Alan Pardew

JH

Just read this:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1014641/real-madrid%27s-jose-mourinho-back-in-england-next-season---report?cc=5739

I wouldn't be complaining if the special one decided to join us. Bit of a long shot.

Check out his win%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Mourinho

I honestly think him managing us would work well for both parties if he was backed financially.  If he could lead us to a trophy then it would add massively to his prestige.  Will never happen though.

Do the scouts identify the transfers though? Would they not be sent out with a position to fill? Surely most other clubs scouting systems would be the same.

I think stability is important but I take your point, there are a few tactical question marks over Pardew. Out of interest I looked up how he stacked up against previous managers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Newcastle_United_F.C._managers

His win% doesn't stack up too bad, Hughton's is obviously a lot higher because we were in the championship, what do you think?

I'm not too bothered about win percentages, I'm more interested in points per game and I think he comes out better when measured that way.  We have the makings of a very good side and I hope we are able to see them gel and become the team that we are capable of becoming.  It will be better for us if we do that with Pardew rather than replace him because at least we know how he works here.

If he keeps making progress then we should stick with what we’ve got because you never know how another manager would take to working here.  If we’re not getting at least the sum of the parts from the team then we will have to change him but he should be judged at the end of the season. 

The only time to change during the season is if everything is turning to shit.  Or somebody became available who we couldn’t refuse and we knew he wanted to come here and that's not the case.

I don't think anyone defines stability as being tactically inflexible.

What does stability bring?  I ask the question because I don't think it matters as much when a club has a scouting system which identifies the transfers.  I agree stability doesn't mean being tactically inflexible but the tactics we've seen this season haven't been anything out of the ordinary anyway and we've had as many tactics that have back-fired as those that have worked well.  The tactics worked well against Stoke, they failed against Brighton.  I can't to this day work out what our tactics were against Norwich and I doubt many people can either yet they worked against Man U.

Do the scouts identify the transfers though? Would they not be sent out with a position to fill? Surely most other clubs scouting systems would be the same.

I think stability is important but I take your point, there are a few tactical question marks over Pardew. Out of interest I looked up how he stacked up against previous managers:

His win% doesn't stack up too bad, Hughton's is obviously a lot higher because we were in the championship, what do you think?

yes and no. they may be sent out with specific duties but if something else catches their eye. apparently we went to look at david prutton and the report came back raving about jermaine jenas. i remember bobby robson saying he was once at a managers association do and thought he could pick up a game on the way back.....the press had him as being interested in a forward playing, he wasn't, just wanted to watch a game as it was convenient and who knows what it might throw up.

also i think we hit this window looking for that centre half but the cisse deal was too good to pass up.

Just read this:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1014641/real-madrid%27s-jose-mourinho-back-in-england-next-season---report?cc=5739

I wouldn't be complaining if the special one decided to join us. Bit of a long shot.

Check out his win%

I honestly think him managing us would work well for both parties if he was backed financially.  If he could lead us to a trophy then it would add massively to his prestige.  Will never happen though.

Mourinho is a smart cookie, I imagine he's aware of our potential. I also think he likes us because of Sir Bobby. Just need Branson to hurry up and buy us....

(...Branson or Mourinho will never happen)

Just read this:

Check out his win%

Mourinho is a smart cookie, I imagine he's aware of our potential. I also think he likes us because of Sir Bobby. Just need Branson to hurry up and buy us....

(...Branson or Mourinho will never happen)

liverpool if anywhere.

i still have my doubts over him if he can't outspend everyone.

Guest Brendan_Rice

I'm not too bothered about win percentages, I'm more interested in points per game and I think he comes out better when measured that way.  We have the makings of a very good side and I hope we are able to see them gel and become the team that we are capable of becoming.  It will be better for us if we do that with Pardew rather than replace him because at least we know how he works here.

If he keeps making progress then we should stick with what we’ve got because you never know how another manager would take to working here.  If we’re not getting at least the sum of the parts from the team then we will have to change him but he should be judged at the end of the season. 

The only time to change during the season is if everything is turning to s***.  Or somebody became available who we couldn’t refuse and we knew he wanted to come here and that's not the case.

Agree with all that, would be interested in seeing a similar table with points per game on it, you seen one about?

I honestly think we'd have a good chance of getting him as any but maybe 2 or 3 clubs because of his links to Bobby.  The only downside for him would be the people he'd have to work with.  That could be balanced out by him having already worked on the continent and possibly not having a great deal of input into transfers.  The financial fair play will also mean that wherever he goes he's going to have to work within these guidelines so can't expect massive transfer budgets.

Would Ashley and Llambias have the intelligence to go after him or talk him into the job?  Somehow I couldn't see it.

Agree with all that, would be interested in seeing a similar table with points per game on it, you seen one about?

Souness and Roeder were mentioned earlier with regards to win percentage, he comes out better than Souness but not as good as Roeder.  I knocked one up but didn't save it, off the top of my head Souness was 1.1 ish point per game, Pardew 1.4 ish and Roeder possibly 1.6 ish but that's a rough estimate.

I honestly think we'd have a good chance of getting him as any but maybe 2 or 3 clubs because of his links to Bobby.  The only downside for him would be the people he'd have to work with.  That could be balanced out by him having already worked on the continent and possibly not having a great deal of input into transfers.  The financial fair play will also mean that wherever he goes he's going to have to work within these guidelines so can't expect massive transfer budgets.

Would Ashley and Llambias have the intelligence to go after him or talk him into the job?  Somehow I couldn't see it.

Mourinho wouldn't stand for having his best players sold without his input and not having gaps in the squad plugged at the soonest opportunity.

As you say it would take a lot of ambition from the board for a start to create the set of circumstances required.  It'll never happen.

he would if promised the money and freedom.

he'd go to wigan if they had the cash.

Think that's a canny outrageous statement.

Aye it is.

Wigan with money  :yao:

how ? imagine him going to chelsea pre abramovic.

Chelsea weren't the smallest club in the Premiership before Abramovic.  Wigan are.  He's got his pick of clubs man.

how ? imagine him going to chelsea pre abramovic.

Chelsea weren't the smallest club in the Premiership before Abramovic.  Wigan are.  He's got his pick of clubs man.

he chose the club that had the most money, he'd choose wigan if they were in a similar position.

I don't think he'd be interested in coming here in the slightest. :lol:

Bobby tried to bring him here when he was manager at Benfica and he only turned him down because he wanted to remain a manager and didn't expect that Bobby would ever stand down.  Mourinho is just arrogant enough to think he could do something here and we're no worse a club than Chelsea was. We just don't have the money they had and I doubt he'll ever be in that position again because of the financial fair play rules.

I'm sure what he did with Porto will have him believing that he can win things with any club, they weren’t exactly flush with cash when he won the CL with them, at least not on the scale of that win.

He wanted to go to Liverpool before he went to Chelsea, even though Chelsea had much more of a financial carrot to dangle, Liverpool went for Benitez instead so he did go to Chelsea but it wasn't his first choice.

he chose the club that had the most money, he'd choose wigan if they were in a similar position.

That's not exactly true, he wanted to go to Liverpool and it was widely publicised at the time.  Liverpool went for Raffa Benitez so Jose went to Chelsea.

That's not exactly true, he wanted to go to Liverpool and it was widely publicised at the time.  Liverpool went for Raffa Benitez so Jose went to Chelsea.

honestly don't remember that. the only stuff i remember bout him and liverpool was when he was in milan. however do you think he'd have turned down cjelsea in favour of liverpool given the squillions he was given to spend there ?

Chelsea were already a Champions League club under Ranieri man. They were hardly some no mark club with money to spend.

Nobody has said they were a no mark club, they had just finished 4 places higher up the league than we currently are.

Chelsea were already a Champions League club under Ranieri man. They were hardly some no mark club with money to spend.

Nobody has said they were a no mark club, they had just finished 4 places higher up the league than we currently are.

But Wigan are a no mark club which is sort of the point.