Stewart Downing

NUFC_Sam

I text my mate (Liverpool Fan) laughing about the loss they've made on Downing/Carroll/Cole and how they are lucky that West Ham have taken them off the wage bill....his reply was 'We are a big club, money isn't an issue'. Is money an issue in football? Do we do things the right way or the wrong way? Suppose when we are looking at others around us like West Ham coughing up silly money will nilly, just like Arsenal fans will be questioning their transfer policy when they see clubs like Spurs/Liverpool forking out the money let alone the likes of Chelsea/City. Personally I actually prefer the way us and Arsenal go about things, it seems like the right and logical way to run a football but it can be very frustrating for us supporters.

Anyway you look at it, signing those players for massive fees, having them flop, and selling them for massive losses is idiotic.

Obviously speculating would involve signing some big ticket players, some of which would inevitably fail. Basically that's what we used to do under the previous regime.

If you look at Liverpool's revenue compared to ours (and indeed most other clubs) it doesn't matter. A big gripe of mine is that the money Liverpool have wasted in recent years should have seen them in real trouble. Instead they don't really have any consequence to this mismanagement. A few years ago they were looking like being in trouble and then new owners come in and all their money problems got solved. This is despite not having any real relevant success.

We do parts of business the right way, but we are suffering due to a lack of ambition that starts at the owner and runs down to the manager.

Football is a poorer sport by virtue of its failure to provide financial equality.

Yep, spot on, everything basically depends on the willingness of the owner to spend their personal wealth. It's basically rendered normal competition obsolete.

Definitely, at least we've spent something this window :D  Arsenal have brought nobody in (a youth player for free doesn't really count) and have sold/released something like 20 players and brought in £10m in fee's.

Arsenal didn't nearly just get relegated. Finished 4th in fact.

Definitely, at least we've spent something this window :D  Arsenal have brought nobody in (a youth player for free doesn't really count) and have sold/released something like 20 players and brought in £10m in fee's.

We know what happens if you fail to strengthen after a good finish though, right?

You didn't think just maybe that was tongue in cheek? :)

Having said that Arsenal certainly have even less excuse than us for spending fuck all and not improving the squad with the money they have.

We know what happens if you fail to strengthen after a good finish though, right?

Arsenal are consistently in the top 4 so whatever they do works.

None of us would be surprised if they went and spent £30-40 million in the next few weeks either.

You didn't think just maybe that was tongue in cheek? :)

No.

Think people are saying being careful with your money is the right and logical way of running a club, instead of throwing cash around.  Neither way means you'll automatically get the right players for the positions you need to fill, that comes down to the people making the decisions and which positions we need to fill.  Freddy spent loads but we still went years with problem positions that he'd ignore year after year.

Not very intuitive then are you :lol:

I can spot when someone is backtracking. "tongue in cheek" or "drunk" is the give away.

Nah mate unlike you I don't try to pretend I didn't really mean something after I realise how fucking stupid it was "Downing's a top, top player like" :lol:

I can spot when someone is backtracking. "tongue in cheek" or "drunk" is the give away.

Nah mate unlike you I don't try to pretend I didn't really mean something after I realise how fucking stupid it was "Downing's a top, top player like" :lol:

I'd rather pay the extra and get Ince but he could be rather handy.

Aye.

Aye.

And?, so Ince is even more of a top player :D  Its easy to be a difficult cunt like..

My post was so obviously tongue in cheek you're just embarrassed you didn't catch it man :lol:

Aye.

And?, so Ince is even more of a top player.

Here's me calling Downing "average"...

Too English. Not cool enough.

They are all massively average bar maybe Carroll

Separately, yes. Together they'll do a good job.

I've got all day.

None of us would be surprised if they went and spent £30-40 million in the next few weeks either.

It's all relative though. Arsenal sell players for £15m right up to £25m, and very rarely spend that themselves.

I've got all day.

Those quotes are from 5 days after you claimed he was a top, top player :lol:

I suppose I could probably hunt around for a quote of me saying that us and Arsenal aren't comparable.  But its more fun to make you to look around to try to prove you didn't think Stewart Downing was a top, top player :D

It's easy for us to say well Arsenal are top 4, everything is fine, we however are shit. However look at it from an Arsenal's fans point of view and they see the whole situation just like ours. A manager who is happy to say what the board want him to say and isn't really bothered if his best players are constantly sold and the money not re-invested to the penny made. I can certainly see why they are fed up of Arsenal just battling Spurs for 4th place when if they went out in a summer and spent big, they could challenge for the title if a couple of positions were upgraded. Instead they are just content on finishing 4th and letting the champions league money roll into there bank account and hope Wenger produces a player to be world class to be sold at a nice profit. They have got a nice stadium though as the owners keep referring too.

It's all relative though. Arsenal sell players for £15m right up to £25m, and very rarely spend that themselves.

I think Wenger is both too old school and too good to be throwing £30 million around every window. One of his biggest strengths is buying players.

I've got all day.

Those quotes are from 5 days after you claimed he was a top, top player :lol:

So he went from "average but possibly rather handy" to "a top, top player" to "average but possibly rather handy" within a few days? 

Please just admit you were wrong.