Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest BooBoo

I think if we are to get anyone in, then it'll have to be before the actual deadline day. We seem pretty loathe to be tying up deals at the last minute. If we've not got anyone in by Thursday, it'll be curtains IMO.

What do you mean by curtains exactly?

For signing players this window. Obviously.

I think if we are to get anyone in, then it'll have to be before the actual deadline day. We seem pretty loathe to be tying up deals at the last minute. If we've not got anyone in by Thursday, it'll be curtains IMO.

What do you mean by curtains exactly?

For signing players this window. Obviously.

You're so cool.

Guest BooBoo

the big question is who will our fake bid be for this transfer window deadline day? i'm going for dempsey.

Someone from Wigan.

I'm getting more annoyed the more days go by without even the slightest possibility of a player coming in. It's pathetic that we've only spent about £2million with 5 days left.

The only good transfer I remember us completing this late in recent years was Ben Arfa who signed (on loan) on the 27/28th. Our transfer policy (low price or move on) just isn't likely to get results in the last week of the window.

What about deadline day with Beye & Faye?

If we were to sign their equivalents this deadline day I think we'd be over the moon.

Faye was s*** and no one was happy to get him, Beye was unknown and a great player for us, he was a positive but at the time I doubt anyone was buzzing.

When the two of them were unveiled at the game (Wigan?) the day after they both signed I (and everyone around me) was buzzin).  You must have missed that one.  Faye wasn't s*** at all and Beye was well known.  This post is all kinds of wrong

I'm getting more annoyed the more days go by without even the slightest possibility of a player coming in. It's pathetic that we've only spent about £2million with 5 days left.

The only good transfer I remember us completing this late in recent years was Ben Arfa who signed (on loan) on the 27/28th. Our transfer policy (low price or move on) just isn't likely to get results in the last week of the window.

If we were to sign their equivalents this deadline day I think we'd be over the moon.

I meant more post-Kinnear when Ashley stopped paying big fees.

Forgot about Santon.

To be fair though, we've only had 3 since then, one was in the Championship and as you mention, we got HBA in one of the others. This is the fourth so it's a bit unfair to say if there's a pattern or not yet.

We need to act in the last 5 days now so I really believe we'll either get a bargain or 2 or we'll get nothing. Those late panic bids are a worrying prospect too.

Faye was shit and no one was happy to get him, Beye was unknown and a great player for us, he was a positive but at the time I doubt anyone was buzzing.

You're actually wrong on the Amady Faye point as well. If you were on this board at the time most people were happy with him, especially with his partnership with Butt. Obviously that didn't last very long.

Frustrating so far but to be expected, as we know under this régime we'll end up gambling and waiting for our main target to become available rather than just spending the money for the sake of it.

I said a few weeks ago (so it's not a knee-jerk reaction) that we could do with a quality winger despite the holes in our squad in defence and up front.

Gutierrez looks more effective in the centre these days, and while I rate him as a key player for us, assists and goals are not his forte. Marveaux has not been injury-free for years, and we know all about Obertan's limitations. It means all the pressure rests on Ben Arfa's shoulders. We had a problem creating chances for much of last season despite finishing 5th, we were fortunate to have two strikers who had excellent spells where they were very clinical and we won a lot of even games because of better finishing. Tottenham last week was not so different. We rarely opened teams up and put them to the sword, even the weaker teams in the league.

In Jonas, Ben Arfa, Marveaux and Obertan we have 4 wingers which numerically is enough, so you could argue there is no justification to invest here. But I would say there are huge question marks over Marveaux and Obertan, and Jonas has looked very good central in a midfield three as he showed against Spurs. I would move on one of Marveaux or Obertan and replace them with a winger of first team quality, or at least a player who can change a game from the bench. Adam Johnson would have been an excellent signing in my view and I was disappointed to see him end up at the mackems.

Looking across our bench on Saturday against Chelsea, you could see we had nobody who could change the game or the way we play. Raylor for Simpson, Perch for Cabaye, Marveaux for Santon.

I realise it almost certainly won't happen because we need to replace Simpson or sign him up to a new deal, and we desperately need another forward. Seeing as we tend to play 4-3-3 and seeing as we need a striker, then a forward comfortable in that wide left (or wide right) role could fit the bill perfectly and allow us to play different systems, keep teams guessing and also keep Ba and Cisse on their toes (which Ameobi will never do). It is good that Pardew knows what his best XI is as not all managers do, but with the players he has he doesn't really have much scope to change the system if it is not working or when teams figure out how to stop us which in time they will unless we have options. There are some arguing that we finished 5th last season and therefore we don't need to change but I disagree, it's an unforgiving league for teams who stand still. I am not suggesting Freddy Shepherd transfers but there is a medium between that and giving your manager next to nothing.

I´m not disagreeing with you :thup:

But the problem is that we need RB, CB and a striker just as much. The problem is just that Ashley completely ignore that since he is looking at the prince.

Man, he is even more obsessed with chasing sales than me at supermarkets :lol:

Guest ThievingMagpie

I honestly wish we didn't have our 5th place finish last year because not hearing every single delusional idiot bleat on about how we should be challenging for the CL, how we should be be at least 6th every year or worse yet hear how much of a massive club we are was a godsend. We're ahead of schedule. We didn't expect to be here last year. We shouldn't feel so god damn entitled that after one good season we should be expecting to be challenging for the CL. Why must every time we even have a whiff of good fortune everyone tries to get the club to run before it can walk. I've been around the block with this club too many times to know what happens when we try to move up.from our station too quickly. We always fail. Spectacularly. But if you insist on making a buffoon of yourself at least talk to the Sky cameras, they always love showing a delusional Geordie with ideas above his station.

Guest BooBoo

I honestly wish we didn't have our 5th place finish last year because not hearing every single delusional idiot bleat on about how we should be challenging for the CL, how we should be be at least 6th every year or worse yet hear how much of a massive club we are was a godsend. We're ahead of schedule. We didn't expect to be here last year. We shouldn't feel so god damn entitled that after one good season we should be expecting to be challenging for the CL. Why must every time we even have a whiff of good fortune everyone tries to get the club to run before it can walk. I've been around the block with this club too many times to know what happens when we try to move up.from our station too quickly. We always fail. Spectacularly. But if you insist on making a buffoon of yourself at least talk to the Sky cameras, they always love showing a delusional Geordie with ideas above his station.

Lord forgive some of us for wanting the club to show some ambition. No matter what happened last season, you should always want the next one to be better. That applies to every club, no matter what their standing. If you don't want that, then I'm not sure what the point is.