Alan Pardew

Dave

Guest Spark

I've supported Pardew a lot but I have to say the first half tonight was embarrassing. I think we had 0 attempts after 40 minutes or so. Even worse is the fact that this seems to have been the intentional approach to the match. I'm sorry but if you're playing at home and need two goals in 90 minutes you really need to show more than that going forward. Very disappointed.

Disappointed he didn't gamble from the start but I see why. Really needed a creative spark as a result but defended the clean sheet. Pardew still thinks we can play defensively and grind out a result, we can't. This tactic is ironically more of a gamble than attacking one.

Surely this negative tactic only drags down the confidence in our defence. Makes it look like he has no confidence in our defenders to get the job done if we play attractive competitive football.

I'm not really ranting about pardew today I understand his reasoning for starting a more defensive line up. With fitness levels of marv and benarfa not likely to last the full game we would have been in the s*** had we conceded being hit on the break, but who knows if we had stuck early they might have folded.

Pardew has created a culture within the squad that genuinely plays for the shirt, fans and each other. I think the club is closer to the fans than it has been in a long time (definately safe house needed for that comment).A new manager is at risk of losing that..but pardew clearly has no tactical clue and I blame the coaching set up aswell as him.

I hope he gets replaced but I am scared at what would follow. At the bare minimum we need a tactical coach to work with pardew carver et al are obviously not up to it.

I don't think he'd have set up this way had we had Coloccini/Taylor and Santon fit. I think a lot of his thinking was not having a particularly strong back four, and not having his "door openers" available to play much more than half an hour each.

Haven't we set up the same way (defensive and hoping to grind out results) pretty much the whole season?

We see weaker squads play better football every week. It's all about psychology and inspiring players to push themselves to play better. Just because we have alot of international class professionals doesn't mean they don't need inspiration to push them from time to time or that arm around them to help.

That said the players are clearly united with pardew and have bought into what he feeds them. For me it just looks like it's easier for him to play defensive than try to inspire his players mentally to step up.

I've supported Pardew a lot but I have to say the first half tonight was embarrassing. I think we had 0 attempts after 40 minutes or so. Even worse is the fact that this seems to have been the intentional approach to the match. I'm sorry but if you're playing at home and need two goals in 90 minutes you really need to show more than that going forward. Very disappointed.

But we were playing the mighty Benfica, you know, the ones we had to hand 2 goals on a plate to a week ago.

Disappointed he didn't gamble from the start but I see why. Really needed a creative spark as a result but defended the clean sheet. Pardew still thinks we can play defensively and grind out a result, we can't. This tactic is ironically more of a gamble than attacking one.

Surely this negative tactic only drags down the confidence in our defence. Makes it look like he has no confidence in our defenders to get the job done if we play attractive competitive football.

I'm not really ranting about pardew today I understand his reasoning for starting a more defensive line up. With fitness levels of marv and benarfa not likely to last the full game we would have been in the s*** had we conceded being hit on the break, but who knows if we had stuck early they might have folded.

Pardew has created a culture within the squad that genuinely plays for the shirt, fans and each other. I think the club is closer to the fans than it has been in a long time (definately safe house needed for that comment).A new manager is at risk of losing that..but pardew clearly has no tactical clue and I blame the coaching set up aswell as him.

I hope he gets replaced but I am scared at what would follow. At the bare minimum we need a tactical coach to work with pardew carver et al are obviously not up to it.

I don't think he'd have set up this way had we had Coloccini/Taylor and Santon fit. I think a lot of his thinking was not having a particularly strong back four, and not having his "door openers" available to play much more than half an hour each.

Haven't we set up the same way (defensive and hoping to grind out results) pretty much the whole season?

We see weaker squads play better football every week. It's all about psychology and inspiring players to push themselves to play better. Just because we have alot of international class professionals doesn't mean they don't need inspiration to push them from time to time or that arm around them to help.

That said the players are clearly united with pardew and have bought into what he feeds them. For me it just looks like it's easier for him to play defensive than try to inspire his players mentally to step up.

If Swansea play the way they do against someone like Benfica next season, I think they'd get ripped apart tbh. I think our best chance of winning the tie tonight with the players available, was the way we set out.

CP40, without us mentioning the words "hate" or "hater" which is becoming incredibly tiresome when people are generally trying to be vaguely constructive...

What makes you so sure Pardew will get it right next year and what does him getting it right next year constitute for you?

:lol:  ok aye it is a bit of an overplayed card like. might use it less often.....

right, basically want to see what this team is capable of with a manager I think they believe in, and no european football. Top 8 and doing something in domestic cup is what I expect- by doing something I mean trying to get as far as possible- if we go out fair enough, but go down fighting.

OK then, so top 8 with a good cup run.  I could probably live with that too.  I think (especially with a few additions) we could aim higher though.

Now, style of football.  You reckon there are any aspirations to play better stuff than this?  I'm not sure how much longer I can watch it.  I hate watching us.  You reckon it'll get better next year and if so, why?

yes im hoping, pardew has said himself this season he has felt unable to let the team fully express itself due the the lack of numbers/ players available. Playing in one less competition should free this up- but yeah I do need to see this happen, i expect it,football not hoofball,or im crossing over to the hat........

It sort of sounds like you're buying the Europa League as the main excuse to me.  I've looked at so many of our teamsheets this season and not understood us playing such primitive football when the situation didn't really demand it and the results didn't warrant it.  I'm a bit fearful that Pardew's brought out every imaginable excuse this year and hope that good supporters haven't bought into it too much, only to see that he'll have new excuses next year and we'll always play like shit and underachieve.

If Swansea play the way they do against someone like Benfica next season, I think they'd get ripped apart tbh. I think our best chance of winning the tie tonight with the players available, was the way we set out.

That's a surprise.  :lol:

That, imho, is bollocks. Swansea may well get seen off for a variety of reasons but because they have the ball a lot more than the other team won't be one of them.

And if the only chance we had of winning the game tonight was the way it panned out, 10 mins of pressure out of 90, then we just had no chance, simple as.

He's not growing with the potential of the squad for me.

:thup:

I agree with this by the way. Tonight though I think it was very close to being the ideal way to knock these out with what we had.

That, imho, is bollocks. Swansea may well get seen off for a variety of reasons but because they have the ball a lot more than the other team won't be one of them.

And if the only chance we had of winning the game tonight was the way it panned out, 10 mins of pressure out of 90, then we just had no chance, simple as.

We had 20 minutes to score a goal to knock them out and we were close a few times to doing that. How is that, "no chance". :lol:

Guest Spark

But we were playing the mighty Benfica, you know, the ones we had to hand 2 goals on a plate to a week ago.

Quite. We paid them far too much respect. They seemed pretty dodgy at the back, but we barely even tested them apart from a 20 minute spell at the end of the match. Who knows when we'll get such a good chance to get to a European semi-final again.

We had 90 minutes to score 2 goals. We leant on them for 10 of that.

If today was the best way we could have approached the game and it resulted in a draw then, QED, we had no chance.

That's bollocks like. No chance? When Cisse scored there wasn't a person in the ground who wasn't fairly confident we would win it. We were incredibly close.

Just on the 'we couldn't do X/Y/Z because of the injuries' thing, whilst certainly a hindrance, what makes people believe it's going to be significantly different next season? Sure, we won't have the Europa but I think it's been forgotten that we were playing kids and reserves in that for quite some time anyway. Clubs and managers have to deal with injuries, poor form and suspensions all season, every season. NUFC and Pardew are no exception. Unless we are able to pinpoint things we've been doing wrong this season, I can't see why it's going to definitely be better next year.

Think i'll get annoyed reading this thread tonight. Not sure how anyone can argue that tactics, were within a whisker or working perfectly.

Keep it tight for the first half, get the flair players on a bit later and have a real go at Benfica, while ensuring those players remain fresh for the arguably more important game on Sunday.

Anyone who disagrees must simply have an anti Pardew agenda.

That's bollocks like. No chance? When Cisse scored there wasn't a person in the ground who wasn't fairly confident we would win it. We were incredibly close.

Not for me. ON is of the opinion that the way we approached the game was the best tactically that we could have done. Don't agree with that and my point was, if that was the best approach possible then we weren't ever really in it.

Not for me. ON is of the opinion that the way we approached the game was the best tactically that we could have done. Don't agree with that and my point was, if that was the best approach possible then we weren't ever really in it.

Tell me how we could have been better tactically?

What? :lol: We were a goal away from doing it and we were very close to getting that. :lol:

He's not growing with the potential of the squad for me.

I agree with this by the way. Tonight though I think it was very close to being the ideal way to knock these out with what we had.

Biggest problem is that we keep recruiting players that are suited for a more fluent, floor based game yet Pardew clearly has his own beliefs about how football should be played. There's a major mis-match. He has us trying to hit the strikers early with long balls and out wide to supply crosses. Problem is our strikers aren't physical bar Ameobi who isn't very good and we have wide players who either can't cross or who generally don't. Combined with a lack of runners into the box crossing the ball is a bit pointless any way. It would be fine to play this way if he had the right players (like he did when he took over) however now he has to show more tactical flexibility and adaptability (especially considering the transfer policy isn't going to change) which I'm just not seeing from him.

We had a game plan and so nearly pulled it off,  i thought the tactics of keeping it tight and trying to win it late was the correct way to go about it,  the lads i went with thought the same, bloke behind me the same,  bloke in the bogs at HT was saying the same that after keeping it tight we can win it 2nd half with our subs, coming out after the game speaking to others again no grumbling and were happy with the tactics, i log on facebook and someone posted a great write up on true faiths page agreeing with the tactics and then i come on the Pardew thread and its not a really a shock to see the anti Pardew brigade yet again out of touch with the majority of supporters of NUFC.

Guest bimpy474

None of his excuses, valid or not explain the hoofball earlier in the season. In fact nothing explains long ball and not using passing football instead.

Guest Spark

Think i'll get annoyed reading this thread tonight. Not sure how anyone can argue that tactics, were within a whisker or working perfectly.

Keep it tight for the first half, get the flair players on a bit later and have a real go at Benfica, while ensuring those players remain fresh for the arguably more important game on Sunday.

Bollocks man. There's a difference between "keeping it tight" and not managing a single attempt on goal in 40 minutes.

Christ on a bike!!!!! No going near their goal for 40 mins is not the way to win a game! I've got an agenda!!! Jesus! Yeah, my agenda is 'have a go'. What's yours?

Bollocks man. There's a difference between "keeping it tight" and not managing a single attempt on goal in 40 minutes.

This.