David Bentley joins Birmingham City on loan

jdckelly
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Agree with Nixon ( :kasper:) and wouldn't mind seeing how he does on the left and cutting in. He's got/had a decent eye for goal and a good shot on him. Would also mean we could switch the wingers and/or move Barton infield if need be. 

For me, I don't think Bentley is even much of an upgrade on Raylor... Coincidentally, I don't know why we haven't given Ryan more of a chance on the right side of midfield, especially before we found out Barton is actually quite useful there. His delivery is just as good as Bentley's, and his set pieces are arguably better. In essence, they are both poor man's Beckhams though, and I would rather we brought in some more pace and scoring ability on the wings.

Come on, really?

Aye, that's how bad I think Bentley is as well as not understanding the hyperbole of Raylor criticism on here sometimes. Ok, so he's not great shakes as a defender nor is he a world beater, but his free kicks and crossing ability would have got us end product that the likes of Jonas and Routledge can only dream of.

You say that but Routledge provided far better delivery last season.

Now to compare Taylor and Bentley :lol:

:lol:

I'll take KD's word for it. If another team come in for Alan Smith you could probably see similar comments about him being miles better than such and such of their players, but it would just be people basing an opinion on a player's ability from years ago, not his current shitness.. You're just basing your judgement on reputation, not current or even recent form..

Because he's not playing regularly. How can you make a comment on a player's recent form when they're being chucked in and out of the team. No decent player will perform well if you throw them on now and again. He needs a steady run of games before anyone can say he's s*** now.

does that account for ryan taylor aswell ?

For me, I don't think Bentley is even much of an upgrade on Raylor... Coincidentally, I don't know why we haven't given Ryan more of a chance on the right side of midfield, especially before we found out Barton is actually quite useful there. His delivery is just as good as Bentley's, and his set pieces are arguably better. In essence, they are both poor man's Beckhams though, and I would rather we brought in some more pace and scoring ability on the wings.

Come on, really?

Aye, that's how bad I think Bentley is as well as not understanding the hyperbole of Raylor criticism on here sometimes. Ok, so he's not great shakes as a defender nor is he a world beater, but his free kicks and crossing ability would have got us end product that the likes of Jonas and Routledge can only dream of.

I'll take KD's word for it. If another team come in for Alan Smith you could probably see similar comments about him being miles better than such and such of their players, but it would just be people basing an opinion on a player's ability from years ago, not his current shitness.. You're just basing your judgement on reputation, not current or even recent form..

Because he's not playing regularly. How can you make a comment on a player's recent form when they're being chucked in and out of the team. No decent player will perform well if you throw them on now and again. He needs a steady run of games before anyone can say he's s*** now.

KD says he has been given those chances and has failed to take them.

Damien Duff Mk 2 for me. Did well at a small club, moved to a bigger pont and failed miserably. Considered by NUFC because of high ability and good pedigree (coming from a supposedly "better club")... Shame they've not proved their ability for donkey's years or at the higher level..

Keane is Owen Mk II, Bentley is Duff Mk II - it's ridiculous that players are cast aside as being shit just because we've had bad dealings with older PL players in the past. So what we going to do, not sign anyone who's over the age of 25 and has had played in the PL for a number of years because they could flop?

Comparing Ryan Taylor to David Bentley. :lol:

Like comparing Smith to Tiote.

only in the excuse of "you can't judge if they're not getting regular games"...we've been here before having we neesy mate ?

Guest neesy111

Keane is Owen Mk II, Bentley is Duff Mk II - it's ridiculous that players are cast aside as being shit just because we've had bad dealings with older PL players in the past. So what we going to do, not sign anyone who's over the age of 25 and has had played in the PL for a number of years because they could flop?

This.  Sick of people saying we can't sign these types of players because it'll be a throwback to the past.  The fact is, if we are going to make progress going forward we are going have to sign these types of players in times like these.

Come on, really?

Damien Duff Mk 2 for me. Did well at a small club, moved to a bigger pont and failed miserably. Considered by NUFC because of high ability and good pedigree (coming from a supposedly "better club")... Shame they've not proved their ability for donkey's years or at the higher level..

Aye, he was fucking garbage at Chelsea... :idiot2:

Come on, really?

Aye, he was f***ing garbage at Chelsea... :idiot2:

no he wasn't.

edit...D'oh

Guest neesy111

only in the excuse of "you can't judge if they're not getting regular games"...we've been here before having we neesy mate ?

Who on Danny Guthrie, who has proven to be fucking utterly useless wherever he plays like I said.

Keane is Owen Mk II, Bentley is Duff Mk II - it's ridiculous that players are cast aside as being s*** just because we've had bad dealings with older PL players in the past. So what we going to do, not sign anyone who's over the age of 25 and has had played in the PL for a number of years because they could flop?

This.  Sick of people saying we can't sign these types of players because it'll be a throwback to the past.  The fact is, if we are going to make progress going forward we are going have to sign these types of players in times like these.

People underestimating how vital PL experience is when you're trying to stay in the division. We sign two unknown foreigners in January and we'll struggle to stay up, because they need time to gel/adapt.

Come on, really?

Aye, he was f***ing garbage at Chelsea... :idiot2:

no he wasn't.

edit...D'oh

Guest neesy111

Keane is Owen Mk II, Bentley is Duff Mk II - it's ridiculous that players are cast aside as being s*** just because we've had bad dealings with older PL players in the past. So what we going to do, not sign anyone who's over the age of 25 and has had played in the PL for a number of years because they could flop?

People underestimating how vital PL experience is when you're trying to stay in the division. We sign two unknown foreigners in January and we'll struggle to stay up, because they need time to gel/adapt.

That is exactly what that agent on SSN said yesterday :lol:

Simple: sign players on the up who see Newcastle United as a step up in their career rather than players who are past their best who see Newcastle United as a nice final pay check where they will be welcomed based on past reputation. West Ham have been taking these sort of gambles for years, and look how well they are doing. Also, might as well point at us a few years ago..

Simple: sign players on the up who see Newcastle United as a step up in their career rather than players who are past their best who see Newcastle United as a nice final pay check where they will be welcomed based on past reputation. West Ham have been taking these sort of gambles for years, and look how well they are doing. Also, might as well point at us a few years ago..

Like Lovenkrands and Leon Best?

That is exactly what that agent on SSN said yesterday :lol:

My cover blown :shifty:

Guest neesy111

To those who won't want to sign him.  What are the alternatives?  Because the amount of players available is going to be severely restricted in the 1st place.

Who on Danny Guthrie, who has proven to be f***ing utterly useless wherever he plays like I said.

err don't think it was any player in particular , just the idea of judging players and i've been saying danny guthrie was crap longer than you have. :rocky:

Guest neesy111

If there's not much cash on the go this month then spending most/all of it (apart from the Ben Arfa deal) on Bentley is a bit of a gamble like, it's got to be said.

All signings are gambles.  But we have to take them with the squad we are at.

Our best player (arguably) this season so far has just come from the Dutch league. Last time we were in this division our best player (arguably) had just arrived from France (second division iirc).

To those who won't want to sign him.  What are the alternatives?  Because the amount of players available is going to be severely restricted in the 1st place.

alternatives are seb larsson, keeping barton outside and buying a central player or some newer tiote type unknown.

Guest neesy111

alternatives are seb larsson, keeping barton outside and buying a central player or some newer tiote type unknown.

Seb Larsson isn't available, Bentley is.  Did you read the question ???

If there's not much cash on the go this month then spending most/all of it (apart from the Ben Arfa deal) on Bentley is a bit of a gamble like, it's got to be said.

All signings are gambles.  But we have to take them with the squad we are at.

Correct. Fuck me. :lol:

When we got Nolan and R.Taylor last time it worked a treat.