Monument Mall

Guest Tall Striker

Monument Mall is closing as the lease was up and the owners of the Mall seemingly had no interest in keeping NUFC there (plus lease prices were outrageous).

The Mall store used to be the biggest earner for NUFC but for various reasons is the one to go. Couple of staff have been moved elsewhere, most are being made redundant.

Store in the Metro Centre is closing for refurbishment and will reopen.

Btw they are all owned and run by the club, not franchisees as above

So does that mean the Eldon Sq Northumberland st store will be the only one in the city centre apart from the ground .

Yeah but remember, most clubs only have one store, at the ground, some might have a city centre store. We will still have 3 stores within Tyneside.

We have 6 stores (most of them opened in the last 4 years), and Barcelona's metro area has around 4 times the population of Tyneside.

• 1 month later...
Guest ObiChrisKenobi

As has already been mentioned in this thread, the rent at Monument Mall is insane. When I worked at Virgin Megastore the one thing that stopped the store ever making a profit was the insanely large rent they had to pay for 3 floors in Monument Mall.

Guest neesy111

The sports direct shop thing is also closing in the Monument

Sounds to me Monument Mall is getting refurbished.

Guest vainsharpdad

The old Boots store has been empty for years with no one coming to an agreement for the place...

The NUFC store in the mall has a weird layout, and isn't exactly huge, so I struggle to see anyone willing to snap it up fast, especially when they have a better layout store where Boots used to be thats been available for about 5 years.

I'm amazed that Boots has been closed since 2006 (I remember it closing whe n I worked in Toon)

First sign of the recession to me, that. When it is finally filled, we will be back in good times again.

The sports direct shop thing is also closing in the Monument

Sports Direct, or NUFC Club Shop?

"sports direct shop thing" is quite vague. Fairly sure the NUFC club shop in monument mall was shutting down or has shut down as well.

Weird old place, should be prime location yet they've forced everyone out. A bit of a blight on the city centre the way things are going.

Owned by Kuwait, don't know what they're playing it.