Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Jack Flash
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest reefatoon

I had to click on not arsed either way, as I have not been remotely attached to anything that has happened this summer. When we didn't sack the numb nuts in the summer, I basically just gave up on it all, I lost any ounce of interest I might have had. I must say, it does feel really refreshing to not get worked up by it all anymore.

The writings been on the wall for this clusterfuck of a season since the window opened imho. That's why I made the post saying how unimpressed I was, even before we let 2 of our best players leave.

Ashley is a renowned gambler and when all they desire is a 9th-16th place finish he simply gambles on this every year and it shows with his player trading.

I think they've dropped a major bollock this summer though. Their whole summer business and new playing system revolves around De Jong who has to perform in every game in order for us to carry any form of threat. If he's injured (guess what......no replacement in the squad for this position) or shite then we're fucked. Proper fucked.

Cabella looks lightweight to fuck to me and he's going to take a good while to get to grips with our game.

Riviere has got no history of consistent goalscoring.

How do we intend scoring goals with an injury prone playmaker, a trickster you could blow over and a forward who's record is poxy?

Add to that an aging defence with no cover and frig all in the way of proven wingers and I think we're fucked.

The gamble too far. We'll be bottom four this season and Pardew won't last it.

This club is toxic. Fucking fed up of it.

It was decent, until yesterday. Cabella and de Jong were really good purchases, the former especially and I'm confident he's going to be as massive for us as he was for Montpellier.

However, we're now left without any cover so we pretty much need to go injury free for the next 4 months... f***ing hell, man.

We needed to add to the early buys, not weaken ourselves.

Far, far weaker now.

One injury/homesick bout/suspension to a CH away from disaster, saving one of the 'young uns' performing heroics and being the next Bobby Moore in waiting.

No goals foreseeable from our forwards, admittedly plenty 'bodies' up front: problem is they appear to be rather piss poor bodies at this point (Young lad Perez apart imo).

Flare and creativity loaned out to a side we will be in and around, at best for us, this season.

Keeper situation worries me. God forbid an injury to Krul.

Willo/Taylor in front of Elliot: in 2014, against pacy and bright attacks...that'll be fun.

Off NUFC.com:

Window dealings:

In (9): Ayoze Perez, Jack Colback, Siem De Jong, Remy Cabella, Emmanuel Riviere, Daryl Janmaat, Facundo Ferreyra, Jamaal Lascelles, Karl Darlow.

Out (9): Shola Ameobi, Dan Gosling, Luuk De Jong, Loic Remy, James Tavernier, Romain Amalfitano, Mathieu Debuchy, Sylvain Marveaux, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa.

Obviously increase the outs to 10 with HBA.

I'd say that apart from Rémy, who is at the moment clearly better than any of our current forwards (but who was never really ours), the 9 "In" are qualitatively superior to the 9 "out". Considering that Ben Arfa had been frozen out so probably wasn't going to be part of the team even if he stayed, in my opinion the factor that really hurt us this past window was loaning out MYM on the last day and not replacing him. I think too much is being made of the striker situation; I like Ayoze and Ferreyra should be given a chance to prove his worth. Even attacking midfielders Cabella and De Jong both have goal-scoring ability and instincts. If we struggle to score it will probably be because we simply struggle to create chances due to poor play.

It wasn't that far off from being a good window, but leaving us with a thin defence means it has to be judged negatively.

Guest TruToon94

I'd never thought I'd see the day were Hull City where the bloody envy of our supporters. Good God, I have to ask two things. 1) Is there any other club worse run than us when it comes to transfers? Leeds is the only other one I can think of. 2) Is this the worst transfer window ever for NUFC?

I'd never thought I'd see the day were Hull City where the bloody envy of our supporters. Good God, I have to ask two things. 1) Is there any other club worse run than us when it comes to transfers? Leeds is the only other one I can think of. 2) Is this the worst transfer window ever for NUFC?

1) QPR I'd say manage to be worse than us. 2) No, January 2014 was far worse IMO.

I said a few weeks ago i was disappointed. Just didn't see where the goals would come from.

With HBA gone and little defensive cover. We'll be in a relegation scrap. Quality in the final third is sparse. Quality and depth in defence.  Terrible. We will be in the shit by Christmas. Ashley might have to dip back into the market then as he'll not sack Pardew.

The only way I can possibly see this season being anything other than a car crash is if the relatively low investment youngsters pay off big style. I'm talking about Aarons and Perez doing an Andy Carroll and taking the premier by storm from nowhere. Aarons has already saved Pardew from his 2nd home loss in a row. It really is Ashley's biggest gamble yet and he'll be absolutely loving it.