Alan Pardew

JH

I see the hyperbole on both sides. But there are some heads being buried in the sand on things regarding Pardew. People must be worried?

I'm worried about the performances being below-par, but I'm also appreciative of our overall progress compared to last year. I'm just content to evaluate at the end of the season (and think overly critical comments right now can play a part in derailing us, when things are looking positive for the first time in a decade).

Guest Deadmau5

:lol: give over man.

He's exactly right.

Allowing by far the worst team in the league to come back from 0-2 down at HT away is perfectly acceptable, when they are being beat 5-0 by several other midtable-sides. Roger that.

Guest Howaythetoon

People can talk about stats and league placings all they like but the fact of the matter is that we often get outpassed and outfought tactically by the opposition, home and away, in the league and even in the cups despite having arguably the best starting XI outside of the top 6.

I also refuse to accept this bull s*** notion that because Williamson and Simposn (the new scapegoats) are not the most gifted on the ball or in possession, is the reason why we resort to the long ball or even more idiotic a notion, that we drop deep because of this.

For 10 minutes from the start yesterday the back-four, midfield and attacked played possession football from the back, through into midfield and onto the forwards that saw us go a goal up and could have also easily seen is race into a very quick 3-0 lead.

That to me suggest our players can play possession football. If only they were encouraged to and allowed to. That isn't the case though.

How much of this though is down to the opposition sitting back so we have more opportunities to do this, and then when they concede, know that they have to come at us more which is putting our weaker players (Williamson & Simpson come to mind) under more pressure than when the score is, say, 1-0 to us?

Earlier on in the season we actually played some of our better football when the opposition came out to play or a game was on if you like, i.e. at home to Man Utd and Spurs and during spells of the QPR game.

Its a sound theory of yours only if we remove the image of Pardew from the touchline screaming at players to release the ball early, to drop deep and give instructions to the likes of Cabaye to hold their line or play more narrower etc. etc. Player quotes and even quotes from the manager himself in the past underline our tactics. Which once ahead (or even level), is to contain, defend, hold our lines and to release early balls - often long. I don't mind containing leads and so on but 2-0 up at home to Wolves? 1-0 up at home to QPR? 1-0 up at home to Villa? 1-0 up at home to Norwich? Is it any coinicdence that in all those games the opposition came back into it and caused us all kinds of problems? Contain your lead or point against an Arsenal or a Man Utd. At home against lesser sides (in terms of individual ability and players) we should be set out like how Hughton set us up, to get at the opposition and to keep getting at them.

Pardew has been in the game long enough to know when you pump it long you invarioubly give it away and invite pressure on. He should also know by sitting deep you encourage a long ball to simply get your lines cleared which serves only to help the opposition. The fact Norwich didn't take full advantage was down to a great save by Krul, poor finishing by QPR and Villa also saved us. Wolves did punish us though and more teams will if we continue in this vein.

Tactically, he scares the s*** out of me. Again I refer back to playing Jonas as a left-back only to play his so-called cover, narrow to him infield which allowed their own flank a free run at our man. How many times was Colo, our centre-back dragged away from that area to help out Jonas? Too many times.

He tries to be clever with his selections and tactics but he just looks like a complete idiot.

:lol: give over man.

He's exactly right.

We had been gash the entry half and it was no need to give them that chance. I´m actually quite embarrassed about that game and result.

You're embarrassed by a win against a mid-table side who generally play quite well away from home?

I swear, there's a growing contingent on here who seem to have started supporting us in Novemeber.

Guest Deadmau5

Ronaldo advocating 2-2 at home vs Wolves as perfectly acceptable and understandable, jesus fucking wept.

Guest Howaythetoon

By the way, if Pardew deserves criticism for the way we play, the coaches do too. I don't want to harp on about the Jonas-Cabaye left flank thing but surely someone whould have had a word with Pardew? If not prior to deciding to go with that then during the game itself? I know Jonas was having words with Cabaye and so too was Colo all throughout the game.

Guest BooBoo

You're embarrassed by a win against a mid-table side who generally play quite well away from home?

I swear, there's a growing contingent on here who seem to have started supporting us in Novemeber.

Folk want us to be riding high in the league, playing exciting football and convincingly beating teams. The bar has been raised as the season has gone on, to a very high level.

Folk want us to be riding high in the league, playing exciting football and convincingly beating teams. The bar has been raised as the season has gone on, to a very high level.

Folk want us to be able to string a few passes together and keep possession better like most half decent teams will. When Norwich are knocking it about better than us on our own ground it's not a good sign. Yes we won. Yes we had Ba and Cisse and they didn't.

Guest Howaythetoon

It is not unreasonable to at least desire to see what many would have a good reason to claim this as our best XI since Sir Bobby's days to at least be able to not get outpassed by Norwich on our own patch? Especially given how we played in the first 10 minutes?

No-one is demanding anything of this team other than to see our poor performances improve and our manager's mistakes to be rectified.

Many many people on here have put up good reasons to question the manager, offered good tactical analysis and all the likes of you can do is cut down these opinions because we are 6th or whatever.

Can you ask me why our manager deployed a none left-back at LB when he had a left-back available, and then went onto give him no fucking cover? A tactic that saw Colo having to help out his 'LB' many a time leaving gaping holes in the centre. If Holt had of started we would have lost this game.

By the way, if Pardew deserves criticism for the way we play, the coaches do too. I don't want to harp on about the Jonas-Cabaye left flank thing but surely someone whould have had a word with Pardew? If not prior to deciding to go with that then during the game itself? I know Jonas was having words with Cabaye and so too was Colo all throughout the game.

On the Jonas at LB thing, this is a quote from Jonas yesterday:

"I try to do my best for the team, and we tried to attack from the back so that was why I played in that position," he explained to nufc.co.uk from inside the home dressing room at the Sports Direct Arena St. James' Park.

"I've played at right-back before, for Argentina, but not on the left. But it's no different if you play on the right or the left; it's the same. I don't care really.

"If the manager needs me in that position, then I will try to do my best."

Now, I'm not defending Pardew's (second half) tactics yesterday btw but it seems to me that Pardew (at first anyway) wanted to go for it so maybe that's why he opted for such an attacking lineup yesterday? I guess it could also the case that Jonas has a better track record for assists from the left so maybe that's the reason why Santon was on the bench?

Guest BooBoo

The decision to play Jonas left back and then try to dress it up as the result of an injury crisis after the game was bizarre like.

I think it's also due to the fact that Pardew has clear concerns with Santon as a full back. Hooked in his last two games and then dropped for yesterday.

Guest neesy111

Also people want to see that we will continue to be in the top 6 next season, with performances from the last 3 months it's highly doubtful we will be.  Eventually you get found out if your scraping by results game after game.

Guest neesy111

The decision to play Jonas left back and then try to dress it up as the result of an injury crisis after the game was bizarre like.

I think it's also due to the fact that Pardew has clear concerns with Santon as a full back. Hooked in his last two games and then dropped for yesterday.

Yet still plays and defends Simpson.

:yao:

Guest neesy111

Our team selection last 3 months has been all over the place, obviously different reasons for that though I still don't understand us playing formations to counter-act the opposition at home.

Guest Howaythetoon

Bottom line, we need to consolidate the luck we had in the first half of the season when we were able to play a credible defence.

I love it :lol: So we were lucky at the start of the season and this is our true level and we just need a bit of luck to hang in there until our credible defence returns. Aye rightio.

Who is missing? Steven Taylor? That player you used to castigate? That defence by the way consisted of Ryan Taylor at left-back, the equiverlent of Williamson in the centre. The reason we are playing shit has fuck all to do with the defence or as you put it a lack of a credible defence. A defence by the way that kepts its 10th clean sheet I believe yesterday.

Guest neesy111

exactly, "8 senior players out"

fine the southern media may buy that, but don't insult the f***ing fans

Did he really say that?  :lol:

Yes.  Just another excuse to preach to us gullible fans.

Guest Howaythetoon

Nowt wrong with Santon that a bit of good coaching wouldn't help address.... oh fuck!

Santon got dropped because the stats showed how many headers Sagna won in individual dules and how many times Wallcott got into the 'red zone'.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm beginning to think the reason why we are seeing these kind of repostes to good analysis and questioning is because like our manager, they don't understand the finer points of the game tactically or simply refuse to in light of our 6th place in the table. Its the equiverlent of sticking fingers in ears and signing lalalalalala.