Trial by television

pinkeye

seriously does anyone think if it were someone other than rooney (for sake of example and not even to use one of our lads-well not to use barton as thats too obvious) lets say it was reversed and mccarthy had done that, they wouldn't have waited 5 seconds to charge him and ban him, as it is i'm half surprised they haven't charged him for getting in rooneys way

Guest NewBoyPeetah

I don't think this has anything to do with the media, it's not like they're hounding an innocent player down. Rooney committed a red card offense and he should be punished for that. I'm astonished that he's getting off scot free. There should be retrospective punishments for this and for a lot of other things, mainly diving!

People keep telling me that the tv shows the ref wasn't looking but what the hell were the linesmen doing?

People keep telling me that the tv shows the ref wasn't looking but what the hell were the linesmen doing?

The ref was facing in the general direction, but it was from behind the angle Rooney was running from, so there is absolutely no way he could have seen the elbow.

Guest NewBoyPeetah

The ref was facing in the general direction, but it was from behind the angle Rooney was running from, so there is absolutely no way he could have seen the elbow.

That may be so but the linesmen are a lot further away and therefor afforded a much wider view of the goings on. A little help from one of them and this would be sorted!

That may be so but the linesmen are a lot further away and therefor afforded a much wider view of the goings on. A little help from one of them and this would be sorted!

Yes definitely, but the ball wasn't anywhere near the incident so it would be understandable if they didn't see it. A bit of balls from Clattenburg (to admit his mistake) and/or The FA and it would be sorted.

What's the difference between saying "I didn't see the incident, and I didn't see the full extent of the incident".

Either way, the referee is saying that he didn't have enough information available to make the same decision he would have made had he known more.

I'd like to see referees have 24 window to review any incidents and then say "My on-field ruling was given based on the view of the incident that I had, but had I been able to base my decision on the additional information available to me, I would have acted differently".

Which is the same as saying "i didn't see it......FA over to you"

i think it's disgusting that this will probably get brushed under the carpet now and forgotten, the other clubs in the league should not stand for this favouritism of man united. If that was any player for any club maybe not top-4 clubs but any other club they would have been slapped with a minimum 3 game ban for violent conduct. 

It's another example of Fergie bullying the FA with his little comment about their being a silly witch hunt on rooney he was basically making it clear if rooney got banned he would make their lives hell and probably pull players out of england squads etc which of course he can do unlike us with ranger apparently.

It's just another case whereby the FA choose not to act because their referee saw and acted upon the incident.

Just goes to show how stupid a rule it is.

yep, all based upon the fact that you cant possibly suggest a referee got something wrong. they're not humans, they're REFEREES

Would you have said the same if he'd fractured the bloke's cheekbone Cronky? The Wigan lad would have solid grounds for a common assault charge as it stands, seeing as the FA refuse to uphold the laws.

It's the intention behind the clash, not the result, that the ref has to judge. So yeah, nothing would change if the player had got injured.

I think the current rule makes sense. There's a significant difference between acting on something that the ref hasn't spotted at all, and over-turning his judgement on something that he has seen. The principle of upholding the ref's decision, fallible though it may be, is very important.

You concede the fallibility inherent in the process, yet give no reason as to why you think it is important that process is maintained. Given the topic title, subsequent video footage should be one of the areas that empower the FA imo.

Well, there's fallibility in that a ref doesn't have eyes in his arse and can't be expected to see everything that happens on the pitch. Then there's fallibility in the sense that a lot of a ref's decisions are one of opinion rather than fact, and have to be made from one angle and in a split second.

I'm very wary of authorities trying to intervene on the second kind of incident. It comes down to where do you draw the line. We could end up with the FA reviewing nearly every red or yellow card after the match, plus every incident that might have been a red or yellow card. Not only are these judgements difficult to make with any certainty, we'd simply be wasting too much time.

Guest neesy111

If Clattenberg has thought a free-kick was sufficient punishment, then he should not referee another football game ever again imo.

The FA fucking bangs about this 'Respect' campaign.  Well it has to be both fucking ways.

Who was it who mentioned that if a ref comes out and admits he got it wrong he automatically gets demoted for a game? Or did I just make that up? ???

Had it been McArthur who smashed his elbow into Rooney's head the action would have been taken. He's got away with it big time. 

If Clattenberg has thought a free-kick was sufficient punishment, then he should not referee another football game ever again imo.

The FA fucking bangs about this 'Respect' campaign.  Well it has to be both fucking ways.

Are referees not allowed to make mistakes at all?

The FA f***ing bangs about this 'Respect' campaign.  Well it has to be both f***ing ways.

Mistakes are fine, but to try and defend one after seeing a replay that clearly shows it was one is unacceptable.

Guest neesy111

The FA f***ing bangs about this 'Respect' campaign.  Well it has to be both f***ing ways.

Mistakes are fine, but to try and defend one after seeing a replay that clearly shows it was one is unacceptable.

This.  Clattenberg has dug himself into a very large hole from this.

Clattenberg should never be allowed anywhere near a football match in an official capacity ever again. Rooney should be banned for the rest of the season.

This goes back years...Manchester United getting away with fucking murder....and it had ramifications for us too.Had Cantona received a life ban he deserved for his assault on that Palace fan,we'd have won the League in 95-96.And that's without mentioning the Rio missed drugs test bullshit they got away with too.

It's not just the Man United effect, it's the England player effect.  When you've got a team full of wankers you don't want them sitting out 3 games in every 10 and you don't want to piss off their managers who are already annoyed at then getting worn out/injured on international duty so you let them get away with murder.

Of course this means they get used to it and do stupid fucking things like clapping in the refs face on the international stage when the officials don't give a fuck if you're an England player or a Man U player.

Just saw the incident.

What the fuck is that honestly, dirty little scumbag that little Shrek.

That was just terrible, I actually laughed a bit cause its a ridiculous elbow.

You want to hear the Man Utd fans whine about how badly treated they think they were last night against Chelsea.

Fuckin hell, they get a ref who treats them the way that every other more "lowly" team is treated and they kick off big time!  To cap it all they got beat so the dummys are truly out!

What a shame eh?  Cunts!