Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Jack Flash
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The only way I can possibly see this season being anything other than a car crash is if the relatively low investment youngsters pay off big style. I'm talking about Aarons and Perez doing an Andy Carroll and taking the premier by storm from nowhere. Aarons has already saved Pardew from his 2nd home loss in a row. It really is Ashley's biggest gamble yet and he'll be absolutely loving it.

You are right, but its difficult to compare Aarons & Perez with Carroll - Andy Carroll was a big, physical player who could use his size & strength to combat defenders even when his skill level was not as great as the two we are talking about now...defenders in the PL will have noticed what Aarons did in his sub appearance last Saturday and they will start doubling up on him.Neither he nor Perez are big guys and defenders will also try to intimidate them. How they handle this will determine how they turn out as players...the ideal would have been to gradually bed them into the PL by sub appearances when the team was winning games...as it is, they are likely to be either first choice from the off, or put on when we are losing so they are under pressure immediately. Aarons came up trumps on Sat but he will find it tougher against better teams than Palace until he fills out - likewise Perez.

Our buying(or lack of)policy places a big responsibility on young players like this and could ruin them.

Off NUFC.com:

Window dealings:

In (9): Ayoze Perez, Jack Colback, Siem De Jong, Remy Cabella, Emmanuel Riviere, Daryl Janmaat, Facundo Ferreyra, Jamaal Lascelles, Karl Darlow.

Out (9): Shola Ameobi, Dan Gosling, Luuk De Jong, Loic Remy, James Tavernier, Romain Amalfitano, Mathieu Debuchy, Sylvain Marveaux, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa.

Obviously increase the outs to 10 with HBA.

I'd say that apart from Rémy, who is at the moment clearly better than any of our current forwards (but who was never really ours), the 9 "In" are qualitatively superior to the 9 "out". Considering that Ben Arfa had been frozen out so probably wasn't going to be part of the team even if he stayed, in my opinion the factor that really hurt us this past window was loaning out MYM on the last day and not replacing him. I think too much is being made of the striker situation; I like Ayoze and Ferreyra should be given a chance to prove his worth. Even attacking midfielders Cabella and De Jong both have goal-scoring ability and instincts. If we struggle to score it will probably be because we simply struggle to create chances due to poor play.

It wasn't that far off from being a good window, but leaving us with a thin defence means it has to be judged negatively.

:o :o :kasper: :o

This cannot be serious??

Numbers out 9, numbers in 7/6 (2 aren't here, 1 has vanished into thin air and a couple of the others look as weak as dishwater)

Ben Arfa being frozen out was the issue. the fact it had been allowed to happen weakened us immeasurably

MYM not being replaced...Why was he let go in the first place. These are the actual questions that lead to the truth of the matter: a manager who can't manage, who alienates anyone he can't immediatley control or doesn't fit with his archaic idea of what a footballer is, and a board who are indifferent at best to our collapse and demise under their puppet.

As for the striker/forward thing.

Oh we have the 'bodies' arguably 5 choices: one who is so out of form he has been ineffective for months, one who has gone awol/vanished/been abducted by aliens. a cheap option who looks rather weak, a quite costly option who certainly has skill, he can do a step over on the touchline nae bother (so long as he's alone mind) and a young lad who looks promising but has come from a foreign league, not even the top one in that country who has been the best looking of the bunch....Oh aye we will be ripping up trees son :jesuswept:

"good window" :jesuswept:

Who said we didn't have fans who were happy to settle for mediocrity??

Guest Howaythetoon

You can only come to one conclusion really and that is it has been an absolutely brilliant window. 9 players signed, no money spent (we don't want to do a Leeds/Pompey do we?!) and we got rid of an over weight trouble maker and a defender who can't jump high enough to head the ball. Plus we've looked pretty good in the actual games. Not getting pasted off City, a clean sheet at Villa and a thrilling 3-3 draw at home to Palace. What more could one ask for really. Oh and Shola has gone! Well done Big Mike, Pardiola and the Charnster.

Can't believe the club that brought me into loving football is also responsible for my rotten mood and anger towards it. Spent basically 18 years wishing and dreaming of attending St James Park and celebrating a goal in the Gallowgate end, or sitting high up in the Leazes end and all that, and now I couldn't help but be sick to my stomach at the constant piss take. I'm truly broken and disjointed from anything about this club. Some will say its no different the past few years, but Ben Arfa and MYM situation personified all that is wrong with this club. Sick to my stomach this morning that a talent like HBA didn't just get frozen out for past 1/2 year or so, but he's been loaned out on the last possible day to a fellow PL club. God, I hope he makes Pardew look like a fucking mug - hope all media outlets wank silly about how brilliant he's become again and he get's a move abroad and we get to see another Mascherano and Tevez situation all over again, the fucking cunt.