead to the biggest comeback in Premiership history and that I believe was the moment when our players turned around and said "Not this time, we aren't going to fail this time".

Chris Hughton might have installed that team moral in the first place, but Pardew has kept it there when it could have very easily f***ed off.

Do you seriously think Pardew changed the game against Arsenal?  What changed that game was a sending off and then the players and crowd being lifted by that decision.  If Arsenal had stayed at 11 men we wouldn't have got a point out of the game.

Whilst it's obvious we need strikers, we've made a habit of shipping goals at home. We really need to tighten up at the back next season. How many clean sheets? Four? I can think of Villa, Fulham, West Ham and Man Utd.

Getting somebody next to Tiote with legs will help the defence.

Chris Hughton might have installed that team moral in the first place, but Pardew has kept it there when it could have very easily f***ed off.

Do you seriously think Pardew changed the game against Arsenal?  What changed that game was a sending off and then the players and crowd being lifted by that decision.  If Arsenal had stayed at 11 men we wouldn't have got a point out of the game.

He brought Ranger on, didn't he? I'm sure that decision got a lot of credit at the time as we scored three goals after his introduction.

You can't have it every which way Mick, you've blatantly got a massive agenda here.

Guest BooBoo

Mick's always been one of my favourite posters on here but his Pardew agenda is just getting in the way of any decent post making.

I'll be honest, contrary to belief I'm not a Pardew fan who will defend him no matter what but i am prepared to judge him only when he's had a fair crack. So far he's done quite well but the only time to really judge is after next season.

Aye, that's my stance as well. For all the praise he got for the Arsenal game he gets the criticism for today. You cannot go blaming him for one and then saying he had nothing to do with the other, it's completely irrational and unfair. His level of influence on the game may well have been different between the two given the two circumstances, but he's the manager so he's obviously played a huge part in both, for good and for bad.

He brought Ranger on, didn't he? I'm sure that decision got a lot of credit at the time as we scored three goals after his introduction.

You can't have it every which way Mick, you've blatantly got a massive agenda here.

Do you think we would have got the draw with 11 v 11?  As for an agenda, I want the club to do well and don't think Pardew is the right man to take us forwards and his previous managerial jobs back that up.

Pointless arguing with you on this, you've almost become everything you used to hate. We weren't getting the draw 11 vs. 10 until Pardew brought Ranger on.

For me the problem for a lot of people is they can't seperate their feelings of Pardew from that of Ashley, Llambias and the Hughton sacking.

The Hughton sacking was completely out of order. The bloke did have a questionable home record, but putting that aside he dragged us from out darkest hour. He got us promoted, fostered an excellent team spirit, got players performing again and also did reasonably well in the transfer market. Chris will always be a legend due to his short but influential spell in charge, and the way Ashley treated him with such contempt was frankly shameful.

I'm not a massive fan of Pardew as a person and I, like others, wasn't particularly impressed when he took over. At the same time he's done a decent job. He's steadied the ship since Hughton's departure and managed to maintain the excellent team spirit while having to deal with a substantial injury list and the sale of his most potent striker. At the same time we've looked far more assured at home. Having said all that, the jury is still out. Until we've seen his transfers, how he molds the team and the how we perform next season, it isn't possible to tell if this is a good or a poor appointment. So far so good, but next season is the real test of his abilities.

:thup:

The end of next season is the time to judge him..

Tend to agree. Any manager really needs at least one full season to be fairly judged.

Chris Hughton had one, came up from the CCC with 100+ points and still gets called a cunt on here.

Mick, who would you like to see as our manager if you had the chance to choose?

That’s irrelevant because it will take years to get anybody decent while Ashley is at the club, unfortunately.  We’ve had far too many managers in a short space of time to make anybody decent think it’s a job worth taking.

Can't believe anyone can say Hughton doesn't get absolutely slated on here. People actually slag his signings then in the next post will say "Oh but poor old Pardew has no say over transfers" - no, he's absolutely fucking clueless, that's the problem.

"We're better off without Carroll", ok Alan I believe you.

wullie will say people like crumpy and myself who didn't think hughton was the new hiddink.

Did anybody think he was the new Hiddink?

some certainly attempted to make out he was more than was true. pardew has done little to change it in that the squad attitude has carried itself.

Can't believe anyone can say Hughton doesn't get absolutely slated on here. People actually slag his signings then in the next post will say "Oh but poor old Pardew has no say over transfers" - no, he's absolutely f***ing clueless, that's the problem.

only crumpy ever really slated hughton.

wullie will say people like crumpy and myself who didn't think hughton was the new hiddink.

some certainly attempted to make out he was more than was true. pardew has done little to change it in that the squad attitude has carried itself.

It hasn't though. That's why top players like Jose Enrique are desperate to be away.

It hasn't though. That's why top players like Jose Enrique are desperate to be away.

he wants to be away because clubs he percieves to be bigger right now are after him. do you think he'd be staying if hughton were still here ?

Can't believe anyone can say Hughton doesn't get absolutely slated on here. People actually slag his signings then in the next post will say "Oh but poor old Pardew has no say over transfers" - no, he's absolutely f***ing clueless, that's the problem.

Has Alan said this? :lol: