Wigan vs Newcastle United pre game thread - Sun 2nd Jan at 4pm (live on Sky)

Guest Tall Striker

Regardless of who the manager is, the tales coming out of the club (I know, I know) suggest Ranger is very unprofessional. He either needs to get his act together or be kicked out. You cant have some little upstart thinking he can do what he wants.

The funny thing is, Hughton would often bring Ranger off the bench and leave Lovenkrands sitting with his coat on. But he was clearly far more comfortable putting Lovenkrands in the starting Xl, as if he was making a point of not starting Ranger.

Yep.

Sorry but don't agree with that one bit. If Ranger thinks he's mature enough for the first-team, then he should grow up off the pitch too.

His maturity shouldn't be the reason for him playing, he should or shouldn't play because he's either good enough or not.

Ranger has improved on the pitch, where it matters, so he must be doing something right, regardless of application in training or turning up late. For now he needs to start in the first XI as we're better with him in the side. Dropping him on principle or to make a point just fucks over everything involved.

It's a bit of a worry that Pardew is complaining in public about this, or Enrique's twitter. It's the kind of unimportant shit that, by paying attention to it, ends up causing more problems than you wanted to solve in the first place. Kind of shite that managers like Souness constantly bang on about in public, when it should firstly be dealt with behind closed doors and secondly be put into perspective.

Is sending a taxi round for Ranger going to work though? He must be on what? £10k a week?

Will he really care that the taxi is costing him £50 sitting outside his house waiting for him?

I agree with the sentiment but although at 19 he will still be immature if we wants to make it HE needs to take a lot of the responsibility. There are plenty of people that age who have already made it and want to work for it. It's his career he will be throwing away. Wasn't Fabregas captain of Arsenal at around that age?

It's not the cost that matters, it's the shame of not being able to get himself in on time that might make a difference, everybody is different.

Sorry but don't agree with that one bit. If Ranger thinks he's mature enough for the first-team, then he should grow up off the pitch too.

His maturity shouldn't be the reason for him playing, he should or shouldn't play because he's either good enough or not.

What message does it give a) the rest of the squad, and b) Ranger, if he's starting even though he's being a prick off the pitch?

Guest Heneage

So it's Pardew's fault Ranger is still turning up late for training and not applying himself? I'm all for hating the new guy but Ranger's lacked even the basics of professionalism for a while now so to blame Pardew for highlighting it is crazy.

Ranger is 19 years old, it's not unusual for people his age to lack maturity and it's his job to get Ranger to change.  I had somebody who kept turning up for work late so I sent a taxi around to his house at his expense, he soon learned that it was better for him to make his own way to work on time.  If I was Pardew I would have a taxi sitting outside of Rangers house an hour before the start of training and the cost would come out of his wages.

Pardew is old enough to be his father and should know by now that you sometimes have to do things different with different people and at times think out of the box.

Ranger makes thousands of pounds a week a 20 pound taxi will mean nothing the two are in no way comparable. It doesn't matter if you are 19 and playing in the Premier League for U12's at Forrest Hall if you're late for training it shows disrespect to the manager and should be punishable be it by not playing or in Rangers case fines.

If he plays despite a shocking attitude what message does that send to those not currently in the first XI? It doesn't matter if you're young you can turn up late no questions asked. I mean come on Mick it's not like he has to be up for 6am he's failing to do what folk throughout the region do on a daily basis for longer hours and less pay.

Is sending a taxi round for Ranger going to work though? He must be on what? £10k a week?

Will he really care that the taxi is costing him £50 sitting outside his house waiting for him?

I agree with the sentiment but although at 19 he will still be immature if we wants to make it HE needs to take a lot of the responsibility. There are plenty of people that age who have already made it and want to work for it. It's his career he will be throwing away. Wasn't Fabregas captain of Arsenal at around that age?

It's not the cost that matters, it's the shame of not being able to get himself in on time that might make a difference, everybody is different.

do footballers have shame?

If he was infinitely better than the other options then perhaps, but he's a nobody yet, and maybe him being reminded of that will benefit him more in the long run than picking him in the team that ordering a taxi for him the next day.

And there must be something going on off the pitch otherwise between them, I think Hughton & Pardew would have given him a Premier League start by now.

He must have chinned somebody outside of McDonalds, broken a glass in somebody’s face or broken somebody’s jaw.  No, it couldn’t have been that as they are acceptable.  Oh yes, he can’t turn up late for training.

As a club we’ve set standards by allowing other things to go on.  We’ve had the MD streaking across the pitch, we’ve had the owner drinking a pint on the terraces which any of us would have been up in court for.  We're not a good club at setting standards, maybe it's time we changed that but it's not going to be easy.

Just have to tell you how wrong you are here.  Woah, seriously wrong.

So it's Pardew's fault Ranger is still turning up late for training and not applying himself? I'm all for hating the new guy but Ranger's lacked even the basics of professionalism for a while now so to blame Pardew for highlighting it is crazy.

Shame. I have a lot of time for Ranger as a player but if he's turning up late for training you have to question his application, or worse, his lifestyle if he can't get out of bed early enough to get to the ground in time.

Ranger makes thousands of pounds a week a 20 pound taxi will mean nothing the two are in no way comparable. It doesn't matter if you are 19 and playing in the Premier League for U12's at Forrest Hall if you're late for training it shows disrespect to the manager and should be punishable be it by not playing or in Rangers case fines.

If he plays despite a shocking attitude what message does that send to those not currently in the first XI? It doesn't matter if you're young you can turn up late no questions asked. I mean come on Mick it's not like he has to be up for 6am he's failing to do what folk throughout the region do on a daily basis for longer hours and less pay.

The manager said that he might get away with it if he was an older player, or words to that effect, what sort of message does that give out?

People are late for work everyday, some more than others, some never, we're all different.

Guest toonlass

Ranger is more concerned with his image than his football IMO. He has proved fuck all on the pitch, yet his attitude is as if he is a superstar gangsta. He needs to let his football do the talking, and stop being a showy twat.

Ranger has improved on the pitch, where it matters, so he must be doing something right, regardless of application in training or turning up late. For now he needs to start in the first XI as we're better with him in the side. Dropping him on principle or to make a point just f***s over everything involved.

It's a bit of a worry that Pardew is complaining in public about this, or Enrique's twitter. It's the kind of unimportant s*** that, by paying attention to it, ends up causing more problems than you wanted to solve in the first place. Kind of s**** that managers like Souness constantly bang on about in public, when it should firstly be dealt with behind closed doors and secondly be put into perspective.

I would get sacked if I had spoken about any disciplinary matter in public.

If he was infinitely better than the other options then perhaps, but he's a nobody yet, and maybe him being reminded of that will benefit him more in the long run than picking him in the team that ordering a taxi for him the next day.

I'm not sure what difference being infinitely better should make, do you agree with double standards?  I agree that he should turn up to training on time and should apply himself more.  How we get to that position may need a bit more thought than talking to the press.

Guest Heneage

The manager said that he might get away with it if he was an older player, or words to that effect, what sort of message does that give out?

People are late for work everyday, some more than others, some never, we're all different.

He's not even scored in the Premier League he's just another Chopra at this stage.

He should not apply standards of anyone else, these are personal standards.

He's not even scored in the Premier League he's just another Chopra at this stage.

Rubbish, wait until it goes against you and see how you feel, you can't have double standards.

Guest Heneage

Rubbish, wait until it goes against you and see how you feel, you can't have double standards.

Bollocks Newcastle pay my wages so I come in when they tell me to, on time.

Pardew has an obligation to pick the team he feels has the best chance of getting a result. If that means playing an arsehole then so be it.

If he wants to discipline any player then he should be doing it behind closed doors and picking him when it matters. Pardew making it personal and snubbing him doesn't help us win.

(Not disputing or condoning Ranger's indiscipline off the field btw)

Bollocks Newcastle pay my wages so I come in when they tell me to, on time.

Aye but it's OK to smash somebody's face in, fair enough.

Now you're getting off track.

Just accept that it totally unacceptable to consistently arrive late to training.  Totally unprofessional attitude that should not be found in a youngster who has a lot to learn. 

Pardew is right in what he has said, but he really needs to keep his mouth shut about what should be internal issues.