Should We Have A Whipround?

Crumpy Gunt

Taking off the black and white glasses, it's clearly in the public interest to prosecute this lad. You can't be seen to be damaging property in such a relatively high profile and sensitive matter and not have to face the consequences, regardless of the cost of correcting the damage itself.

As a member of the public I don't see any point in the possible prosecution when the cost of the prosecution will outstrip the cost of the crime.  All he's done is painted something on a wall which was basically on the wall the day before.

It'll be something in the realm of £100 fine, £85 costs, £15 surcharge and whatever it cost the club to scrub the graffiti off the wall, probably another £20.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Taking off the black and white glasses, it's clearly in the public interest to prosecute this lad. You can't be seen to be damaging property in such a relatively high profile and sensitive matter and not have to face the consequences, regardless of the cost of correcting the damage itself.

The defacing of this stadium has been going on for a couple of years now, it's a shame the coppers can't prosecute the bastard who vandalised the Gallowgate roof.

Whatever the hell an Ashley fanboy is, I'm not one. There's many things he's done which I despair of. I'm just not getting all agitated about this now as I've expected it for a while since the announcement of renaming the stadium. To me, they're one and the same poor decision.

Guest michaelfoster

Graffiti is criminal damage under the Criminal Damage Act 1971. There are no legal sites for graffiti within the Royal Borough. Those caught in the act of graffiti or with intent to undertake graffiti within the borough will be prosecuted.

If the value of criminal damage exceeds £5,000 the maximum penalty for those aged 18 or over is ten years imprisonment and for those aged 12-17 years the maximum custodial penalty is a detention and training order of up to 24 months.

Where the damage is less than £5,000 the maximum sentence is three months imprisonment or a fine of £2,500 for adult offenders.

An alternative sanction for minor graffiti offences is the issue of a penalty notice. Under the Anti-social Behavior Act 2003 Police Community Support Officers and those persons accredited under the community safety scheme are allowed to issue penalty notices of £50.

Schemes like the recent Home Office 'Name That Tag' offer a reward for information on prolific graffiti writers.

Visit the Home Office website for more information.

The British Transport Police also run an information sharing database of tags which can be accessed by Local Authorities. This database enables the full extent of the damage caused by graffiti to be collated and taken into account by the court in sentencing.

Section 48 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 gives local authorities the power to serve graffiti removal notices on certain bodies responsible for the surface where graffiti has appeared. These bodies include the owners of street furniture (bus shelters, street signs, phone boxes etc). The notice gives a minimum of 28 days for the removal of the graffiti, if after that time it has not been removed the local authority can remove it and can recover its costs.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Saw on twitter about the possibility of fans renting the advertising space opposite shearer's to put up massive st james' park signs. That's far more deserving of a whip round for me

Saw on twitter about the possibility of fans renting the advertising space opposite shearer's to put up massive st james' park signs. That's far more deserving of a whip round for me

Sounds good actually.

Something negative about SD would be much better and would get to Ashley and his poodle.

Guest neesy111

Something negative about SD would be much better and would get to Ashley and his poodle.

Like the fuck he would be bothered.

I'm at the stage where I'm not sure whether it's worth antagonising him since he holds all the power tbh. :okay:

I looked into this when the renaming was announced. Costs aren't too bad when split over a number of people, the problem is they're taken for about the next 18 months due to the exposure they get.