Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

I think he's intelligent enough to learn to use his attributes better for us. Let's not forget he hasn't played regular football for ages and has come into two of the toughest games of the season. Prepared to give a lot more time to improve.

Fair point. Just look at Jonas who wasn't even a youngster when he joined us. People laughed at the idea he could work on his crossing at his age, but he's definitely improved that side of his game.

Reminded me a little bit of a taller Routledge.  Has the ability to beat his man via pace or skill, yet lacked the confidence to do so and kept cutting back.

Mistimes his jumps for headers as well and his tracking back, lack of interest was a bit shite.  Was pretty poor on Saturday, but I would like to think given a bit of time and a run of matches he will improve and try and take the full back on. 

That said, I reckon with everyone fit, he'll do pretty well to get in the first XI.  Maybe he's better to have as an impact player off the bench, playing more centrally or starting games at home against so called lesser teams.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

He's got a lot more skill and technique than Routledge, faster too.

Think he has a lot of potential.

He's got a lot more skill and technique than Routledge, faster too.

Think he has a lot of potential.

For sure, I don't for one minute think he's on a par or massively similar as a player, just thought it was a bit like watching Lil Wayne at times.

Wasn't that impressed with Obertan on Saturday, certainley room for improvement, I think he could become an asset for us, but when Ben Arfa is back I can see him being a sub anyway. With his pace and skill he will be a good weapon to bring on against tiring defences.

There were a couple of times on Saturday I was hoping he would try and beat his man but like others has said he seemed to lack that confidence to try it.

i thought he gave us a threat in behind in the second half and did a good job carrying the ball 30/40 yards up field for us when we needed it/ he could learn an awful lot from jonas though in terms of working hard when he loses it and how and when to win free kicks.

there was one moment when there was only 1 defender between him and the goal and he could've just motored past him but tried to meg him and f***ed it up, frustrating

I didn't think he even tried to nutmeg, just ran the ball straight to defender.

Routledge had a far better game than he did on saturday.

Anyway, i do think hes got ability. Bit dissapointed by the way he just looked sad & weak when things went against him, didnt see much passion. Needs to step it up again.

Routledge had a far better game than he did on saturday.

Anyway, i do think hes got ability. Bit dissapointed by the way he just looked sad & weak when things went against him, didnt see much passion. Needs to step it up again.

Routledge looks like he's more comfortable at a low profile club. Whenever he's been on a bigger stage he's wilted. That said, it looks like we might have replaced him with a similar player if what Man U fans are saying is true. But he deserves a chance to prove them wrong and he hasn't had anywhere near the number of games Routledge did yet.

Still a bit worried about RM without Barton. Guess Jonas is the option there with Marveaux/HBA left. With neither of those having played a game yet, it is a bit of a concern.

Ian, no...

What has this summer done to you!?

Still a bit worried about RM without Barton. Guess Jonas is the option there with Marveaux/HBA left. With neither of those having played a game yet, it is a bit of a concern.

Definitely. He will/would be missed. There's really no contesting that.

I think Jonas might offer us a bit more in that area. He'll actually stay wide for a start which will open the pitch up.

First choice RM if Barton goes?

i think jonas will get moved over and marveaux will start lm once fully fit

That would be the sensible option, at least for the short term.

No, this is a 5 year plan