Luuk de Jong signs for PSV

BeloEmre

Guest WashyGeordie

It's a smokescreen just like Bryan Ruiz... and we all know who we got instead.  :snod:

De Jong deal in doubt despite Best sale

8:00am Tuesday 3rd July 2012 in Sport By Paul Fraser, Chief Football Writer

NEWCASTLE UNITED have told FC Twente they are not prepared to pay the 15m asking price for Dutch striker Luuk de Jong - despite edging closer to bringing in a further £5m.

The Magpies last night confirmed the departure of Leon Best to Blackburn Rovers for an initial fee of £3m, which could rise if he leads them to promotion, and goalkeeper Fraser Forster is close to sealing a £2m switch to Celtic.

It means Newcastles arm in the transfer market is to be strengthened at just the right time, with manager Alan Pardew desperate to make progress.

But Pardew is already considering his alternatives on the attacking front after realising Newcastle are unlikely to increase their latest offer, believed to be around 10m, to the figure Twente are demanding.

Despite further talks between Twente and Newcastle in Holland yesterday, managing director Derek Llambias returned to the North-East waiting to hear whether a proposal to pay all the money up front has been accepted.

The stand-off means the door remains open for other interested clubs from around Europe to make their official move.

Sources close to de Jong suggest he is interested in staying in mainland Europe, with Borussia Monchendgladbachs ability to offer Champions League football proving attractive.

But there is also expected to be renewed interest from Tottenham in the coming days, with Andre Villas-Boas imminent appointment expected to spark an offer.

Newcastle will be unlikely to persuade Twente to part with the 21-year-old for much lower than their initial valuation - before they can even think about convincing him to move to Tyneside.

De Jongs agent, Louis Laros, said: "The decision is taken (to move). He wants to further develop in to a bigger league. The important thing for us is the sporting perspective of Luuk. Not the money, but the way of playing and the amount of playing time he will get will be decisive."

Pardew is still hopeful of striking a deal for de Jongs team-mate Douglas. But the Brazilian centre-backs situation is complicated by the fact he must wait until late August before he is eligible to play for Holland after being granted Dutch citizenship.

At this stage that deal looks more likely, while Pardew is still intent on pushing through a deal for Lilles Mathieu Debuchy.

The departures of Best and Forster will help. After confirmation over the weekend that the latter is to complete a permanent move to Celtic, Blackburns attempts to land Best had a successful end last night.

Best was at Ewood Park yesterday for a medical and he has signed a four-year contract following ten goals in 42 appearances for Newcastle.

Pardew said: "Its a great move for Leon because he wants first team football. Hes a great guy but he wants to play.

"Last season he was in and out, had injuries and was off form. He needs to play and so, for Blackburn, its a good signing and for us the money was OK too."

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/9793769.De_Jong_deal_in_doubt_despite_Best_sale/

Guest Tyson

My gut feeling is that this deal isn't dead yet.

Though if I'm being honest, I would rather we concentrate more on getting a potential deal for Douglas over the line...

Crazy thought we are perfectly fine in that postion with S taylor coming now we sold Best and Loven is not with us it is important we sign two strikers one like De Jong one a junior one. Other wise we best hope for mid table finish.

Agree with the first quoted post. Douglas strikes me as being the ideal foil for Collo - very athletic, strong, good in the air, & solid with the ball at his feet. Add Douglas into the mix, while upgrading Simpson's spot with either Debuchy or Clyne, we should have a ball-playing capable defensive unit. No excuses for extended periods of long-ball football.

As it stands, taking Taylor's durability into account (previous shoulder issues, and now the Achilles), Williamson remains dangerously close to retaining his place as a fixture in the first team.

My gut feeling is that this deal isn't dead yet.

Though if I'm being honest, I would rather we concentrate more on getting a potential deal for Douglas over the line...

Crazy thought we are perfectly fine in that postion with S taylor coming now we sold Best and Loven is not with us it is important we sign two strikers one like De Jong one a junior one. Other wise we best hope for mid table finish.

for me a top centre back is a must. we are far  from being fine in that position ..

Guest BooBoo

I'd be happy with a pairing of Taylor & Colo but we do need cover. I'd rather bring in a younger CB and spend more funds on securing Debuchy and a forward.

Guest SweMatt

The show must go on. Time to focus on other targets

I would very much rather see Debuchy in a starting eleven than de Jong. If I had to choose.

Might be worth aiming to get the Right Back and Centre Back through the door and look for another young player to come in for up front - we will need at least one  more player up front as we only have ameobi behind Cisse and Ba. I can't think of any young strikers in reserve except Sammy and he is likely to play from the wing for the foreseeable

New quotes from Steve McLaren and Louis Laros, his agent, in Voetbal International:

After the season just ended I was told that we needed to sell one player to balance the books. Twente had already invested in the purchases of Andreas Bjelland and Dusan Tadic. Because of the sale of Ola John there is now no pressure on us to sell. Players can want what they want, but we are now in charge of what happens. I'm happy with that, because we don't want to lose anybody else.

and

Luuk is ready for the next step, and we have indicated this internally within FC Twente. We don't look at the money primarily, but at the sportive perspective and the amount of playing time Luuk will get. I hope FC Twente do not lose reality out of sight and asks a market conformistic price for him.

He should slap in a transfer request.

I don't think it's like we're trying to rob them, if we've offered £11m all paid at oncee that is a VERY fair deal.  Hardly anyone offers cash up front these days, or so I am told.

Twente just clearly don't want to sell.

I don't think it's like we're trying to rob them, if we've offered £11m all paid at oncee that is a VERY fair deal.  Hardly anyone offers cash up front these days, or so I am told.

its hard to be angry at them for wanting to keep one of their best players. What if it were the other way round and it was twente offering us £11m for Ben arfa or cisse?

its hard to be angry at them for wanting to keep one of their best players. What if it were the other way round and it was twente offering us £11m for Ben arfa or cisse?

I wouldn't stand in their way. It'd be an honour to see Ben Arfa or Cisse make such a prestigious move.

Guest bimpy474

I wouldn't stand in their way. It'd be an honour to see Ben Arfa or Cisse make such a prestigious move.

:lol:

Guest frazernufc

Dont know if this is old news or not but its also been said on sky:

German side Borussia Monchengladbach also remain keen, but they too are baulking at Twente's demands

Yeah I agree we would, just we won't pay over the odds.

Agreed. I thought you were implying they should let him leave for less than they're asking because he wants away. It appears FC Twente really don't want to and need to sell unless they get an offer they can't refuse, which is pretty much how we operate as well. Seeing as we've proven in the past we'd rather get nobody in than pay more than we believe a player is worth for it to be an excellent deal it now definitely looks like this will not happen. I sincerely hope and actually trust the club now that we've got some more strings to ouw bow and we won't gamble like we've done in the past season (succesfully it has to be said) with the striker, full back and centre back positions.

Guest nufc_89

Lets be honest, we've all said it before, if a player no longer wanted to wear the black & white shirt anymore then they could go.

We'd still want to maximize the transfer fee wouldn't we?

It has to be a reasonable price though