Clément Grenier

LRD

By all means sign players on the last day. If it's an opportunistic purchase, and we're in a good position, then go for it.

We should not be however, REPLACING already departed players in desperation on the last fucking day.

It's like most people predicted even once it was clear Cabaye was being sold, we are comfortably going to finish mid-table, why on earth would Ashley spend money on a replacement? To finish 8th instead of 10th? People can say we are only 5 points off Europe, but we already know the powers that be don't want Europe. If we shift Marveaux and Jonas in the summer we might add to the squad then.

Guest alijmitchell

How can anyone claim out squad isn't threadbare? We've been quite lucky with injuries this season, but a couple now (and suspension to Remy) and look at the potential squad we'll be playing tomorrow?

We have 2 strikers on loan, no left winger, no attacking midfielder Pardew is happy to use, no/poor back-up at RB or GK, no quality partner for Collocini. 1 or 2 injuries and we have to completely chance our formation or play people out of position.

I think the idea of threadbare from some people's perspective is perhaps to have literally no replacements available, or playing players way out of position to cover holes in the first team. We do have 'cover' for every position, problem is, that they aren't nearly good enough yet.

It's like most people predicted even once it was clear Cabaye was being sold, we are comfortably going to finish mid-table, why on earth would Ashley spend money on a replacement? To finish 8th instead of 10th? People can say we are only 5 points off Europe, but we already know the powers that be don't want Europe. If we shift Marveaux and Jonas in the summer we might add to the squad then.

:thup: A few of our better players must be close to sussing it out by now.  Why is someone like Tim Krul for example wasting his career at NUFC?

Nobody is wasting their career at NUFC FFS, come on man. Unbelievable how people can run us down so much while praising the likes of Everton and Swansea to the rafters for how great they are. It's like we've all locked ourselves in our cellar and we're muttering paranoid delusions about the outside world.

Not having a go like, but we need some perspective. These players are competing every week in the PL for a club with a massive stadium and dedicated fan base. Aye, they aren't winning the title, but only so many players can play for Man City and Chelsea. Jeez.

Nobody is wasting their career at NUFC FFS, come on man. Unbelievable how people can run us down so much while praising the likes of Everton and Swansea to the rafters for how great they are. It's like we've all locked ourselves in our cellar and we're muttering paranoid delusions about the outside world.

Not having a go like, but we need some perspective. These players are competing every week in the PL for a club with a massive stadium and dedicated fan base. Aye, they aren't winning the title, but only so many players can play for Man City and Chelsea. Jeez.

The club is in a footballing coma Ian. Floating along to premiership survival every year. That's probably great if you're a middle of the road plodder but when you're a top class player, you aspire to more.

The club is in a footballing coma Ian. Floating along to premiership survival every year. That's probably great if you're a middle of the road plodder but when you're a top class player, you aspire to more.

Clearly sometimes people like Cabaye will leave when they become good enough to play for someone like PSG. But that doesn't really disprove my basic point.

No-one can deny that through utter incompetence and penny-pinching we have a threadbare squad, and are seemingly content selling our best players without any kind of replacement ready. As for the debate on whether you would rather have a better player at a later date than an average player now, it is utter crap. The point is moot - as a healthy, professional and competitive football club, we should have scouted a number of options, and be prepared for the eventually of losing players if that is part of our business plan. What shines through all of this is sheer incompetence from everyone at the club, driven by a lack of desire to dramatically improve the footballing ambitions of the club.

Oh yes they can :)

No-one can deny that through utter incompetence and penny-pinching we have a threadbare squad, and are seemingly content selling our best players without any kind of replacement ready. As for the debate on whether you would rather have a better player at a later date than an average player now, it is utter crap. The point is moot - as a healthy, professional and competitive football club, we should have scouted a number of options, and be prepared for the eventually of losing players if that is part of our business plan. What shines through all of this is sheer incompetence from everyone at the club, driven by a lack of desire to dramatically improve the footballing ambitions of the club.

Oh yes they can :)

Course they can, different opinions innit.

Our squad is worse than it could be, it's not threadbare. I agree with the point about signings to a point, but I also think we have an idealised idea of how other clubs conduct their business.

No we haven't.  People are just looking at the in-comings and out-goings from the club and going to a logical conclusion.

Dunno like, we seem to have this idea that everyone scouts 2 or 3 replacements and has them all ready to sign on the dotted line whenever a player is sold. And everyone does their business with ages left in the window etc.

If not I've read it wrong, just saying what I feel.

So why haven't we found other targets from when the agreement for him to leave in August was in-place?

That's 4-5 months.

Don't understand what you're asking, sorry.

Play the old play dumb card. It isn't difficult for someone of your intellect to grasp. The question neesy is asking is why after knowing Cabaye was leaving in August,  have we scouted out replacements that wouldn't be a tough cookie to crack in view of getting the players "over the line" signature on paper wise.

Our squad is worse than it could be, it's not threadbare. I agree with the point about signings to a point, but I also think we have an idealised idea of how other clubs conduct their business.

No we haven't.  People are just looking at the in-comings and out-goings from the club and going to a logical conclusion.

Dunno like, we seem to have this idea that everyone scouts 2 or 3 replacements and has them all ready to sign on the dotted line whenever a player is sold. And everyone does their business with ages left in the window etc.

If not I've read it wrong, just saying what I feel.

So why haven't we found other targets from when the agreement for him to leave in August was in-place?

That's 4-5 months.

Don't understand what you're asking, sorry.

Play the old play dumb card. It isn't difficult for someone of your intellect to grasp. The question neesy is asking is why after knowing Cabaye was leaving in August,  have we scouted out replacements that wouldn't be a tough cookie to crack in view of getting the players "over the line" signature on paper wise.

Oh right, well I never argued that. My point was that we have an idealised view of how well transfers are always conducted by other clubs. I didn't try to defend the lack of a Cabaye replacement specifically.

There is no defense of the way this club is run. What's the point of good business practice if the football doesn't matter? Certainly made me stop spending my money on it, if not my interest in the club and theres every need to rage about it; we're treated as a tolerated annoyance provide we buy our ticket, a wonga-ised shirt and a pie once a week.

What they will do is spend the 20 million from Cabaye in the Summer on two or three players and then try and build this up completely forgetting that there has been no permanent transfers for 18 months and that 60 million sky money was not used. They will also claim wages and not mention that several players have left in that time also. Basically spending sweet fuck all and some people on here are so gullible to lap that up.

Guest neesy111

Nobody is wasting their career at NUFC FFS.

Cabaye said he wanted to win something.

He was wasting his time being at NUFC in that case.

Guest alijmitchell

Tim Krul wasting away here, f***ing hell  :spit:

Okay, What do you think Tim Krul could achieve in football realistically? If you could put yourself in his position, what do you think he thinks he can achieve? Can NUFC at present match his ambition or help him to get there? Or is the answer to Tim Krul's conundrum to move elsewhere?

Sure, but there is a big difference between being ready for a step up to "wasting your career". If anything we helped him further his career.

As I've said loads of times, sometimes players will be ready to move on and/or become good enough to play for someone class.

Okay, What do you think Tim Krul could achieve in football realistically? If you could put yourself in his position, what do you think he thinks he can achieve? Can NUFC at present match his ambition or help him to get there? Or is the answer to Tim Krul's conundrum to move elsewhere?

Does Tim Krul have a conundrum? He's playing every week in a top league in front of 50k fans and he's keeping goal for the Netherlands. I doubt he wakes up every morning gutted about how his career is going.

What they will do is spend the 20 million from Cabaye in the Summer on two or three players and then try and build this up completely forgetting that there has been no permanent transfers for 18 months and that 60 million sky money was not used. They will also claim wages and not mention that several players have left in that time also. Basically spending sweet fuck all and some people on here are so gullible to lap that up.

I don't think they are that arsed about which player they sign either as long as it's good value. If Gomis is still there, there's a freebie. If Grenier or Cabella don't want to know, there'll be some other 22 yr old who might be a decent investment.

Guest alijmitchell

Sure, but there is a big difference between being ready for a step up to "wasting your career". If anything we helped him further his career.

As I've said loads of times, sometimes players will be ready to move on and/or become good enough to play for someone class.

Right, obviously, Cabaye has developed since playing here so in that sense his time here was not a waste of time. However, had PSG not come in for him and he stayed here, I think from his perspective he was wasting his career, right. Player perspective is that we aren't ambitious enough for where they see themselves.

Guest alijmitchell

Does Tim Krul have a conundrum? He's playing every week in a top league in front of 50k fans and he's keeping goal for the Netherlands. I doubt he wakes up every morning gutted about how his career is going.

He could be considering his future, and he could not be. Perhaps not an immediate concern for him, but the conundrum would be if another club came in for him.

Right, obviously, Cabaye has developed since playing here so in that sense his time here was not a waste of time. However, had PSG not come in for him and he stayed here, I think from his perspective he was wasting his career, right. Player perspective is that we aren't ambitious enough for where they see themselves.

I don't know, quite a nuanced argument really. I wouldn't say it's a question of 'ambition', it's more a question of how successful you'll be in the immediate future. Most progress is too slow to benefit a player who has become good enough to move to a much more successful club immediately.

If we were likely to be in the CL next season then we might have held onto Cabaye, I don't deny that. But say we were aiming to be in the CL with the next 3-5 years (which we're not I know) I think we would still have lost him.

Guest alijmitchell

I don't know, quite a nuanced argument really. I wouldn't say it's a question of 'ambition', it's more a question of how successful you'll be in the immediate future. Most progress is too slow to benefit a player who has become good enough to move to a much more successful club immediately.

If we were likely to be in the CL next season then we might have held onto Cabaye, I don't deny that. But say we were aiming to be in the CL with the next 3-5 years (which we're not I know) I think we would still have lost him.

I get what you're saying, especially around it being nuanced - i.e. if another club comes in, and trying to guess the perspective/ambition of individual players. However, this is what we are faced with at present. Other clubs offering for our players, and the player making a decision based on their current standing, what they would like to achieve, which club can help them do that, and what kind of money is on the table. Money aside, for players that have a higher standing in the game, and believe that they are good enough to achieve cups, titles, playing in the champions league, then at present, moving to or staying at NUFC is a waste of time, as the signs show a lack of progress.