Left back cover (lack of)

TRon

So yesterday we saw three players, Raylor, Tavernier and Perch all line up at left back. All three were right backs playing out of position. Our first choice left back is also right-footed but we'll accept he's a genuine left back for arguments sake. Why don't we have any young left backs in our reserves who could step in for cup games and be groomed for the future?

I know some will say Shane Ferguson is a left back, but he's never on the bench for one reason or another. Does pardew even consider him a genuine defender?

Guest neesy111

So yesterday we saw three players, Raylor, Tavernier and Perch all line up at left back. All three were right backs playing out of position. Our first choice left back is also right-footed but we'll accept he's a genuine left back for arguments sake. Why don't we have any young left backs in our reserves who could step in for cup games and be groomed for the future?

I know some will say Shane Ferguson is a left back, but he's never on the bench for one reason or another. Does pardew even consider him a genuine defender?

Ferguson is picking up injuries all the time.

Gutierrez, Anita...

Both right footed midfielders.

But both have played there. However...

...Curtis Good isn't.

Naturally left footed, and can play left back according to Pards.

Why keep shoe-horning players out of their natural position? Wouldn't it be better to have a left sided version of Tavernier?

So out of those in the club who could play left back, I'd say I'd go with this heirarchy.

1. Santon - Obviously our best LB. Not the best fullback in the world defensively (like everyone else though) but the best attacking fullback we have.

2. Raylor - While Santon's the best attacking fullback we have in terms of movement, he's the best in terms of delivery. Injured sadly but undoubtedly an asset to the team. Over the wall.

3. Perch - He seems to do well at any position we play him these days and he could make a depleted side look decent in a jiffy.

4. Fergie - Started out as a LB so he's an obvious pick here. A bit injury-prone atm though, but he's got bags of potential and has a good attacking instinct.

5. Anita - Not sure if Tav is better than him at LB, but Anita seems to have the attributes for the role. Pace, good defensively, good vision for deliveries, stamina and composure on the ball (Something which only he and Santon possess among our fullbacks imo.)

6. Tav - Appears to me as a Simpson-type player at the moment, which could obviously change as he matures. Not a natural LB, but young and still adaptable.

7. Jonas - One of the best defensive wingers imo. Full back is clearly not natural to him but he will put in a good shift when needed.

8. Good - Not a natural fullback and not seen him much but I'll place him here as I've read he's a ball-playing leftie who seems mature for his age.

The accounts look fantastic though, all about the accounts.

Guest Roger Kint

What about Dummett?  Wasn't he supposed to be the up and coming left back?

How close is he to first team action?

Very close to SPL action by all accounts, heading to St Mirren on loan

The accounts look fantastic though, all about the accounts.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gutierrez, Anita...

Both right footed midfielders.

But both have played there. However...

...Curtis Good isn't.

Naturally left footed, and can play left back according to Pards.

Why keep shoe-horning players out of their natural position? Wouldn't it be better to have a left sided version of Tavernier?

He is a left sided, left footed version of Tavernier. Different styles, but both are seen by the club as primarily centre backs that can play out wide.

I don't claim to know much about Good, just going on what Pardew himself said about the lad, and he says he can play there.

I wouldn't be surprised if a part of the reason we signed Anita was to cover LB.

Why? Don't we have plenty of other right footed midfielders we can shove out there?

Well he's known to be able to play LB, he starts there on FIFA, scientific proof.