NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Guest bmoregeordie

Newcastle are in a much stronger position than they've been in years to lure in transfers, especially those from outside England. Their place in the table and European football helps. But I think that, more importantly, this is no longer a squad defined by and dominated by Joey Barton, Kevin Nolan, and Alan Smith. This is an international side, led primarily by non-English players. Pardew - and the Toon Army - have created an environment where foreign players are not only accepted, but embraced. That is very different than the old stereotype of Northerners. I can only imagine that if I were from a different country, especially if I spoke French, I'd much rather come to Newcastle than most other EPL sides.

Furthermore, Pardew just made stars out of Ba, Cisse and Cabaye in one season, and greatly increased their profile. Hell, even Santon has seen his value increase. And Tiote and Krul just continue to bolster their stock. Players looking to move will take notice of this.

This doesn't impact the mega-million transfers, where we are not remotely involved. But it does impact most players. If you are a quality player expected to move, and your transfer fee is in the 5-10 million range, you might actually consider moving to Newcastle over a richer club. Because if you're truly a quality player, you'll play. We had a great run last season, but make no mistake that this is a thin squad. Made thinner by the increase in competitions next season. Any player, or agent, looking at improving his value has to take this into account. Whereas moving to Liverpool or Chelsea might result in an Aquilani-type situation, if you perform, there will be games for you in Newcastle.

Guest Craig-NUFC

Newcastle are in a much stronger position than they've been in years to lure in transfers, especially those from outside England. Their place in the table and European football helps. But I think that, more importantly, this is no longer a squad defined by and dominated by Joey Barton, Kevin Nolan, and Alan Smith. This is an international side, led primarily by non-English players. Pardew - and the Toon Army - have created an environment where foreign players are not only accepted, but embraced. That is very different than the old stereotype of Northerners. I can only imagine that if I were from a different country, especially if I spoke French, I'd much rather come to Newcastle than most other EPL sides.

Furthermore, Pardew just made stars out of Ba, Cisse and Cabaye in one season, and greatly increased their profile. Hell, even Santon has seen his value increase. And Tiote and Krul just continue to bolster their stock. Players looking to move will take notice of this.

This doesn't impact the mega-million transfers, where we are not remotely involved. But it does impact most players. If you are a quality player expected to move, and your transfer fee is in the 5-10 million range, you might actually consider moving to Newcastle over a richer club. Because if you're truly a quality player, you'll play. We had a great run last season, but make no mistake that this is a thin squad. Made thinner by the increase in competitions next season. Any player, or agent, looking at improving his value has to take this into account. Whereas moving to Liverpool or Chelsea might result in an Aquilani-type situation, if you perform, there will be games for you in Newcastle.

These players were already 'stars' who played internationally. Only difference is the British audience now know who they are, though those who take an interest in European football must have already known who these players were. Ba was highly rated at Hoffenheim, Cisse was consistently banging the goals in for an awful Freiburg side and Cabaye was pulling the strings for and captaining the team who won Ligue 1.

Guest VaVaVoom

Is there a list somewhere of Pardews signings? I'd imagine he's got a pretty good record. Aided by Graham Carr of course.

These players were already 'stars' who played internationally. Only difference is the British audience now know who they are, though those who take an interest in European football must have already known who these players were. Ba was highly rated at Hoffenheim, Cisse was consistently banging the goals in for an awful Freiburg side and Cabaye was pulling the strings for and captaining the team who won Ligue 1.

Being a household name in Europe does not automatically make you a success in the Premiership. He might not have made stars out of them, but it is remarkable how fast they all have acclimatised to the English style.

Bolton midfielder Lee Chung-Yong says relegation from the Premier League was not something he ever contemplated at the start of the season and admitted that he is undecided about his future at the club.

Lee, 24, watched from the sidelines for almost the entire 2011-12 campaign after suffering a horrific leg break last August and was powerless to help as the Trotters' 12-year stay in the English top-flight came to an end.

His absence, along with that of USA star Stuart Holden, was seen as a major contributing factor to the club's demotion to the Championship and the pair's futures have immediately become the focus of conjecture.

Lee has been linked with Newcastle and Turkish side Trabzonspor, among others, but insists he has yet to make a decision about whether he will stay at the Reebok Stadium or move on.

"I haven't thought about my future yet," Lee told the Bolton News. "The season has just finished and I just want to take some holiday now.

"I'm not going to hurry to think about my future because we have a few months before next season, but I can say now that I am a Bolton Wanderers player."

The South Korea international, who joined the club from FC Seoul in 2009, says he had not even entertained the idea of relegation last summer, but backed Owen Coyle's side to bounce straight back up.

"I couldn't imagine that we are going down to the Championship," Lee said. "And I didn't expect that when we started the season.

"But it has happened. It could be much better if we stayed in the Premier League, but I couldn't do anything because I was injured. I'm fully fit now, but I will keep training for next season.

"On our last day of the season the manager said we have many young, talented players and we can give a good performance in the Championship, so we can come back into the Premier League next season."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1079815/bolton-midfielder-lee-chung-yong-coy-on-future?cc=4716

Lee would be a great addition. Wicked foot.

Pards signings off the top of my head:

Hatem Ben Arfa (~£5m)

Stephen Ireland (loan)

Shefki Kuqi (free)

Yohan Cabaye (~£4m)

Demba Ba (free/~£2m agent fee)

Medhi Abeid (free)

Gabriel Obertan (£2m)

Sylvain Marveaux (free)

Rob Elliot (£500,000)

Davide Santon (£5m)

Papiss Cisse (£~9m)

Guest Craig-NUFC

Being a household name in Europe does not automatically make you a success in the Premiership. He might not have made stars out of them, but it is remarkable how fast they all have acclimatised to the English style.

We have differing interpretations of the term 'star' then. To me a star is someone with a reputation, which all 3 players had prior to joining. I agree with your point though.

Guest VaVaVoom

Is there a list somewhere of Pardews signings? I'd imagine he's got a pretty good record. Aided by Graham Carr of course.

http://nufc.com/2011-12html/transfers-pardew.html

Major signings...Ben Arfa 5.75mil, Ireland LOAN, Kuqi FREE, Cabaye 4.5mil, Marveaux FREE, Ba FREE, Abeid FREE, Obertan 2.5mil, Santon 5mil, Elliott 500k, Cisse 9mil, Amalfitano FREE.

Total spent...27mil'ish.

All but a few have been great signings. Of the few poor ones, Kuqi still done a job. Elliott has yet to be really used but still underwhelming. Ireland was a poor decision. Only Obertan really stands out as a really poor signing.

Very very good record and long may it continue.

I genuinely expect Obetan to do a Perch, think the hatred still needs to go down a bit but when he gets to the level where people think he is comically shit he will put in some surprising performances and be considered a decent back up players in a few options.

Similar to Raylor and Best also.

I think Obertan isnt that a flop considering he just cost 2.5m.  I have seen a lot of rubbish wingers cost more than that.

I am very disappointed that we haven't been linked with Davide Astori. Available on a free, Italian international, what else could we ask for? Sign him up FFS.

Guest Realist

I think Obertan isnt that a flop considering he just cost 2.5m.  I have seen a lot of rubbish wingers cost more than that.

Player CostStarts(subs)GoalsAssists
Gabriel Obertan£2.5m

18(5)

Stewart Downing£20m

28(8)

:iamatwat::iamatwat::iamatwat:

Guest VaVaVoom

If we could sign Barnetta, Debuchy, Mbiwa/Douglas and a young striker .. this tranfer window would be one of the best in history of the world

FYP  O0

Agreed.

Debuchy or Pieters would by my main targets after a CB. Vertonghen would be number one but unlikely, Douglas would a good signing on a free but M'Biwa offers cover for the whole back four and for that reason would be more valuable to us.

A new young striker would be a massive bonus but i dont see it happening unless Ba leaves, should Demba go then i really hope we pull out all the stops for Luuk De Jong.

Debuchy 6mil, M'Biwa 6mil, De Jong 12mil. 24mil is still a modest outlay. Especially when i expect us to bring in about 4mil from Simpson and Forster.

Guest VaVaVoom

Player CostStarts(subs)GoalsAssists
Gabriel Obertan£2.5m

18(5)

Stewart Downing£20m

28(8)

:iamatwat::iamatwat::iamatwat:

Unreal considering!

I do hope he can turn it round and like its been said, Perch has shown it is possible.

The thing with Obertan is he is just so fuckin infurtiating! He has bags of pace and has shown he has a nice touch at times he just wastes possession time and time again as he doesnt have a brain. You cant teach that. I think he will always be an average player at best capable or one or two decent performances. His pace however is an option off the bench late in games.

If we could sign Barnetta, Debuchy, Mbiwa/Douglas and a young striker .. this tranfer window would be one of the best in history of the world

FYP  O0

Agreed.

Debuchy or Pieters would by my main targets after a CB. Vertonghen would be number one but unlikely, Douglas would a good signing on a free but M'Biwa offers cover for the whole back four and for that reason would be more valuable to us.

A new young striker would be a massive bonus but i dont see it happening unless Ba leaves, should Demba go then i really hope we pull out all the stops for Luuk De Jong.

Debuchy 6mil, M'Biwa 6mil, De Jong 12mil. 24mil is still a modest outlay. Especially when i expect us to bring in about 4mil from Simpson and Forster.

Cant see a net spend of 20mil happening. Its not financially viable for the club. Maximum 10 to 12 mill in expenditure .. including the likely sale of simpson.

Guest VaVaVoom

FYP  O0

Agreed.

Cant see a net spend of 20mil happening. Its not financially viable for the club. Maximum 10 to 12 mill in expenditure .. including the likely sale of simpson.

I wont bet on it :lol: But i dont see it as unlikely what with the increased revenue next season.