Ex-players you think we messed up on

James

Guest firetotheworks

Gillespie, Ferdinand, JDT, Viana, Bramble, Distin, Bellamy and Parker all spring to mind. Should be a few others when I get a second to think.

How do you think we messed up on Gillespie?

Guest firetotheworks

It's always a contentious issue with people on here, but one of the biggest ones for me is Dalglish's failure to get anything, let alone the genius out of Ginola.

Guest Heneage

I think Saha more than Rossi since Rossi always had eyes on bigger than us whereas Saha would have joined and we'd have had the best of him.

Are Parma and Villareal really bigger than us? What did Enrique choose when given the choice?

Rossi thought he'd make it at Manu at some point.

He left the summer after he was on loan at here and Parma though. So if we had used him more in those 4 months, chances are that we'd have had him for the whole season, so once he decided Manyoo wasn't an option, we would have been a very enticing option.

Parma wanted him badly, he pretty much kept them up. He wasn't interested.

Guest firetotheworks

Ginola was a weird one because while he was brilliant for Spurs, it was dropping him for Elliott that got us into the Champions League.

It's all ifs and buts. If Dalglish had got the best out of Ginola, we'd probably have got there anyway, but he didn't and one player went onto be one of the league's all-time greats, and the other didn't. Nor did Stephen Glass, Ketsbaia, Des Hamilton, or any other player that you want to class as a replacement for him.

Guest firetotheworks

Ginola said himself he became disillusioned here after Keegan convinced him to stay rather than go to Barcelona only for him to walk himself months later.

....and that when Dalglish came in, he knew straight away(while injured( that Dalglish wanted him out. Beresford has also said that Dalglish nastily ordered the coaches to wear him out when coming back from his injury, but Ginola actually worked his arse off, and got back to being class in training, and then didn't even get put in the squad by Dalglish.

Guest firetotheworks

Like I said, it's totally contentious. You have to weigh that up with Ginola going on to be the best player in the league the following season, and us and all of Dalglish's alternatives not being.

Backing that scrote N'Zogbia over Faye when they had a falling out and moving the big fella on was bad. He's a very stable centre back who I'd love to have alongside Coloccini.

JDT is the main one. He was never a target man but played their while Shearer recovered, lost form and we flogged him without giving him a real chance to play where he was best suited. He was immense the preseason we signed him too.

Viana.

There was a really good player in there somewhere, and I've always thought that the tired old cliches about 'not being suited to the English game etc' are excuses for bad coaching....but when you have one of the best managers in Europe and good players around you, you really have to wonder what else could have done.

There are players the club might have let down and players that never met their own potential for other reasons.