Short termism and NUFC fans.

RupertCommunicator

Is it just our fans, or do other clubs fans do it as well?

It seems that the majority (not everyone  :coolsmiley:) of our fans are incapable of seeing past the next ten seconds.  £35 million quid in the bank and people are on about replacing 7-8 of our starting XI.  Someone scores a hat trick and they are the next Shearer.  Misplace a pass and you should have your contract cancelled.

The thing that rams home how kneejerk our fans are is the way they suggest replacing our young players.  Why on earth would you want to shove aside the likes of Danny Simpson and Tim Krul when it is clear that they will be very good PL players in the near future?!  Have they not forgotten why we went down in 2009?

We've had our fingers burnt and have stood on the precipice and fortunately we are now back on the rise with this group of lads who now have a good chance of reestablishing us as a top 7 club.  Why would we want to tear apart our team only to buy another generation of Owens, Duffs, Martins and Bassongs when that manifestly didn't work the last time and nearly financially crippled us?

We have the basis of a good squad, yes it's thin, but we need to build around our key players whilst nurturing our younger ones to step up to the first team over the years.  I'd rather we spent 35 million on Connor Wickhams and other promising risks than trying to 'guarantee survival' next season.  FFS!  We are safe now as long as we don't decimate our team again!

Look 5-6 years into the future and we can become the next Arsenal.  Only look as far as the next game and we will consistently knee jerk our way to nowhere.

I basically agree Rupert me old chap, as for whether it's just us I have no idea.

It's easy for Arsenal fans to be long-termist as in the meantime they're playing brilliant football and challenging the top teams.

I think because NUFC is so important in people's lives, and because we've tasted success/great football/europe so recently, it's understandably difficult for people to accept the need to build gradually.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I basically agree Rupert me old chap, as for whether it's just us I have no idea.

It's easy for Arsenal fans to be long-termist as in the meantime they're playing brilliant football and challenging the top teams.

I think because NUFC is so important in people's lives, and because we've tasted success/great football/europe so recently, it's understandably difficult for people to accept the need to build gradually.

I'm coaching kids who had no idea Newcastle were ever once successful, made me feel really old.  :(

I'm coaching kids who had no idea Newcastle were ever once successful, made me feel really old.  :(

Jesus, I'm only 28 and that makes me feel ancient.

Spurs suddenly being a European powerhouse when we finished about them almost every season until very recently is one hilarious example of this.

Gives me hope of progress as well though, things in football can change very quickly.

Are they like this on SMB for example?  I never go on there because WUMism isn't my thing, but are they all unable to see past "ZOMG we need to win our next game not to be relegated!!!!!11111" when they are top half of the league?

Most of the stuff on there is about us. I'd say a lot of teams would have fans who display a lot of kneejerk reactions, just some teams fans do it more often/to a greater extent.

50,000+ crowds despite not winning the league in over 80 years = impatient.

Howay Dave, I know what you mean but you must know it's not as black and white as that.

People love NUFC obviously, and they can't imagine a life without going to the match. That doesn't mean that they don't think short term when they're considering the management of the club.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Jesus, I'm only 28 and that makes me feel ancient.

Spurs suddenly being a European powerhouse when we finished about them almost every season until very recently is one hilarious example of this.

Gives me hope of progress as well though, things in football can change very quickly.

It was pretty sad when I stopped and thought about it, these kids are only 6-7 years old, all they'll have known of Newcastle United are at the most Mike Ashley's reign as Owner.  :undecided:

50,000+ crowds despite not winning the league in over 80 years = impatient.

Howay Dave, I know what you mean but you must know it's not as black and white as that.

People love NUFC obviously, and they can't imagine a life without going to the match. That doesn't mean that they don't think short term when they're considering the management of the club.

50,000+ crowds when people aren't advocating a boycott of the games because of a decision they don't like, or saying how they no longer support the club.

'It seems that the majority of our fans are incapable of seeing past the next ten seconds.'

Not some, not even quite a few. The majority. Most.

In other news, I prefer to lose 4-3 than win 1-0, and I'd prefer to win the FA Cup than the league.

Fucking cliché bingo, no wonder others buy it.

Was there any part of that opening post that wasn't just a huge pile of attention seeking bollocks? :lol:

Not attention seeking, I'm just getting pissed off with much of what is said in this forum.  I'm not after an argument or anything, as everyone is entitled to their opinion and to debate it, but bloody hell man, have a read of some of the threads!

I'd say it's normal for fans of other clubs to be impatient, for young players to be judged too early and for the owner to be asked to get out his cheque book as the only way forward.

I'd agree with Ian W, that our long period of failure and the so-near-but-so-far disappointments of the last few years have probably made our supporters more jumpy than the average, especially when you consider how much the club means to the city.

The sort of signing we need to avoid is where we pay over the odds in fees and wages in order to secure a player who wouldn't normally sign for us (eg Owen) It places undue emphasis on the ability of one individual to transform a team. Unless you're going to pay over the odds to secure a number of players (eg Man City, Chelsea), it's not going to work. We can't afford that and the new financial rules ought to make that strategy impossible anyway.

I'd say it's normal for fans to be impatient, for young players to be judged too early and for the owner to be asked to get out his cheque book as the only way forward.

I'd agree with Ian W, that our long period of failure and the so-near-but-so-far disappointments of the last few years have probably made our supporters worse than the average, especially when you consider how much the club means to the city.

The sort of signing we need to avoid is where we pay over the odds in fees and wages in order to secure a player who wouldn't normally sign for us (eg Owen) It places undue emphasis on the ability of one individual to transform a team. Unless you're going to pay over the odds to secure a number of players (eg Man City, Chelsea), it's not going to work. We can't afford that and the new financial rules ought to make that strategy impossible anyway.

I'd love it to be the case, but I'm not convinced the financial fair play rules are strong enough.  There's still a huge amount of flex for the Chelseas, Man Citys and Real Madrids, unfortunately.