Asian Cup 2011

oldtype

Mile jedinak for Australia. Would be a handy back up for cech tiote. Is a goal scoring defensive mid.

Not sure he could handle the pass of the premier league tbh. Definitely my first choice DCM for Aus though and has been for some time. Good to see a youngish Aussie doing well at a time future prospects look pretty dull.

Are you guys for real? Jedinak is rubbish - sure he's scored two goals on this tournament but frankly I'd rather Alan Smith for footballing skill.

BTW Ka Joo Cheol has been a very impressive Asian based player.

Really coming to prominence in this tournament. four goals and two assists in the prelims alone.

I always thought he was a bit ordinary but his football IQ is really starting to shine. Could probably do a job in a second tier European league right now.

Him and Ki Sung-Yong have our central midfield sorted for the next decade. O0

Mile jedinak for Australia. Would be a handy back up for cech tiote. Is a goal scoring defensive mid.

Not sure he could handle the pass of the premier league tbh. Definitely my first choice DCM for Aus though and has been for some time. Good to see a youngish Aussie doing well at a time future prospects look pretty dull.

Are you guys for real? Jedinak is rubbish - sure he's scored two goals on this tournament but frankly I'd rather Alan Smith for footballing skill.

Who are your top two Aus CDM's then? btw i meant pace of the premier league haha. And yeah so would I and I don't know where I said otherwise

Turns out we have Iran in the quarters for the fifth straight time in this tournament. :doh:

After that it's the winner of Japan v. Qatar, or basically, just Japan.

In the mean time, you Aussies get the Jordanians, the Uzbeks, and one of the Iraqis or the Commie bastards in your side

Could potentially have to go through Iran, Japan, AND Australia to get our hands on the cup. What the fucking hell :(

Who are your top two Aus CDM's then? btw i meant pace of the premier league haha. And yeah so would I and I don't know where I said otherwise

If we're playing a 4-3-2-1 then it has to be Culina and Valeri (and yes, I know Culina is on the downhill slope, but he's still better than Jedinak).

Even better would be Rhys Williams at RB and Wilkshire at CM (which is where he plays for Moscow). I was glad to see Kilkenny get some game time against Bahrain too...

Our talent pool is so thin that we barely have a decent XI let alone a squad. :(

If we're playing a 4-3-2-1 then it has to be Culina and Valeri (and yes, I know Culina is on the downhill slope, but he's still better than Jedinak).

Even better would be Rhys Williams at RB and Wilkshire at CM (which is where he plays for Moscow). I was glad to see Kilkenny get some game time against Bahrain too...

Our talent pool is so thin that we barely have a decent XI let alone a squad. :(

Personally i'd have Jedinak and Wilkshire with Emerton moving to Right back. I find Valeri to be a very weak player and Culina struggles to pass forward.

Just to recap how ridiculous yesterday was, we had 38 shots and 24 shots on goal. Only scored 4.

Our reward is the bracket from hell. :doh:

I saw your game and couldn't believe you didn't win about 10-0. India were clueless. There must have been about 15 clear cut chances. Too many of your players seemed to pass responsibility. Too often space opened up for a strike on goal only 8 yards out but someone would try just one more pass. All you need is half a yard to score a goal but it seemed they wanted to walk it into an open net. A clinical more selfish striker would have bagged 5 or 6 in this game. Is Park Chu Young out for the tournament? You need someone up front who will put those chances away.

Just to recap how ridiculous yesterday was, we had 38 shots and 24 shots on goal. Only scored 4.

Our reward is the bracket from hell. :doh:

I saw your game and couldn't believe you didn't win about 10-0. India were clueless. There must have been about 15 clear cut chances. Too many of your players seemed to pass responsibility. Too often space opened up for a strike on goal only 8 yards out but someone would try just one more pass. All you need is half a yard to score a goal but it seemed they wanted to walk it into an open net. A clinical more selfish striker would have bagged 5 or 6 in this game. Is Park Chu Young out for the tournament? You need someone up front who will put those chances away.

Yes, Park is out for the tournament. He's the last person on Earth I'd call a "clinical more selfish striker" though :lol: He'd probably be right there making pointless lay-offs in the box with the rest.

Our players were blatantly taking the piss with all the cute passes yesterday but ultimately a lot of it was down to bad luck. Hit the post and got stuff cleared off the line way too often. There was this crazy moment where our striker picked up the ball, rounded the keeper, got his first shot blocked by a defender, picked up the rebound and shot again, blocked again, picked it up again and took one final shot that was cleared off the line.

Ur a funny c*** man upstairs

cheers like. didn't get the point of posting the formation though

Well, there ARE three Aussies in this thread talking about our best team ;)

Aussiemag, your last three posts tell me the green and gold specs are firmly on - I don't think any of the players you mentioned (except maybe Tommy Oar) could ever wear the black and white. Consider that Moore and Viduka are two of the greatest players we have ever produced, and then ask some of these Toon fans how highly they rate these great Australian talents... And as for Holman, two goals in the World Cup doesn't mask the fact he is technically limited (and that's generous). I wouldn't have him in my XI, which would look like:

Scwharzer - Lowry, Neill, Ognanovski, Williams - Wilkshire, Valeri - Kewell, Cahill, Emerton - Kennedy

Ridiculously old for 2014, perhaps, but the players coming through just aren't good enough. Unless there's an Andy Carroll-type fulfillment of potential from the half dozen or so prospects we have, we could very well struggle to qualify for Brazil...

Schwarzer

Williams. Spiranovic. Devere lowry

Wilkshire. Kantarovski

holman.          Cahill.        Oar

Kennedy

Kilkenny, rukavytsya, burns, sarota, herd, leckie, Inman

I'm sure everyone on the forum will recognise how good Viduka was before he signed here. But yes there aren't any Aussie players coming through that i would want here, besides Inman ;)

It's really hard to pick an Aussie squad when all our players are so old and will decline in that period at different paces.