Twitter nonsense

Thespence

When you buy goods irl who pays the tax? the buyer. Not saying its the same for football, but it's 50-50 that it could be

what is capital gains tax then ?

Has this really becoming a discussion on tax in football?

Player trading does not trigger any capital gain, it is a revenue transaction. The selling club would pay corporation tax on any profit on a sale (based on the players accounting/ammortised value). A loss could also be made, reducing the tax liability.

Not sure on whether player sales are outside of VAT scope or not, but if not then the ultimate purchaser would pay the VAT. Clubs will be VAT registered so would claim back any VAT paid so it is only a cashflow implication, ultimately any VAT flowing from football tansactions is picked up by the fans on ticket sales etc.

VAT is charged on UK sales ie Carroll to Liverpool. Its different with sales and purchases outside the Uk. So where you could claim the VAT you paid on the profit/sale of Carroll against purchases of other players they have to come from the UK. Otherwise you can`t claim it against.

Ever filed a VAT return?

Not twitter but just overheard someone at work (Man U fan) saying that O'Shea would get into our first team or Spurs' or Everton's, all of which have better players than him at the back. Utterly clueless :lol:

Really irritates me to be honest, fair few Man U fans at work and all they ever talk shit about football.

Guest palnese

Into the starting XI? No chance. Offers fuck all going forward if he plays full back and he's no better than any of our centre backs.

He's better than Simpson, Williamson and Taylor.

Into the starting XI? No chance. Offers f*** all going forward if he plays full back and he's no better than any of our centre backs.

He's better than Simpson, Williamson and Taylor.

He's a vastly overrated footballer playing average football in a very good team. He's no better than Simpson at RB, Williamson yeah he probably has the edge but Taylor has shown himself to be decent in defence and offers more of a threat in the box from set pieces. Just my opinion obviously but I feel he's helped by this illusion that he's adept at playing the holding role as well as across the back four.

He's better than Simpson. He'll still be massively exposed once he comes out of the bubble of being a Manchester United utility man though.

Precisely my point.

He's better than Simpson. He'll still be massively exposed once he comes out of the bubble of being a Manchester United utility man though.

Precisely my point.

Phil Neville wasn't and he was every bit the utility man that O'Shea is.

O'Shea is actually a pretty average footballer. Even surrounded by Manchester United players I've still seen him be utterly roasted at times.

He can cover a number of positions because he's not that great at any of them. Once he steps down to a mid-level team he'll be exposed IMO. Obviously not exposed as in not good enough for the Premiership or that team, but exposed as "hey, this is pretty much his level".

He is better than Simpson, but I would never say he'd be a 'excellent signing' for us. He'd be the typical ex-Man U player with absolutely zero motivation to do anything for us.

O'Shea is actually a pretty average footballer. Even surrounded by Manchester United players I've still seen him be utterly roasted at times.

He can cover a number of positions because he's not that great at any of them. Once he steps down to a mid-level team he'll be exposed IMO. Obviously not exposed as in not good enough for the Premiership or that team, but exposed as "hey, this is pretty much his level".

He is better than Simpson, but I would never say he'd be a 'excellent signing' for us. He'd be the typical ex-Man U player with absolutely zero motivation to do anything for us.

He would be an excellent signing for his versatility rather than him being an excellent player, I remember Pardew saying at the end of last season that he was looking for someone in the Phil Neville style that can cover multiple position and O'Shea can do that to a reasonably good standard at this level.

EDIT:Pardew said: "I don't necessarily want two top level left-backs, but you need somebody who is comfortable playing there. You need somebody like Phil Neville at Everton who can play left-back, right-back, centre midfield. That saves you a lot of money.

"A Phil Neville in the squad last Saturday would have got us a victory. A player like that would be important to us next year - I don't mean two players in every position, I mean a wide player who can play on both wings for example.

Aye, and O'Shea always preforms decently for Ireland too. His best position is RB imo and he is quite a bit better than Simpson. Him at CB against Taylor/ Willo? Much of a muchness.

:thup:

Would be like signing a whole new Smith or Nicky Butt imo except that he's more versatile.

Precisely my point.

Phil Neville wasn't and he was every bit the utility man that O'Shea is.

Eh? Phil Neville was better than O'Shea, and he instigated the move to Everton because he wanted a new challenge.

O'Shea will be getting dumped onto a new team with very little motivation to play for them other than his hefty wage which distorts his actual ability level due to playing for Man United for the last decade. I do find it quite surprising that people continue to endorse the signing of Manure squad cast offs after experiencing some of the utter shite we've had thrown our way.

It's just purchasing at best mediocrity and reliability rather than what clubs like ourselves should be doing and speculating to accumulate with younger, up and coming players with room for imporvement.

He would be an excellent signing for his versatility rather than him being an excellent player, I remember Pardew saying at the end of last season that he was looking for someone in the Phil Neville style that can cover multiple position and O'Shea can do that to a reasonably good standard at this level.

EDIT:Pardew said: "I don't necessarily want two top level left-backs, but you need somebody who is comfortable playing there. You need somebody like Phil Neville at Everton who can play left-back, right-back, centre midfield. That saves you a lot of money.

"A Phil Neville in the squad last Saturday would have got us a victory. A player like that would be important to us next year - I don't mean two players in every position, I mean a wide player who can play on both wings for example.

Nothing wrong with having a utility player as long as he's good enough to be first choice in whatever position he's bought for when played regularly. He's cover for the most part at Man U. At Newcastle he'd be first choice so which position would we be expecting him to take?

LukeEdwardsTele  Luke Edwards

#nufc fans will be interested to see how Larsson does @ #safc given he turned down a move to SJP in Jan. Extra spice for derby day on Aug 20

YAWN.

Not arsed in the slightest.

LukeEdwardsTele  Luke Edwards

#nufc fans will be interested to see how Larsson does @ #safc given he turned down a move to SJP in Jan. Extra spice for derby day on Aug 20

Edwards showing his lack of knowledge since brum pulled out of the deal not him.

Should be ashamed of himself but I doubt it

Update:  LukeEdwardsTele  Luke Edwards

#nufc fans not happy at suggestion Larsson turned them down so ducking for cover. Birmingham pulled plug, but Larsson also rejected terms

:lol: What a mong, can't believe I thought he was a "reliable source" when I first signed up to Twitter.

Agreed (with Sewelly about Man U cast-offs) . I never said we should sign him (did anyone?), just that he would get in our first XI as he is a considerably better RB than Simpson.

Agreed . I never said we should sign him (did anyone?), just that he would get in out XI as he is a considerably better RB than Simpson.

Baggio said he'd be an excellent signing for us. Which I couldn't disagree with more. Nothing would say "This is where we belong on the footballing pyramid" more than buying aging, never-that-good-in-the-first-place, 'Mr. Reliable', Man United cast offs like John O'Shea on big wages. Whether or not he is better than Simpson is besides the point (I do think he is).

Agreed . I never said we should sign him (did anyone?), just that he would get in out XI as he is a considerably better RB than Simpson.

Baggio said he'd be an excellent signing for us. Which I couldn't disagree with more. Nothing would say "This is where we belong on the footballing pyramid" more than buying aging, never-that-good-in-the-first-place, 'Mr. Reliable', Man United cast offs like John O'Shea on big wages. Whether or not he is better than Simpson is besides the point (I do think he is).

He probably is but not by much. So what's the point?

O'Shea's shite. He's not what we need at all. He's old, slow and wouldn't be able to cope in a team that's under pressure for long periods throughout a match. His best attributes are probably his positioning and anticipation, but that only gets you so far when you're playing for a team like ours.