NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

We cannot and will not compare with Chelsea. The reason we finished 5th last year ahead of them, is because they were shit.

If you think otherwise, just look at the £100m they've spent in the summer.

We can only hope to consolidate at the top and slowly improve to keep ourselves there.

That's the Premier League now, unfortunately, and if you believe otherwise then you're either extremely optimistic, or deluded. One or the other.

Guest icemanblue

I don't think the squad is significantly weaker, in terms of quality. However, people seem to be forgetting the games in which Best played, and directly contributed to us getting points. I definitely think we're a striker light, and short of quality in defence. This summer was an ideal opportunity to strengthen these areas, and we haven't done that. That's what is annoying me at this point.

The only position we need to really strengthen is right back (or left back and move Santon). We are covered everywhere else even in a crisis. This isn't Football Manager, it's real life. You don't sign players just for the hell of it.

So what happens if Senegal qualify for the ACON?

Shola will be our only striker and like last season proved during that period he can't play week in?

What next?

The ACON in 2013 starts in mid-late January. We have another transfer window yet. Last year we bought Cisse...

We cannot and will not compare with Chelsea. The reason we finished 5th last year ahead of them, is because they were s***.

They won the Champions League and the FA Cup last year.

I don't think the squad is significantly weaker, in terms of quality. However, people seem to be forgetting the games in which Best played, and directly contributed to us getting points. I definitely think we're a striker light, and short of quality in defence. This summer was an ideal opportunity to strengthen these areas, and we haven't done that. That's what is annoying me at this point.

Fuck off back to computer games.

Guest neesy111

We need a squad striker, something that would cost 2-3M basically what we sold Best for.

Trusting Ba and Cisse to be fit for 40-45 games a season is madness.

Guest icemanblue

Fuck off back to computer games.

Suck my d'ick your alright tonight brigadier!

/yaoface

Best gave me a sense of security last season that we could rely on someone who is hardworking and professional enough other than Shola if we lose our best forwards. Putting all the weight on Shola just does not inspire confidence, while Campbell is too young imo to be put weight on.

We cannot and will not compare with Chelsea. The reason we finished 5th last year ahead of them, is because they were s***.

They won the Champions League and the FA Cup last year.

OK, let me rephrase :lol:

They were shit in the league. Certainly not as good as previous years and you would expect them to return to their usual 'standard' this year.

We need a squad striker, something that would cost 2-3M basically what we sold Best for.

It's not 40-45 games though. You get another chance to sign players in January. We may or may not sign anyone then, but we did last year because the opportunity arose. It's not as if this is it for the rest of the season now.

Don't forget that others have strengthened, significantly in 6th place Chelsea's case.

A 5th place squad last season isn't necessarily a 5th place squad this season.

We don't even have the same squad. We're two forwards short for a start (albeit Lovenkrands didn't really feature)

But has our squad from last season grown more as players than last year. Depends on Cabaye/Cisse/Ba in second season here. Marveux stepping up, Ben Arfa blitzing the fuck out of the league and Anita adapting.  Still have a pretty good first 11, and you would hope a few of our players will kick on from last year and once Cisse/ Ba gets going should be ok. Looking below top 6/7 still don't think any team is as good as what we have in first choice 11.

Tbh, wouldn't have sold best necessarily if they were not 100% that a striker was coming in. Would not have kept Lovenkrands though, we have replaced Guthrie with Anita/Bigi. Signed Amalfatino who offers another option (Could argue replaces Lovenkrands as he played left wing alot).

It would be nice to go out a sign first choice RB/CB and striker but also as important that we have the same players for next year. I would normally be on this bandwagon of calling names and being furious about lack of activity, but so used to it now I try to look for positives in the team.

What's annoying is the fact we've essentially lost 3 first team players and signed 1, and I wouldn't say our squad was big in the first place. Considering we're going to be challenging in 4 competetions, it doesn't look good I'm afraid.

Which 3 first-teamers have we lost? Best, Guthrie and Lovenkrands? And we've signed Anita. Plus Amalfitano and Bigi, who will play roles in the EL and League Cup. We haven't regressed, we just haven't really progressed, but progression was always going to be difficult this season when we overperformed so much last year.

:thup:

Very frustrating if nobody else comes in but there is part of me that's happy that we clearly know who we want and aren't going to panic buy people who we haven't scouted.

That said I'd kill for us to sign Debuchy.

Surely not?

I agree that Debuchy would be one hell of an upgrade on Simpson but to suggest that you'd be willing to murder somebody to secure his signature is surely a step too far.

Simpson has a habit of being exposed every now and then but surely he's not bad enough to persuade you to take another persons life? That's unstable.

Very frustrating if nobody else comes in but there is part of me that's happy that we clearly know who we want and aren't going to panic buy people who we haven't scouted.

That said I'd kill for us to sign Debuchy.

Surely not?

I agree that Debuchy would be one hell of an upgrade on Simpson but to suggest that you'd be willing to murder somebody to secure his signature is surely a step too far.

Simpson has a habit of being exposed every now and then but to suggest he's bad enough to persuade you to take another persons life? That's unstable.

He was talking about killing an ant.

Best gave me a sense of security last season that we could rely on someone who is hardworking and professional enough other than Shola if we lose our best forwards. Putting all the weight on Shola just does not inspire confidence, while Campbell is too young imo to be put weight on.

Best didnt play last season after we got Cisse. He played because we only had Ba.

People keep comparing the side that started the season as if Cisse was a part of it. He wasnt, he has more or less replaced Best. The extra striker we have lost is Lovenkrands.

Guest neesy111

It's not 40-45 games though. You get another chance to sign players in January. We may or may not sign anyone then, but we did last year because the opportunity arose. It's not as if this is it for the rest of the season now.

There's a big if though.  Last season we got fortunate that Cisse became available at the right price, the same might not happen this season.  We are not even talking of a 1st team striker as well, we just need a replacement for best, average striker who can do a job when called upon.

Guest neesy111

Best didnt play last season after we got Cisse. He played because we only had Ba.

People keep comparing the side that started the season as if Cisse was a part of it. He wasnt, he has more or less replaced Best. The extra striker we have lost is Lovenkrands.

Best was injured for most of the 2nd half of the season.

Guest BooBoo

Love how folk pitifully grasp at "there's always January!" Cisse was a great buy, but who else of quality have we ever bought in January. One good signing in six years. :lol: