Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

The blob didn't do anything wrong in conceding two close range headers.  Mourinho know how shit blob is and order his players to cross to the deep far post that results the goals. You can see Man Utd intentionally cross all the balls to the deep end including corners.

He didn't do anything wrong.  He is just found out and exposed.

The blob didn't do anything wrong in conceding two close range headers.  Mourinho know how shit blob is and order his players to cross to the deep far post that results the goals. You can see Man Utd intentionally cross all the balls to the deep end including corners.

I concur.

Guest neesy111

Gives Wallsend a bad name.

Greg  [emoji38]

I'm just being silly. Didn't someone say that to you on here a few weeks ago?

Can't remember tbh. Don't take much notice of what gets said on here. Nice that you do though  [emoji38]

:spit:. :mackems:

Sums it up nicely. Perhaps a top level keeper saves the first two. But he isn’t a top level keeper and we are not a top team. So it’s kind of a moot point.

I was more worried by how lost he is on every set piece and cross, he always seems glued to his line. Always thought his command of his area is poor and takes odd angles 1 on 1. He went full rogue last night when coming out his box for no reason, only for Manquillo to bail him out.

We are a Pl club though and he is not a PL keeper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct, but as triggs rightly pointed out (and I and others have said for weeks), people need to get over themselves and stop blaming him for every single goal we concede, despite absolutely no fault lying at his door.

People have a massive chip on their shoulder about Elliot and it’s really sad. A bloke who isn’t good enough, but has to play because we have nobody better, always gives 100% and frequently talks sense whenever I’ve read (an official) interview with him.

It’s not his fault that the club has been so badly underfunded that he’s our best GK option. The constant abuse he receives on here is pathetic, thankfully it’s just a weird phenomenon on here and it’s not repeated in the stands.

If he was good enough, but didn’t give his all and was shit because of that, I’d understand it - but he’s a limited player that is trying his best.

Guest Howaythetoon

Good shot stopper, and that's it.

He's probably the least of our problems at the moment to be fair, but you just know an all-round commanding goal-keeper can make a huge difference even just to the mindset and confidence of the back-four never mind anything else so we badly need a huge upgrade between the sticks.

He's probably the least of our problems at the moment to be fair, but you just know an all-round commanding goal-keeper can make a huge difference even just to the mindset and confidence of the back-four never mind anything else so we badly need a huge upgrade between the sticks.

He really is a problem though. With so many of our games being so tight and ending 1-0 either way, a good 'keeper could really make a significant difference this season.

It's criminal that Rafa wasn't allowed to bring in proven 'keeper.

He really is a problem though. With so many of our games being so tight and ending 1-0 either way, a good 'keeper could really make a significant difference this season.

I thought the same but tbf you could make that same argument for every position on the pitch. We're dealing in such fine margins at the moment that a good bit of play or a bad bit of play anywhere on the pitch could be the difference between winning/losing, not just the goalie.

Guest Howaythetoon

It's criminal that Rafa wasn't allowed to bring in proven 'keeper.

Oh I agree RE your points, but in terms of personnel, I don't think he's number one priority for replacement.

Our whole transfer business this summer was criminal. To be 11th at this stage isn't too bad all things considered. I'd certainly snap anyone's hands off if they could guarantee that is where we finish come the end of the season

I thought the same but tbf you could make that same argument for every position on the pitch. We're dealing in such fine margins at the moment that a good bit of play or a bad bit of play anywhere on the pitch could be the difference between winning/losing, not just the goalie.

Yes and no. With outfield players you can often carry one or two that aren't good enough and still get away with things if you operate well tactically and as a unit. With a 'keeper this doesn't really apply.

Yes and no. With outfield players you can often carry one or two that aren't good enough and still get away with things if you operate well tactically and as a unit. With a 'keeper this doesn't really apply.

Yeah fair play, I get that. I will say though, it's much easier to highlight a goalkeeping error or shortcoming in relation to a goal conceded, but I would say those fine margins we're talking about can also be affected/decided by something seemingly as small as losing possession on half way and inviting pressure onto the team, making us drop deeper and maybe conceding from a subsequent corner. In that instance it's had the same deciding role in the game but is less glaringly obvious than a perceived goalkeeper error.

I'd also say some of the criticism of Elliot has been fair at times this season, but in other times it's been unfair and unjust. He has become the scapegoat which is a shame because he gives his all and he's a really likeable guy, not only that but he has and continues to be a decent keeper for us. I wonder if we had bought a keeper for decent money, and he performed to around the same level as Elliot, would he get the same amount of stick or would people be going easier on him.

I agree with you until the last part. He's comfortably the worst 'keeper in the league (starting regularly). He doesn't make howlers though and is quite clam so it doesn't get picked up by the media but he is putting us under pressure and conceding easy goals every game. He's just not good enough for this level, he was brought in to be a steady backup and it would fine if he was and we had a decent 'keeper in his place.

Your last point is nonsense. You must have a short memory  - Matz Sels got plenty of stick.

I agree with you until the last part. He's comfortably the worst 'keeper in the league (starting regularly). He doesn't make howlers though and is quite clam so it doesn't get picked up by the media but he is putting us under pressure and conceding easy goals every game. He's just not good enough for this level, he was brought in to be a steady backup and it would fine if he was and we had a decent 'keeper in his place.

Your last point is nonsense. You must have a short memory  - Matz Sels got plenty of stick.

I actually wrote it with that in mind. Matz Sels was particularly bad and it was much clearer to me why he was getting the stick he was. He looked nervous and unassured in the role that requires arguably the most confidence on the pitch. Rob Elliot hasn't been that bad, yes he's slow in getting down to shots sometimes, but that's a different conversation to Sels' performances. You may disagree like, and I'm more than happy to hear why as I do actually agree with a lot of what you're saying. :thup:

I actually wrote it with that in mind. Matz Sels was particularly bad and it was much clearer to me why he was getting the stick he was. He looked nervous and unassured in the role that requires arguably the most confidence on the pitch. Rob Elliot hasn't been that bad, yes he's slow in getting down to shots sometimes, but that's a different conversation to Sels' performances. You may disagree like, and I'm more than happy to hear why as I do actually agree with a lot of what you're saying. :thup:

You are correct - Sels was different in that he was making howlers on a regular basis - but Elliot isn't far off, it's just that his lack of ability doesn't get as much attention because his failings are down to him being poor in many areas rather then having more ability but not the mentality to handle the pressure  - e.g. Darlow. Elliot himself would tell you Darlow is a better 'keeper than him.

I've got nothing against Elliot, he's just not good enough for a club at this level unless that is as a second or third choice back up 'keeper, which is what he was signed to be.

Not strictly true about not having been given funds to invest in a keeper... 6•5 million for Sels wasn't it?

Talking about the transfer window just gone.

Sels was a shocking signing, no doubt about it.

It's a pretty well balanced argument between Darlow/Elliot. I'd say some of Darlow's strength are Elliot's weaknesses and vice versa, so at this time and in context to performances/goals conceded it's easy to want Darlow in over Elliot. I'd speculate however, that if this were the case Darlow's weaknesses would soon become exposed, the pendulum would swing back and people would call for the more assured and confident Elliot. Ultimately it points to the reality that we need a better goalkeeper going forward, as Rafa knows based on reports in the summer, but I can understand why at present he is opting for Elliot despite his shortcomings.

It's a pretty well balanced argument between Darlow/Elliot. I'd say some of Darlow's strength are Elliot's weaknesses and vice versa, so at this time and in context to performances/goals conceded it's easy to want Darlow in over Elliot. I'd speculate however, that if this were the case Darlow's weaknesses would soon become exposed, the pendulum would swing back and people would call for the more assured and confident Elliot. Ultimately it points to the reality that we need a better goalkeeper going forward, as Rafa knows based on reports in the summer, but I can understand why at present he is opting for Elliot despite his shortcomings.

Of what we've got, I think we have to go with Elliot unfortunately. Darlow's head went towards the end of last season and there were a few howlers, he really had to be dropped after the Ipswich game. The pressure and intensity in the Premier League is a step up.

A few people call for Woodman but he's too big a risk, not only for the team but for his development. Hope he goes out on loan for the second half of the season to a Championship club but to do that we'd need to bring another 'keeper in first.

Thing for me is - yesterday wasn't a straight fight about their merits - Elliot wasn't moving right after the knock, you don't leave a potentially injured keeper on in a game where you're under pressure. He should have been subbed.