Should We Have A Whipround?

Crumpy Gunt

Guest thenorthumbrian

Facepalm all over this thread. Get a grip.

Quite.

Football, and it's popularity, is built on passion. Deal with it.

Excactly right, generations of people have grown up and supported Newcastle United at St James'Park and one tw@t comes along and consigns an important part of this club's history to the bin.

If that isn't a cause for a reaction , I don't know what is. 

What really pisses me off about this is that the lad has done some damage that probably cost an hour’s wages to put right.  We're in a recession where people are losing jobs and income because of government cuts and this lad will go to court and it will cost 100’sx the cost of the damage to probably fine him a few quid, it's pathetic.

Its about time people got a life.  It was a stupid stupid thing to do especially when every fan worthy of the  term will continue to call the ground SJP no matter what the owner/sponsor chooses to call the ground!  As for this so called academic at Newcastle university telling Ashley he is wrong to rebrand the ground (I have not actually read what he said only seen the headlines)... let me think about this..... Ashley has created billions for himself with his business acumen and this academic earns what £80k a year? 

Whats the old saying?...  people who can ... do .....those who cant teach! (something along those lines anyway!

The hard facts are Ashley's business acumen has taken this club from the brink of administration to having a bright future...maybe not as quickly as some would want but we are facing the right direction thats for sure ....the alternative without Ashley is unthinkeable and I am no Ashley apologist but there is no escaping the hard facts of his ownership and our current status!

An Ashley apologist is exactly what you are, just because the fat cockney b****** has made himself rich by exploiting people and selling tat to charvas doesn't give him the right to p*ss all over the history of the club.   

yet many say it wouldn't be so bad if it was the nike arena and we had a big tick on the roof.

What really pisses me off about this is that the lad has done some damage that probably cost an hour’s wages to put right.  We're in a recession where people are losing jobs and income because of government cuts and this lad will go to court and it will cost 100’sx the cost of the damage to probably fine him a few quid, it's pathetic.

Do you think the police would bother themselves to come out and arrest someone if they painted on your garden fence? Waste of time.

Aye, it's miserable that they've charged him.

Could the club not have stepped in? Create some sort of positive image for a change, just make it clear that the next person wouldn't be let off so easily.

See what you're saying but where do you draw the line? Lots of crimes actually cause little damage or cost but it doesn't mean offenders shouldn't have to face the consequences of the courts. This plank will get fine and costs. He should be in and out of the court room in ten minutes.

Do you think the police would bother themselves to come out and arrest someone if they painted on your garden fence? Waste of time.

If my fence was vandalised I would probably be given a crime number over the phone.

If my fence was vandalised I would probably be given a crime number over the phone.

it's bleeding obvious that they will make an example of a minor crime if it's attracted attention. ie it made the press.

Wasn't the muppet caught red (or more to the point, white) handed? Difficult really not to take action when someone is caught in the process of committing a crime. :lol:

See what you're saying but where do you draw the line? Lots of crimes actually cause little damage or cost but it doesn't mean offenders shouldn't have to face the consequences of the courts. This plank will get fine and costs. He should be in and out of the court room in ten minutes.

Any punishment should fit the crime, in this case I don't think it should even go to court.  Even without going to court it will have cost police time and office time processing the case, possibly solicitors will have been involved.

I’m not taking the piss here, my youngest brother was taken to court in the 80’s for riding a bike on a pavement and he was fined, it’s pathetic.  The police officer who charged him should have been laughed out of the police force.

Any punishment should fit the crime, in this case I don't think it should even go to court.  Even without going to court it will have cost police time and office time processing the case, possibly solicitors will have been involved.

I’m not taking the p*ss here, my youngest brother was taken to court in the 80’s for riding a bike on a pavement and he was fined, it’s pathetic.  The police officer who charged him should have been laughed out of the police force.

what's the deterrent then ?

Guest neesy111

Criminal Damage is Criminal Damage.  So he should get the same punishment as if someone who graffiti's in the street.

No exceptions should be made.

Taking off the black and white glasses, it's clearly in the public interest to prosecute this lad. You can't be seen to be damaging property in such a relatively high profile and sensitive matter and not have to face the consequences, regardless of the cost of correcting the damage itself.

Guest neesy111

Taking off the black and white glasses, it's clearly in the public interest to prosecute this lad. You can't be seen to be damaging property in such a relatively high profile and sensitive matter and not have to face the consequences, regardless of the cost of correcting the damage itself.

100% agree.

Criminal Damage is Criminal Damage.  So he should get the same punishment as if someone who graffiti's in the street.

And that punishment is basically anything they like

Someone who is caught causing graffiti can be prosecuted under the Criminal Damage Act 1971. Those found guilty can be fined up to £5000. Young offenders may be given a community service order.

Fixed Penalty Notices make greater use of fixed penalty fines as an alternative to prosecution, in most cases giving Councils the flexibility to set their own rates.

Persistent offenders can be the subject of an Anti Social Behaviour Order.

So he could be given 240 hours community service and a £5000 fine at the top end (which you would assume would be for a hardcore bomber who's caused thousands of pounds of damage).  At the bottom end he could have been given a £80 fixed penalty notice on the spot and not prosecuted.  I can't think of many instances of graffiti more minor than putting two words on a wall in emulsion in one instance.