Should We Have A Whipround?

Crumpy Gunt

Most Ashley stuff generates differing viewpoints but on the SJP renaming issue I think it must be almost 100% unanimous that no one agrees with it.

Let him call it what he wants and if someone is daft enough to pay £10M or whatever for the naming rights then good luck to them, but as long as there's a football stadium in Newcastle it will only ever be called one thing by Geordies and Newcastle fans.

I can't help feeling that continuing to debate it just plays straight into the hands of those who want to sell the naming rights and the best policy would be to just ignore them and carry on referring to SJP by it's correct name.

Anyway we still play in NE1 at St.James'Park,as we always have done, despite the proposals of previous regimes to relocate us a few years ago.

Sunderland fans found great amusement in posting pictures of the SJP letters being removed, but there's a picture somewhere of a massive crane with "O'Brien's" emblazoned across it demolishing Roker Park. That's how to really piss all over 100 years of history.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Saw on twitter about the possibility of fans renting the advertising space opposite shearer's to put up massive st james' park signs. That's far more deserving of a whip round for me

I looked into this when the renaming was announced. Costs aren't too bad when split over a number of people, the problem is they're taken for about the next 18 months due to the exposure they get.

Shitballs, I would've chipped in for defo too

The only way it would play into their hands is if it has been done deliberately to piss fans off. Whatever the sentiment about it being st james to thefans is moot. Its not  that hat ananymore. Generations will grow up with it being called crap like this and just like any zeitgeist is liable to dieout. People should kick up a stink.

Guest Brazilianbob

Its about time people got a life.  It was a stupid stupid thing to do especially when every fan worthy of the  term will continue to call the ground SJP no matter what the owner/sponsor chooses to call the ground!  As for this so called academic at Newcastle university telling Ashley he is wrong to rebrand the ground (I have not actually read what he said only seen the headlines)... let me think about this..... Ashley has created billions for himself with his business acumen and this academic earns what £80k a year? 

Whats the old saying?...  people who can ... do .....those who cant teach! (something along those lines anyway!

The hard facts are Ashley's business acumen has taken this club from the brink of administration to having a bright future...maybe not as quickly as some would want but we are facing the right direction thats for sure ....the alternative without Ashley is unthinkeable and I am no Ashley apologist but there is no escaping the hard facts of his ownership and our current status!

An Ashley apologist is exactly what you are, just because the fat cockney b****** has made himself rich by exploiting people and selling tat to charvas doesn't give him the right to p*ss all over the history of the club.   

But, but, we're in the top 6 man. All is forgiven.

Well I can easily forgive him when I see how healthy my club is in terms of finance and football.  Whats your beef with that?