2013 Confederations Cup - Brazil 3 - 0 Spain

ponsaelius

Guest Howaythetoon

Don't think you can compare Iniesta and Xavi however a more apt comparison for Iniesta would be Zidane and I think he's better than he was.

Different players I know but Xavi is the one more often talked about or considered the better of the two. I can see where you are coming from regarding Iniesta and Zidane but I'd have to disagree, although only slightly.

Guest Howaythetoon

Struggling to see how the good atmosphere or the way Brazil approached the game in anyway indicated Brazil were afraid of Spain. If anything, the complete opposite.

Perhaps I read it wrong but every little header or even winning a throw in was greeted like a win by the crowd. Spain are a great side, then benchmark at the moment, but this is Brazil, at home.

Anyway, it was a very entertaining game and quite fast paced. I'm liking this Brazil side.

Neymar is clearly talented, but lacks the class of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Kaka et al to ever be anything great, in my opinion. He's an exciting player though, perhaps a bit different for a top-class Brazilian. I think he has what it takes to succeed in Europe. His work-rate is impessive and he's not the me me me type star you would imagine him to be, he certainly hasn't played like that in this tournament anyway.

Regarding Brazil, the were worthy winners against Spain but at times it was like watching England when they were in possession, lots of long balls and lack of ideas on the ball, with no real fluency or cohesion which is simply not like Brazil and shows just how far they have fallen recently.

Spain were poor but at times Brazil were afraid of them and you sensed it was like watching a huge underdog against the masters, even the atmosphere on the stands relayed that type of situation which is off for me anyway given Brazil should never feel like the underdog much less play like the underdog regardless of their current status or talent available.

Spain will be back and I fancy them again to go very close to winning the World Cup. There players looked tired though and things need freshened up in midfield.

Back to Brazil, Fred is very underrated, he's a very good player.

Iniesta... sometimes you forget just how good he is, he had an off game but some of his dribbles, touches and play... he's better or was better than Xavi in my opinion.

Neymar will be better than Kaka IMO who doesn't belong in the same class as Ronaldinho, Rivaldo and Ronaldo personally.

As for Iniesta better than Xavi on the night i agree, but Xavi was very poor you could name a lot of players who were better on the night.

If you meant comparing the two in general that is a different debate entirely and i can see arguments for both sides.

As for Spain giving the ball away constantly, i don't care who you are but if someone is constantly hounding you and giving you no space to breath you will make mistakes.

Doesn't matter if you are Xavi or Cattermole, no one likes being pressurised like that.

Think what HTT is getting at is there was none of Brazil's usual overconfident swagger. They respected rather than feared Spain though I would say, both the team and their fans. A combination of a big performance for Brazil and an off day for Spain I think. Fatigue, tactics and the early goal all played a part too.

Think what HTT is getting at is there was none of Brazil's usual overconfident swagger. They respected rather than feared Spain though I would say, both the team and their fans. A combination of a big performance for Brazil and an off day for Spain I think. Fatigue, tactics and the early goal all played a part too.

People are really liking to post obvious things lately. So you think fatigue, tactics and the early goal played a big role in the game? :clap: Very good observation. :p

Oh and how did we fear them?  Were all over them from minute one and won 3-0, we did respect them, but it's one of the best national teams of all time, why wouldn't they respect them?

Struggling to see how the good atmosphere or the way Brazil approached the game in anyway indicated Brazil were afraid of Spain. If anything, the complete opposite.

Perhaps I read it wrong but every little header or even winning a throw in was greeted like a win by the crowd. Spain are a great side, then benchmark at the moment, but this is Brazil, at home.

Anyway, it was a very entertaining game and quite fast paced. I'm liking this Brazil side.

It's nothing to do with fear since the fans were doing the same against Mexico, Japan, Italy and Uruguay. It's about pushing your team and showing support.

When was the last team a Brazil team had that though?

People are really liking to post obvious things lately. So you think fatigue, tactics and the early goal played a big role in the game? :clap: Very good observation. :p

Oh and how did we fear them?  Were all over them from minute one and won 3-0, we did respect them, but it's one of the best national teams of all time, why wouldn't they respect them?

It's nothing to do with fear since the fans were doing the same against Mexico, Japan, Italy and Uruguay. It's about pushing your team and showing support.

Next time you try to ridicule a person's post, you should read it properly first.

Next time you try to ridicule a person's post, you should read it properly first.

:thup: :lol: Sorry about that. Still my ridiculing part was spot on was it not? :p

:thup: :lol: Sorry about that. Still my ridiculing part was spot on was it not? :p

No worries! Yeah I wrote it in a bit of a hurry, was a bit obvious in hindsight ;)

Will be interesting to see if this is just a blip for Spain or a sign of changing times. They won't (and shouldn't) abandon their football philosophy. They didn't invent pass and move, they just do it better than anyone else. Might be time to freshen up the team though given how strong their squad is. Perhaps Xavi's position in the engine room will be under threat by the next world cup.

Thing about Xavi is that there isn't a like-for-like replacement. Thiago is too green and I don't think he'll be ready yet, even if he leaves Barça. Cesc doesn't do well in that role, he's more of an AMC.

The likes of Beñat, Herrera, etc... are a definite downgrade and - what's more important - aren't part of the setup, I don't think VdB will take them to Brazil.

I think this team, with a few changes like people like Isco coming in,  Alonso coming back... will be what we take to 2014.