Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Charlie Nicholas did mention that yesterday about us being outnumbered in midfield against Wigan.

Can't remember a visiting team working so hard. Wigan ran themselves into the ground and were hard done by really to go away with nothing.

+ Wasn't afraid to take people on

+ Attempted to track back at times and at one point broke up a Wigan counter while Danny Simpson was chatting up the opposition corner flag

- Needs to look up after he's beaten a man

- Poor decision making

Really? To me he looked very reluctant to do so. 8 times out of 10, slowed the play right down and faced up to the fullback, before turning back or passing across.

It was very rare that he took it to the by-line and crossed (especially in the 2nd half). That's what he needs to do more IMO. Just run at the fullback and throw a ball into the box - he seems reluctant to take any real risks atm.

Can't remember the last player we did that to. Only other time I can remember that happen was when Arsenal fans did it, but can't even remember the player it was aimed at.

Do you remember that game where the Liverpool fans cheered when we brought on Titus Bramble? think it was a Boxing Day match.

:lol:

Gabriel Obertan has been no worse than Hatem Ben Arfa. Sick of twats amongst our own support making him the scapegoat for everything wrong in the team. If people had the same opinion as me the world would be a nicer place.

heza09. People might be exaggerating but Ben Arfa came in and looked lively. Remember he's been out for over a year and he has tried to do stuff, getting caught many times but his movement and everything is intelligent. Not been up to the standard I think we'll see him at, but much better than what Obertan has produced thus far.

Obertan seems like a player with bags of potential but with absolutely nothing inside of the big head. His dribbling is very awkward, shot weak. However he does help the team in the way we get some width, but he is so frustrating and is absolutely no threat, I guess you could double mark Jonas and leave him alone on a side because he seems to be so scared. Shows attitude at times by tracking back, but he is along with Simpson (and Raylors first matches) the players who need to sit on the bench.

heza09. People might be exaggerating but Ben Arfa came in and looked lively. Remember he's been out for over a year and he has tried to do stuff, getting caught many times but his movement and everything is intelligent. Not been up to the standard I think we'll see him at, but much better than what Obertan has produced thus far.

Obertan seems like a player with bags of potential but with absolutely nothing inside of the big head. His dribbling is very awkward, shot weak. However he does help the team in the way we get some width, but he is so frustrating and is absolutely no threat, I guess you could double mark Jonas and leave him alone on a side because he seems to be so scared. Shows attitude at times by tracking back, but he is along with Simpson (and Raylors first matches) the players who need to sit on the bench.

Looking lively doesn't make you a good footballer, or mean you performed well. A chef can cook 50 meals in an hour but it doesn't mean they're tasty.

Looking lively doesn't make you a good footballer, or mean you performed well. A chef can cook 50 meals in an hour but it doesn't mean they're tasty.

No it certainly doesn't, but  an absolute crap performance does make you the scapegoat sometimes. Ben Arfa has been out for a 1 year and a bit more, and has the intelligence at least to when he's not performing well help the ball movement on the field. In 45mins he was closer to scoring than Obertan has in 7-8 games.

No it certainly doesn't, but  an absolute crap performance does make you the scapegoat sometimes. Ben Arfa has been out for a 1 year and a bit more, and has the intelligence at least to when he's not performing well help the ball movement on the field. In 45mins he was closer to scoring than Obertan has in 7-8 games.

He's in more of a sausage role to do so. Angel Gabriel is a provider  - even though he hasn't really provided. Ben Arfa lost the ball in dangerous areas yesterday, and against a better side it would have cost us. He's also (understandably) less effective in defensive situations. Obertan may be average/shit but he's useful when we don't have the ball. Ben Arfa cannot do owt wrong for a lot of people, it's canny stupid tbh.

He's in more of a sausage role to do so. Angel Gabriel is a provider  - even though he hasn't really provided. Ben Arfa lost the ball in dangerous areas yesterday, and against a better side it would have cost us. He's also (understandably) less effective in defensive situations. Obertan may be average/shit but he's useful when we don't have the ball. Ben Arfa cannot do owt wrong for a lot of people, it's canny stupid tbh.

Two good posts fella.  O0

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Are we really discussing the relative merits of Gabriel Obertan and Hatem Ben Arfa? The fact that they're mentioned in the same sentence absolutely sickens me.

That's surprising.

Every winger should support the fullback tbh.

Ben Arfa tracked back a lot against Everton for what it's worth, and probably will again once he gets his sharpness back.

Except Hatem isn't playing like a winger?

What are people on about, Ben Arfa provides more of a threat than Obertan. End of story.