The other games today - 2013/14

Dave

:thup:

It's not fair comparing Sweden, Norway and Belgium with Brazil though. The sheer numbers of youngsters playing football for one thing - small countries can't afford losing talents but have to make sure as many talents as  possible make it all the way.

Absolutely, I'm just saying that there's a reason to why Scandinavian football is decreasing in level over the past years, I do think it has a lot to do with mentality provided by the coaches. I have seen an improvement over the last few years and hope it continues.

so, er, Cuauhtémoc Blanco is starting for Mexico tonight.

Good call, Mexico. It's not like there's a world cup coming up, and even if there was, I'm sure you will have qualified with ease and definitely didn't need a last minute goal from your biggest rivals to spare your blushes.

PSYCH, ALL THAT STUFF ACTUALLY DID HAPPEN OR IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN.

He''s still alive? :lol:

Are they not taking the world cup seriously then? :lol:

It was basically a glorified testimonial for him. He's not going to Brazil.

Precisely. Seems a bit of a crap use of preparation time.

Tbf it was just Israel they were playing, and he only went 38 minutes.

Still, fuck 'em.

7 goals in ten games against USA, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama and Jamaica and they give old man blanco a game instead of taking World Cup preparation seriously.

Hope they get fucking mullered.

Still, fuck 'em.

You could've told me he was starting for them at Brazil and I probably would have believed you :lol:

Still, fuck 'em.

You could've told me he was starting for them at Brazil and I probably would have believed you :lol:

He's their Beasley. :lol:

Very true. Also think an issue is that we don't separate the better youngsters from the s*** ones at an earlier time. The mentality we have that "everyone needs to play, it's not about winning but having fun" until they're about 16 years old makes the young players play against s*** opponents rather than play with good teammates against better opposition.

:thup: x100 We're too scared of it, it's pure scandinavian mentality, no one should be better than anyone.  It's just ridiculous.

"Everyone needs to play" is a disgrace. It's a noble idea but one that countries our size just simply can't afford. Remember being pissed as a kid when the opposition could choose who plays double shifts in our team if we didn't have full lines in hockey. Like it really matters who wins the U-10 match. Apparently it even got worse after my time and even goals weren't counted, everyone just has to play and have fun.

After the last WJHC even the big boss of Finnish Hockey admitted that "everybody plays" resulted in many lost generations. Hopefully things are changing now.

Very true. Also think an issue is that we don't separate the better youngsters from the s*** ones at an earlier time. The mentality we have that "everyone needs to play, it's not about winning but having fun" until they're about 16 years old makes the young players play against s*** opponents rather than play with good teammates against better opposition.

:thup: x100 We're too scared of it, it's pure scandinavian mentality, no one should be better than anyone.  It's just ridiculous.

"Everyone needs to play" is a disgrace. It's a noble idea but one that countries our size just simply can't afford. Remember being p*ssed as a kid when the opposition could choose who plays double shifts in our team if we didn't have full lines in hockey. Like it really matters who wins the U-10 match. Apparently it even got worse after my time and even goals weren't counted, everyone just has to play and have fun.

After the last WJHC even the big boss of Finnish Hockey admitted that "everybody plays" resulted in many lost generations. Hopefully things are changing now.

:thup:

I think in England, a little too much focus is on winning at a young age, which as a kid is often down to who is the strongest and fastest.

Wenger said kids play too much competitive football here and not enough focus is on time spent training. No left foot. Can't head the ball etc.

Same thing with our lower leagues. So many players but the focus is all about winning. I read (maybe here) that in places like Croatia with a population smaller than London, the focus in all leagues is how they play. Ability. Technique. They'll not get much for winning things in Croatia but play well.. you might get a big move abroad.

I think in England, a little too much focus is on winning at a young age, which as a kid is often down to who is the strongest and fastest.

Wenger said kids play too much competitive football here and not enough focus is on time spent training. No left foot. Can't head the ball etc.

It really annoys me when really good footballers can't kick the ball on their bad foot

7 goals in ten games against USA, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama and Jamaica and they give old man blanco a game instead of taking World Cup preparation seriously.

Hope they get fucking mullered.

Exactly what I thought after reading that.

For the insomniacs out there who just love the random combinations pre-WC friendlies throw up, then how's about a double helping of zanyness at 1.30am when Bosnia take on Ivory Coast and Chile say hello to Egypt.

You want more? Of course you do. So get yourself aboard the 12.30am Uruguay v Northern Ireland train. Next stop, Montevideo. Choo fucking choo.

The thought of Northern Irish people simply being in Montevideo amuses me regardless of what they're their for.

You want more? Of course you do. So get yourself aboard the 12.30am Uruguay v Northern Ireland train. Next stop, Montevideo. Choo fucking choo.

Going to sit and watch the other us get hammered then. This is on red button and on the BBC website for those interested.

:lol: slayed by choo fucking choo.

9:15pm 8th June, Sky Sports 3...I've said too much already.