Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pathetic if we need to sell Tiote to be able to further strengthen our squad.

Do you see what I mean though? If we sold him for around £20m then I think we'd spend at least half of it fairly quickly, whereas otherwise we seem to have these windows where we just meander along doing very little. Generally make a profit or spend very little. Couple of recent exceptions were surely down to having the Carroll money in our pocket.

Oh aye I totally get your point. I just think that it's a shame we know what the limited ambitions of our owner is. We have had our best chance in who knows how long to not only consolidate on last season's finish, but to launch a real aggressive challenge for fourth place and we just haven't grasped it. I don't expect nor do I want a return to the Shepherd days of mad spending, just a little investment where we need it.

Keegan and Sir Bobby made me believe that this club could be anything we wanted it to be. After last season I don't think it's unrealistic to dream again. The owner obviously thinks differently.

I can only imagine that Ashley has assured Pards that he will get a striker at the start of the winter window. If Senegal get through we are mightily funked.

With Perch back in the reckoning and willo I think we may scrape through till christmas with the defense intact. They should have brought somebody in for taylor though... Maybe Ferguson will step up this season.

Midfield we have plenty tbh, not worried there.

Pathetic if we need to sell Tiote to be able to further strengthen our squad.

Do you see what I mean though? If we sold him for around £20m then I think we'd spend at least half of it fairly quickly, whereas otherwise we seem to have these windows where we just meander along doing very little. Generally make a profit or spend very little. Couple of recent exceptions were surely down to having the Carroll money in our pocket.

We might have considered selling Tiote if we got a £20m bid, but having seen Anita and Bigirama in action I'm glad we didn't. Both look like good additions to the squad, but neither bring what Tiote does to the team. Anita isn't as physically dominant and Bigi's still too green and needs to fill out. Those two are decent defensive midfielders, Tiote is a midfield BOSS.

If we had the summer again and had a choice between:

A) Do exactly the same again, spending sweet FA.

B) Cash in on Cabaye and use the funds to buy 3 decent players.

I would have chose the latter. Pig sick of games passing him by. Fair enough, he may prefer a different tactical style but fuck me, he's had a year to adjust and there's still far too many games where he can't get a grip on the game. And his set pieces are dreadful on the whole.

I've not been drinking by the way.

I would have chose the latter. Pig sick of games passing him by. Fair enough, he may prefer a different tactical style but fuck me, he's had a year to adjust and there's still far too many games where he can't get a grip on the game. And his set pieces are dreadful on the whole.

He's playing far too deep at the moment and is unfit.

I reckon it's dumb as fuck to just look at the fact that we kept Cabaye, Tiote ect. and say this window was OK. We lost all our depth up front and were just lucky last season than none of our fullbacks had any serious injuries.

I would have chose the latter. Pig sick of games passing him by. Fair enough, he may prefer a different tactical style but f*** me, he's had a year to adjust and there's still far too many games where he can't get a grip on the game. And his set pieces are dreadful on the whole.

You really don't like Cabaye do you?

I would have chose the latter. Pig sick of games passing him by. Fair enough, he may prefer a different tactical style but f*** me, he's had a year to adjust and there's still far too many games where he can't get a grip on the game. And his set pieces are dreadful on the whole.

On his day he looks quality. Unfortunately that's about once every five or six games.

:lol:

Laughable, how many would have applauded the sale of Simpson providing we bought Debuchy? Having our three right back options injured is bad luck, simple as that.

As soon as Taylor was injured we should have bought more cover in, so that argument is irrelevant.

PS: we have one right back option.

On his day he looks quality. Unfortunately that's about once every five or six games.

Still doesn't look like his normal self to me. I know you'll dismiss the whole fitness argument but I really think that is still actually the case. Another thing is the formation, it really restricts Cabaye's influence (btw, this isn't the first time people have mentioned Cabaye in a 4-4-2 being a bad idea).

The fitness issue is largely his own fault. Yes he looks better when more advanced but he can't hide behind tactics forever.

Time for him to deliver some quality.

The fitness issue is largely his own fault. Yes he looks better when more advanced but he can't hide behind tactics forever.

Time for him to deliver some quality.

His and the club's.

His best position is further forward, yet his game is shackled playing deep that's quite obvious. He's a creative player so I'm not sure what you're expecting from him playing so restricted.

We shouldn't have to sell to buy so your post is a waste of time.

We shouldn't have to sell to buy so your post is a waste of time.

Not really. I actually think the board were banking on there being a sale. Let's be honest, Ashley is not just going to stump up another £10million out of his pocket. It has to be self generated, we've seen enough of the fella now to know how he wants to run the club.

Sell to buy.

my thoughts on this summer´s window are....

well the squad has improved a lot where as the first team hasn´t. Bigi, amalfitiano, (maybe Good) are already promising players who can push on for a start if someone is out.

We have many players like that.....who is almost good enough for the first team. cup games and European football is where they will get their games and experience which is positive.

Anita looks like a good buy. hard to say more. great he covers more than one position.....but i can´t help thinking he was the "cheap" solution as he covers RB,LB,CDM and CM.

Yes, we managed to hold on to our key players and they should be stronger together this year, but i feel we left them down by not signing at least 1,2 or 3 more quality players in positions like CB, RB, LW,FW. If we had got just some of these postions strengthen then we would really have been able to challenge in all competitions.

Its a sign of ambition not to sell any key players....but actually i feel this window has shown lack of ambition (even though the squad is stronger). Hopefully the key players doesn´t feel this way.

We should be stronger this year as mentioned but it will be very hard to get 4th place which is our target....i hope!

Not signing Debuchy for that reasonable price that was mentioned sums everything up really. If the price mentioned is true and that he wanted to come also....and we didn´t go for it really dissapoints me. Most important position and we did nothing doesn´t make any sense to me....the players most wonder as well?

A bit stronger over all....but why should players like arfa, cabaye, tiote, cisse etc. stay on next year if our ambition is only to challenge for 4th place?

Been a s**** transfer window, we can say it now. :thup:  Couldn't give two shits about hanging onto anyone; that should have been the absolute bare minimum. I don't know why Pardew kept going on about it so much.

Not signing a striker to replace Best and Lovenkrands could prove to be an absolutely massive error. Other than that, we've simply stood still whilst our nearest rivals have strengthened. A couple of them significantly so.

Our first choice side is still extremely good when played in the right way, however we don't have the depth to compete in several competitions. We can still have a good season but my gut reaction is that we can say cheerio to any Champions League attempt, and i can't see us going far in the cups. Which is absolutely gutting because it was in our grasp with a bit of investment. We've had worse transfer windows but this one still stinks.

:thup:

Don't understand the "At least we didn't sell anyone - cheers Mike!" that Pardew has been banging on about.

Congratulations NUFC - you managed to hold onto what you already owned.

Finally got round to reading through this thread and these 2 posts sum up my thoughts. BTW did we even receive any bids for our so called star players? If not, it's hardly anything to crow about.

Our first XI is good, and Anita is probably an upgrade of Guthrie, Bigirimana has by all accounts bedded in well and could add much more added depth in a key position but aside from that we're relying on players overperforming or ones that are untried/not good enough again when before the next window we're playing at least 8 additional games.

I'm not so much annoyed, just disappointed but deep down I didn't expect much more tbh. Dafties.

Since "net spend" always seems to be an issue on here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2145179/Premier-League-transfers--summer-2012.html

Arsenal. £500k profit

Everton. £3.3m profit

Liverpool. £24m (and somehow are probably weaker :yao:

Newcastle. £2.1m

Spurs. £2.3m

I think we actually made a profit on player sales - you're counting Bassong and Dos Santos (undisclosed) as zero?

Doesn't really matter, the point stands. Neither of us have really invested much, while Liverpool (plus Chelsea etc) have again spunked loads. I suspect that one or two clubs have spent next year's TV money this year.