Short termism and NUFC fans.

RupertCommunicator

My only reservation is investing my hard earned £500 for ten years just to watch any player that has a modicum of talent depart the Club when either a serious offer comes in or they get tapped up with promises of even more filthy lucre elsewhere.

Yeah, buy you could buy 7-8 new first XI players for 35 million quid.

It seems that the majority (not everyone  :coolsmiley:) of our fans are incapable of seeing past the next ten seconds.

Nonsense, man. Half the of the fans are currently moaning about something that may or may not happen months and months from now.

Read Crumpy Gunt's post

Guest neesy111

Everything in football is geared for Short Termism nowadays.

unfortunate but true.

Also a pattern occurs that it's down to money imo.

A post I've just seen on another board, makes sense

There is a middle way, and that involves compromise from Ashley.

He got into this mess through his own fault, by not doing due diligence. It's up to him to get out of it, either with support or without it.

The idea of building for the future has been consistently undermined with sales of young players, Milner, Bassong, n'Zogbia, Carroll to name a few. The idea of stability has been undermined by the sacking of Hughton.

If he just wants to make money out of the club by selling talent on, he can come clean and tell us so we can just whether we want to commit to 10 year season ticket deals.

If he genuinely wants to develop the club, he can make a "wipe the slate clean" gesture. A genuine football man has to be installed as Chairman, preferably someone who the supporters trust and knows the club. I nominate Bobby Moncur. The Chairman has to commuicate with supporters not just tell us what is going on, but put a system in place recognising input from us.

His initial investment and loans are tied up. By selling players and making the club profitable, he has the means to start paying the loan back.

If we knew that repaying the loan was part of his intentions we could support that in the longer term, although some would disagree. If he shows that he wants to build the club into a force that can take advantage of the Platini proposls, then yes we would love it.

We want to be able to salute Newcastle's flagship with pride, rather than see it sunk without trace by Exocet Llambias, or even circling around at see with a faulty navigation system.

He got into this mess through his own fault, by not doing due diligence. It's up to him to get out of it, either with support or without it.

The idea of building for the future has been consistently undermined with sales of young players, Milner, Bassong, n'Zogbia, Carroll to name a few. The idea of stability has been undermined by the sacking of Hughton.

If he just wants to make money out of the club by selling talent on, he can come clean and tell us so we can just whether we want to commit to 10 year season ticket deals.

If he genuinely wants to develop the club, he can make a "wipe the slate clean" gesture. A genuine football man has to be installed as Chairman, preferably someone who the supporters trust and knows the club. I nominate Bobby Moncur. The Chairman has to commuicate with supporters not just tell us what is going on, but put a system in place recognising input from us.

His initial investment and loans are tied up. By selling players and making the club profitable, he has the means to start paying the loan back.

If we knew that repaying the loan was part of his intentions we could support that in the longer term, although some would disagree. If he shows that he wants to build the club into a force that can take advantage of the Platini proposls, then yes we would love it.

We want to be able to salute Newcastle's flagship with pride, rather than see it sunk without trace by Exocet Llambias, or even circling around at see with a faulty navigation system.

except it doesn't make sense. "if he wants to make money out of the club by selling talent on"...as far as we can tell that money has gone back into the club. as regards the chairman, what is it we need to know ? and he has taken notice of some things (ie singing section, family enclosure) but don't expect him to bend over backwards as it is HIS 200million on the line and he quite possibly feels he has put in enough and that it's time for the club to live financially on it's own.

It's your duty as a coach to show them DVDs of Philip Albert, Rob Lee and Les Ferdinand!

27, 26, and £6m 16 years ago for a 28 year old. Short termism at it's worst! These are the types of players RupertCommunicator assures us we should avoid knee-jerking our way into tearing apart our team with!!!! They manifestly didn't work the last time and nearly financially crippled us.

except it doesn't make sense. "if he wants to make money out of the club by selling talent on"...as far as we can tell that money has gone back into the club. as regards the chairman, what is it we need to know ? and he has taken notice of some things (ie singing section, family enclosure) but don't expect him to bend over backwards as it is HIS 200million on the line and he quite possibly feels he has put in enough and that it's time for the club to live financially on it's own.

It makes perfect sense to anyone who isn't just trying to be contrary

"if he wants to make money out of the club by selling talent on" obviously means from now on, not that it should need explaining

"if he wants to make money out of the club by selling talent on" obviously means from now on, not that it should need explaining

why from now on ?seems a bit arbitrary saying as he hasn't in the past.

I can see where the opening post is coming from, but I think generally NUFC fans are a lot better than we were. It is the vocal minority who might taint the general view though and lead to your conclusion.

Most fans see that survival was the goal for this season, and to be in a position where we are not going to be in a relegation scrap, and might finish top half, is an amazing season. Credit must be given to those from top to bottom, and those departed.

Most fans see that football finances are fucked, and that despite Ashley's way of doing things being a bit cack handed, the net result is a healthier run club better positioned for relative success when the new fair play rules come in.

Most fans see that £35m for a player who was not our best striker last year in the Championship, and has not been our best player (or even second or third best) this year, was silly money.

Most fan gagged at the idea of Pardew coming in, but are happy with his performance so far, and think he has earned the chance to succeed, and slowly build us up to a regulary top ten team, with Europe in 2 -3 years.

So I think most fans have a better long term view than you give them credit for

Explained above, unless he's just going to write off his loans of course

'His initial investment and loans are tied up. By selling players and making the club profitable, he has the means to start paying the loan back.'

Explained above, unless he's just going to write off his loans of course

'His initial investment and loans are tied up. By selling players and making the club profitable, he has the means to start paying the loan back.'

do you really want him to come clean on it......what message does that send out to other clubs when offering fees to our players and to other players we want to bring in ?

it's sad but true the honesty and  the business side of football can't go together.

I dont think its shortism, i just think that supporters haven't seen a decent long term plan to belive in since SBR left and before him KK and SJH.

Most of the time has been spent treading water and firefighting.

i look at other club's message boards quite often and i honestly think we have the best fans online here (nufc and others). sorry if that isn't negative enough for you rupert.

also you'll always find message boards are more knee jerky than ther majority of fans.

I think many just hold overly severe opinions. Ive done the same before, try not to now.

Realistically largely held views on this forum have been wrong so many times.

Nolan was s*** & wouldnt keep up the goals in the prem, Carroll was never going to be good enough, Simpson wasnt prem standard, Ameobi wasnt prem standard, Best wont score goals at this level & is still s*** to lots, Loven the same, Colo at one point also, Barton hadnt ever actually shown any ability for us, Willamson isnt good enough for this level, Harper isnt good enough, then Krul isnt good enough & Harpers class, Gutierrez isnt influential enough etc Only Tiote/Enrique have avoided any real criticism out of our entire squad. Ben Arfa to maybe, but hes barely played to get any either.

Theres been people on both sides of all these arguments, but most have backed some of these at some point. Yet these are the guys who have all partly helped us now start daydreaming about making Europe.

We dont have a great track record in being on the money tbh Yet many still go around with 100% conviction in their ideas as tbh many just love slating a player.

i look at other club's message boards quite often and i honestly think we have the best fans online here (nufc and others). sorry if that isn't negative enough for you rupert.

also you'll always find message boards are more knee jerky than ther majority of fans.

I find attitudes and opinions on here quite different to those at the match and in the pub afterwards.

May be because a lot of forum posters don't go to the match, but also that I'm watching/drinking mainly with long time fans who've seen it all before and supported the club through real bad times as well as the good years.

Yeah, it's often really weird how people who don't come on this forum hold totally different views.

My Dad gets all his opinions on NUFC from the back page of the Chronicle, others from elsewhere. I know places like True Faith tend to be very negative as well.

I don't have Sky TV and I don't buy tabloids, so I have another view again. And I'm a natural optimist!

So many points of view based on age, level of engagement, what papers you read, etc etc. Almost impossible to make any judgements about our fans in general.

I think this topic would go a lot better if the OP was worded slightly differently.

I agree with some of what was said in the OP and it has to be said that there are some horrific 'Knee Jerkers' on here who would sell 7-8 if the clubs players because of one bad performance. Good to use jonas as an example here then one good game and he should be given a chance rto show what he can really do.

Dave asked for evidence - Just look on the boards.

It was also menioned  that 50,00+ fans and 80 years of winning nothing makes people impatient, That maybe so but people still support teams who have NEVER won anything but they will still support them for the love of the club which they have.

I think that people can just get a bit emotional at times.

I think many just hold overly severe opinions. Ive done the same before, try not to now.

Realistically largely held views on this forum have been wrong so many times.

Nolan was s*** & wouldnt keep up the goals in the prem, Carroll was never going to be good enough, Simpson wasnt prem standard, Ameobi wasnt prem standard, Best wont score goals at this level & is still s*** to lots, Loven the same, Colo at one point also, Barton hadnt ever actually shown any ability for us, Willamson isnt good enough for this level, Harper isnt good enough, then Krul isnt good enough & Harpers class, Gutierrez isnt influential enough etc Only Tiote/Enrique have avoided any real criticism out of our entire squad. Ben Arfa to maybe, but hes barely played to get any either.

Theres been people on both sides of all these arguments, but most have backed some of these at some point. Yet these are the guys who have all partly helped us now start daydreaming about making Europe.

We dont have a great track record in being on the money tbh Yet many still go around with 100% conviction in their ideas as tbh many just love slating a player.

That's typical for many fans, and applies for us too: everything is black and white (no pun intended).  I think some should shift their focus. Instead of constantly being negative, look at the brighter aspects. Before this season the majority was satisfied if we avoided relegation. And it seems like we're doing so, with clear margins. We have a ok squad. We got some of the best talents we've had for many many years. And  class acts like HBA, Colo, Enrique, Tiote,  Barton, and Ireland (hopefully) That's 6 very good players (only 5 to go).  We've lost only one in nine matches. The squad is tightly knitted and we have a sound buying policy. That stands in contrast other clubs are on the other hand going ape on the transfer market. And the club, again in contrary to many other clubs, are getting the economy under control.. And MA is not interested in draining the club for money, for that he needs profit. Selling the best players will only decrease that chance,  since there's a tight connection between surplus and results on the pith.

In sum, there are many good things going on right now. I have not been this positive since Sir Bobby's days. MA has done some shit faults, but he's obviously making some right decisions too. So please try to be more positive, I find the negative yelling a bit tiresome sometimes.

In sum, there are many good things going on right now. I have not been this positive since Sir Bobby's days. MA has done some shit faults, but he's obviously making some right decisions too. So please try to be more positive, I find the negative yelling a bit tiresome sometimes.

Basically this is my feeling, I can't help be annoyed by all the hyper-negative views.