The other games today - 2013/14

JH

Not sure what the craic is with where Martino is playing Messi at the moment.

He's playing wherever he's always played. Messi has only himself to blame at the minute, you can see that he's unhappy even when winning since he's not scoring. Really selfish.

I don't think he's played on the right hand side since 2009, he was there most of the game today.

He doesn't play there though, he drifts there as he's done before, he's still playing centrally. He's just drifting more to the right in order for Neymar to get more space in the left. Its not like he's playing as a right-winger. He's still the same false nine.

I don't like saying this because I'm as big a Messi fan as anyone, but he's not even in the top 2 best players in the world this season. Which, for Messi, has to be regarded as a big drop off in form.

And yes, I know we're still talking generally about exceptionally high standards.

I don't like saying this because I'm as big a Messi fan as anyone, but he's not even in the top 2 best players in the world this season. Which, for Messi, has to be regarded as a big drop off in form.

And yes, I know we're still talking generally about exceptionally high standards.

This season? Or this year? Because in the last 15 game he was fit last season he scored in 14 games in the La Liga scoring a total of 19goals. In this season he's reached 8 already + 4 in two in the CL.

He's been injured a lot, but individually he is still easily the best player in the world. Then you have to argue whether Ribery deserves it more for having won more things, but individually he's still a level above the rest.

He's playing wherever he's always played. Messi has only himself to blame at the minute, you can see that he's unhappy even when winning since he's not scoring. Really selfish.

Messi has been selfish and lazy since Pep left its not anything new.... its also a big part of the reason they were so defensively poor by comparison no pressing from the front anymore...

He needs to realise that he needs to be doing a shift for the team and can't just stand around.... not saying he should run back to his own box but at least press the ball.

Respect for Martino for realising this and getting the best out of his other forwards and make Barca as a team less predictable on the whole.

Messi has been selfish and lazy since Pep left its not anything new.... its also a big part of the reason they were so defensively poor by comparison no pressing from the front anymore...

He needs to realise that he needs to be doing a shift for the team and can't just stand around.... not saying he should run back to his own box but at least press the ball.

Respect for Martino for realising this and getting the best out of his other forwards and make Barca as a team less predictable on the whole.

:thup:

The important thing is they're winning and players like Alexis, Neymar and Pedro seem comfortable with their roles in the team.

I don't think he's lazy, I agree with his defensive roles, what I don't agree with is his selfishness in terms of rather look to shoot than pass lately. His decision making has usually always been class, but lately it's like he's getting frustrated for not scoring in every game.

Messi does seem like a bit of a cunt. He basically forced out Zlatan and Villa and is by all accounts a prick to his teammates.

This season? Or this year? Because in the last 15 game he was fit last season he scored in 14 games in the La Liga scoring a total of 19goals. In this season he's reached 8 already + 4 in two in the CL.

He's been injured a lot, but individually he is still easily the best player in the world. Then you have to argue whether Ribery deserves it more for having won more things, but individually he's still a level above the rest.

He's still the best footballer in the world. But this season, Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic have shown more world-class quality than Messi. I don't think that's especially debatable IMO.

Messi does seem like a bit of a cunt. He basically forced out Zlatan and Villa and is by all accounts a prick to his teammates.

Yeah because Ibrahimovic has such a great track record of not being a confrontational personality and frequently moving clubs, only when he was confronted with a villain like Messi :lol:

Villa wasn't forced out. He just got a significant leg break and sadly went from being a world class forward to a just a pretty good one.

They've been worse to watch ever since Guardiola left despite the improved league record. Sloppier in possession, slower intensity off the ball and more direct. This season they play so many longer direct balls, quicker passes on the transitions and greater emphasis on switching the ball wide particularly in getting Neymar in possession as often as possible. No surprise to see Sanchez thriving more in the current style of play.

Understandable they'd want to address the issue of relying on Messi for both goals and playmaking but I don't think they're particularly great at the moment personally. I thought they were a poorer outfit for pretty much the entirety of last season despite winning every week and that came to a head in every big Clasico and then against Bayern in the semis. Neymar and Messi need to be in tandem in this team when the knockout rounds come round and it's not really happening in the current set-up with Neymar going at full-backs over and over again and Messi playing deeper and frequently wider on the other side. Maybe Cruyff will be proven right about having Neymar and Messi in the same team.

Messi was lazy under Guardiola. He encouraged it because he played every game and couldn't afford to continually press the ball.

He wasn't..... he won a lot of balls high up the pitch, he would consistently press his zone.... obviously wouldn't track back or anything but was a key part of the pressing game and they got a lot of goals that way.

He doesn't do any of the sort anymore and just strolls round the pitch.

Messi does seem like a bit of a c***. He basically forced out Zlatan and Villa and is by all accounts a prick to his teammates.

Yeah because Ibrahimovic has such a great track record of not being a confrontational personality and frequently moving clubs, only when he was confronted with a villain like Messi :lol:

Villa wasn't forced out. He just got a significant leg break and sadly went from being a world class forward to a just a pretty good one.

Zlatan was forced out because Messi couldn't accept playing on the wing. This is something Guardiola says in his own book.

Guest Craig-NUFC

I think it being a World Cup season may be playing a part in why Messi is playing so half arsed. Wouldn't be surprised to see him push on around February time in an attempt to be hitting form come June.

Messi does seem like a bit of a c***. He basically forced out Zlatan and Villa and is by all accounts a prick to his teammates.

Zlatan was forced out because Messi couldn't accept playing on the wing. This is something Guardiola says in his own book.

Guardiola hasn't wrote a book  :lol:

Sorry, meant to say Balague's book about Guardiola

Guardiola hasn't wrote a book  :lol: