Trial by television

pinkeye

I was having, what I thought was, an intelligent conversation about the Rooney incident with a Man Utd fan earlier.  Suggesting to him that he may need to remove his blinkers and red coloured glasses (Metaphorically)to really understand the opinions of other people and the fact that everyone (except Man Utd fans) is enraged by the Rooney / Clattenberg issue and that Rooney should be serving a lengthy ban right now.

You wouldn't guess his response and immediate defence of Rooney's actions:

"What about when Shearer stamped on Neil Lennon's head and didn't get any sanctions against him?"

I had to exit the conversation and give up.  What is the point?  Their only defence is to throw counter accusations and vitriolic bollocks about.  I am truly saddened that their grip on reality has completely gone.....

Karma's a Bitch!!! 

Maybe the Ref last night was working on the principle that Rooney wasn't playing because he was suspended so therefore there was no-one for Luiz to foul.

haha - at least Chelsea had the sense to take off Luiz when it was getting frantic and he had a yellow. Bet Fergie wishes he had thought of that with Vidic.

Karma  :mackems:

I was having, what I thought was, an intelligent conversation about the Rooney incident with a Man Utd fan earlier.  Suggesting to him that he may need to remove his blinkers and red coloured glasses (Metaphorically)to really understand the opinions of other people and the fact that everyone (except Man Utd fans) is enraged by the Rooney / Clattenberg issue and that Rooney should be serving a lengthy ban right now.

You wouldn't guess his response and immediate defence of Rooney's actions:

"What about when Shearer stamped on Neil Lennon's head and didn't get any sanctions against him?"

I had to exit the conversation and give up.  What is the point?  Their only defence is to throw counter accusations and vitriolic bollocks about.  I am truly saddened that their grip on reality has completely gone.....

unless you replied "shearer was wrong and should've been banned and i said so at the time" he has a point.

I actually replied that I thought it was typical of the selfrighteous and sanctimoneous comments that I would have expected from a Man Utd fan and that what Shearer did has no bearing or relation to the converstaion we were having.

However, for the record I think Shearer was bang out of order for the stamp, totally out of character and he should have been punished by way of a lengthy ban - even though at the time of talking to the Man Utd fan I didn't feel it necessary to say that.  Plus it was practically 15 years ago or something! 

On another note; is it just me that finds them talking about Man Utd and referring to them as just "United" irritating?  And then you get the ones that claim that they were season ticket holders but, chucked them in when the Glazers took over and started to follow FC United calling Man Utd "Big Utd", I mean how fucking pathetic??  Big United?  Jesus christ!

It was in the run-up to France '98 and Shearer (allegedly) refused to play for England in the World Cup if the FA did him for it.

Pretty shocking really. :lol:

Correct and - if true - shocking behaviour.  No-one knows 100% that is really what happened though is it?

It was in the run-up to France '98 and Shearer (allegedly) refused to play for England in the World Cup if the FA did him for it.

Correct and - if true - shocking behaviour.  No-one knows 100% that is really what happened though is it?

What should be remembered is that Lennon defended Shearer infront of the FA commission and that was part of the reason nothing happened, he's not exactly one to be pressured, he's received death threats for most of his career. :undecided:

What should be remembered is that Lennon defended Shearer infront of the FA commission and that was part of the reason nothing happened, he's not exactly one to be pressured, he's received death threats for most of his career. :undecided:

just didn't want to be seen as a grass.

just didn't want to be seen as a grass.

Shit scared of Shearer.

• 3 weeks later...

If I was NUFC I'd make an official complaint to the FA that the video evidence 'rule' doesn't seem to apply to Newcastle unless it is being used against our players.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/03/21/cowardly-ricardo-fuller-lunge-is-blasted-72703-28375191/

Cowardly Ricardo Fuller lunge is blasted

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Mar 21 2011

ALAN PARDEW has hit out at Stoke City striker Ricardo Fuller after his cowardly off the ball swipe at Joey Barton at the Britannia Stadium.

The Scouser – as expected – endured his usual rough ride from the home fans in the Potteries and barely flinched despite the intense provocation being hurled in his direction when trying to take corners and set-plays.

Barton also suffered similar treatment from Stoke players to that of the away trip to Wolves back in August when Karl Henry carried out a series of brutal fouls.

At Stoke, Matthew Etherington only escaped with a yellow card for a cynical foul on the ex-Man City man but it was Fuller’s sneaky attack behind referee Lee Mason’s back that incensed Barton after being booted in the air by the former Southampton man.

The Chronicle understands that the FA are unlikely to look at video evidence in the same manner that earned Barton a three-game ban earlier in the season for a clash with Morten Gamst Pedersen.

Pardew told the Chronicle: “Joey becomes a target for home fans on away days for us – and everybody else in the game.

“He handles it particularly well. I thought he played very well.”

Mason had his back to the incident at the end of the second half but the foul would surely have earned a red card if he’d have spotted it.

To add insult to injury, Fuller put the lid on the game with a goal just moments later.

Pardew said: “I saw it.

“It was clear.

“Fuller just kicked him – it was obvious.

“All Joey then did was try to ask Fuller what he was doing.”

Toon fans were just happy to see Barton back on the pitch after a two-game absence with a thigh injury.

The midfielder tried hard to make United kick and almost scored with a free-kick in the second period.

But while the defeat at Stoke was disappointing for the 2,750 United supporters, they will at least be happy to learn that Barton came through the game unscathed and will be fit to play against the same Wolves team who targeted him do brutally in August.

Other than amongst Newcastle fans there seems to have been very little said about Fuller's kick at Barton.

I find it annoying as whenever it is Barton that causes the trouble there is always numerous media outlets ready to have a dig but when he is the victim it's always things like a "contact sport" or "part of the game" etc which infuriates me, I'd love to see us put in an offical complaint but can't see it happening or anything changing.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/03/27/tv-loophole-lets-ricardo-fuller-off-the-hook-79310-28410063/

TV loophole lets Ricardo Fuller off the hook

Mar 27 2011 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

FORTUNATE Ricardo Fuller has escaped punishment for his off-the-ball kick at Joey Barton – because TV cameras didn’t capture the incident.

After being contacted by fans the Football Association DID launch an investigation after the Stoke striker took aim at the Newcastle midfielder late in the 4-0 drubbing at the Britannia Stadium, an incident missed by referee Lee Mason, his assistants and the fourth official.

That opens Fuller up to the kind of retrospective action that nailed Barton earlier in the season for punching Blackburn midfielder Morten Gamst Pederson but the FA couldn’t track down any footage.

The Sunday Sun has learned that the FA wrote to Stoke and the TV companies covering the game to try and find video of the incident but their efforts came to nothing. And that means that they have to reluctantly end their investigation.

An FA spokesman said: “We are mandated to enquire about incidents when they have been brought to our attention and we can confirm we received correspondence in relation to this matter.

“But as with any retrospective incident, we can only bring action when there is evidence and although we made extensive efforts to track down footage from broadcasters we have found that none exists.

“We have exhausted efforts to obtain footage which we could allow us to consider the matter and on that basis we will not be bringing any charges.

“We appreciate the views of those who took the time to contact us be we cannot bring a charge where there is no evidence, as we would have to prove any charge at an independent commission.

“It is very unusual that in a high profile Premier League fixture we come up against this problem.”

Newcastle have been hit by retrospective action three times this season – when Barton clashed with Pederson and when Fabricio Coloccini and Mike Williamson were handed bans for offences during the 5-1 loss at Bolton.

Interesting to know people can contact the FA to get them to investigate incidents. When we last played Wolves MOTD compiled what they though was a hilarious clips collection of Wolves players kicking the shit out of Barton. In hindsight Newcastle should have asked the FA to investigate.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Have to admit; didn't really see or notice Fuller's kick during the game.

Why didn't you come to the game in the morning?!

I wasn't in Stoke.