Is Mike Ashley the worst person ever to have been associated with NUFC?

AlanSkÃrare

During the current and prior year, advertising and promotional services were provided to companies associated with Mr M J W Ashley, the ultimate shareholder of the company’s ultimate parent undertaking, MASH Holdings Limited. No consideration was paid or payable for these services.

So it's true that Ashley isn't paying anything for the Sports Direct advertising enjoyed by his company? What would that be worth to another independent company, does anyone have any idea?

During the current and prior year, advertising and promotional services were provided to companies associated with Mr M J W Ashley, the ultimate shareholder of the company’s ultimate parent undertaking, MASH Holdings Limited. No consideration was paid or payable for these services.

So it's true that Ashley isn't paying anything for the Sports Direct advertising enjoyed by his company? What would that be worth to another independent company, does anyone have any idea?

Hang on, let me calculate it......hmmm.......err add that in......yup.....carry the one.....quite a bit!

Lots

Well if we could get some actual figures on what other companies would be willing to pay for similar boards to the massive Sports Direct ones erected at St James we could show conclusively that Ashley is depriving the club of said amount of money for his own gain. The numbers would be crucial. £10,000? £100,000? I've no idea how much these things are worth so it would be instructive.

Well if we could get some actual figures on what other companies would be willing to pay for similar boards to the massive Sports Direct ones erected at St James we could show conclusively that Ashley is depriving the club of said amount of money for his own gain. The numbers would be crucial. £10,000? £100,000? I've no idea how much these things are worth so it would be instructive.

Would people be 'happy' if this was the way Ashley was looking to take 'money' form the club - ie no cash would leave, but advertising is given away for free.

Remember that SD have not replaced another supplier

Would people be 'happy' if this was the way Ashley was looking to take 'money' form the club - ie no cash would leave, but advertising is given away for free.

Remember that SD have not replaced another supplier

That's what I would like to establish, how much is that sort of advertising worth? I'm not sure it's as much as people think it is, but for argument's sake if it was then Ashley would technically be taking money away from the club which could be used to boost our coffers.

Even if Ashley sold the advertising instead of that shit plastered all over it he would get the money anyway? ???

But the money would go into Newcastle United's coffers rather than any of his other accounts which would be a factor into the profitability of the football club, hence spending power etc.

We've had this dicussion before. Right pocket, left pocket. It doesn't matter if the advertising is paid for or not.

It does if that money's the difference between making a profit and a loss and they can keep pointing at the accounts saying "look, we're still making a loss, we're spending fuck-all, need to be careful and that".

The shirt sponsorship is major revenue, although it's probably a lot less than it used to be, but that side is sold to Northern Rock isn't it? The Stadium naming rights are up for sale, until then Sports Direct are using the rights and the big boards on the roof I have no idea what they are worth or if they are available for anyone else to sponsor.

We've had this dicussion before. Right pocket, left pocket. It doesn't matter if the advertising is paid for or not.

We've had it before and the suggestion is as ridiculous as it was then.

Sports Direct last month posted profits of £200m. Unless you think some of that is going to find its way into NUFC's transfer kitty (taking its time isn't it?) then the idea that the NUFC/Sports Direct money is all one big fund is absolutely laughable.

It does if that money's the difference between making a profit and a loss and they can keep pointing at the accounts saying "look, we're still making a loss, we're spending fuck-all, need to be careful and that".

SD hasn't replaced other sponsors. It's extra, new sponsorship, so there should be no impact to the club accounts. And sponsorship of this form doesn't provide tens of millions of pounds. It may provide one or two, which isn't going to make a difference to our P&L, especially when we don't have other costs like interest on debt (which would normally cost a few million).

We've had it before and the suggestion is as ridiculous as it was then.

Sports Direct last month posted profits of £200m. Unless you think some of that is going to find its way into NUFC's transfer kitty (taking its time isn't it?) then the idea that the NUFC/Sports Direct money is all one big fund is absolutely laughable.

No. But Mike Ashley's money is certainly one big fund. And since improving SD's P&L will have a way bigger impact on his overall net worth, he's always going to 'funnel' money that way, if possible. The value of the club would not be reduced because this is simply untapped revenue. We're also not going to spend less because SD aren't paying for advertising.

SD hasn't replaced other sponsors. It's extra, new sponsorship, so there should be no impact to the club accounts. And sponsorship of this form doesn't provide tens of millions of pounds. It may provide one or two, which isn't going to make a difference to our P&L, especially when we don't have other costs like interest on debt (which would normally cost a few million).

Their logo's all over the shop man, what do you think was on the advertising boards before Mike Ashley bought the club?

Ashley will spend whatever he wants on the club. I think he's working the club towards breaking-even regularly. I think we're there already and we should be able to support a net spend of around 8-10m per year but I think he also wants to recoup some of the losses from the past couple of years, especially the relegation season which cost him close to 50m. That's his prerogative and it's obviously not in our best interests, but I think it's temporary. For what it's worth, I think the 35m for Carroll will be used solely to recoup the losses from earlier years.

Their logo's all over the shop man, what do you think was on the advertising boards before Mike Ashley bought the club?

I'm talking about the main and prominent sponsorship, like the sign on the stadium etc., but anyway, I think other forms of sponsorship aren't worth much - main sponsorship money is the shirt.

Guest TheSummerOf69

Hang on, let me calculate it......hmmm.......err add that in......yup.....carry the one.....quite a bit!

;D

One thing I don't really understand about Ashley. When he first arrived here he set down a marker with the Kieron Dyer deal by demanding an extra £2m from West Ham at the last minute because he was pissed at them sniggering they'd mugged us. While I understand he wants the club to be self-financing he's shown that he's perfectly capable of intervening with his money and clout.

Cajun suggested we should keep hold of Enrique till the last day of the window, probably to fuck Liverpool off for not offering Enrique's value. If Ashley actually did this and wrote off the piddling fee they are offering and kept Enrique here just to show we won't be messed around, it would do more for his reputation and the club's than any amount of PR or favourable press leaks.

Unconfirmed reports that Sports Direct are the only store in Croydon to have recorded a profit after having all of their merchandise looted.