Clément Grenier

LRD

FWIW. Shay Given.

Aye, Man City came calling offering big wages and he was basically coming to the end of his career.

If the Given situation says anything, it tells Krul it's not always greener on the other side. I'm sure Given regrets how things have turned out for him after leaving us behind but it's worked out best for us too for the development of Krul.

They have actually managed to change some supporters mindsets from that of  football fans to people who take more interest in balance sheets and accounts.

It's canny annoying, this line. If you want to talk about transfers or ambition or anything like that you have to also talk about money.

At one point no one was arsed about transfer fees - it was just about getting the right players. I wish the board and supporters put the same level of concern into the teamsheet as they do the balance sheet.

Possibly, but that's just a sign of how football is organised now. Obviously if you ignore money we should always make more and more signings, pay whatever wages and every time we don't do that it's a massive failure. But surely you're just being willfully ignorant of reality if you take that view?

I'm not sure what kind of point you're trying to make here? That players don't leave clubs if they've been there for a while and have publicly said they're happy to stay?

My original point is we aren't wasting away Tim Krul's career, we've been brilliant to him. I also don't expect any transfer requests from him anytime soon either as i think he loves it here but were a top club come calling i think he will leave as you would expect him too.

Surprised people think Krul is wasting away and will be looking for a new club. Don't think he's shown anything in the slightest to suggest that and it's just another case of look how good he is, he can do better than us, papers link him with another club so he will be leaving in the next window.

I don't think anyone has said Tim Krul is looking for a new club? You're doing that thing again where you tell people what they're saying/thinking.

We're basically limiting any player on our books to what they can achieve, it's not a stretch to suggest that is wasting their careers. Tim Krul and many others will have a lot of reasons why they love playing for the club, it's a great club regardless of the lack of ambition from the owners, but they'll never have a chance of winning anything here in a business that is primarily about winning things.

Shola Ameobi will probably start the derby tomorrow. In 2014.

Guess that's what happens when the other four options are suspended, injured or not match fit. Even in 2014  :)

Just as well we didn't bin him as we've nowt else left, though god knows how it will affect the passing game we've been becoming quite accomplished at of late.

I'd be astonished if any player in the dressing room, Tim Krul included, wouldn't seriously consider a move to a more ambitious club. And it'll only increase the longer this goes on.

You could apply this to almost every footballer in the world.

AYE IAN YOU COULD MATE

The obvious point is that our sheer lack of ambition means that there's a far greater pool of clubs who are a far more attractive option than us than needs be.

They have actually managed to change some supporters mindsets from that of  football fans to people who take more interest in balance sheets and accounts.

It's canny annoying, this line. If you want to talk about transfers or ambition or anything like that you have to also talk about money.

At one point no one was arsed about transfer fees - it was just about getting the right players. I wish the board and supporters put the same level of concern into the teamsheet as they do the balance sheet.

Possibly, but that's just a sign of how football is organised now. Obviously if you ignore money we should always make more and more signings, pay whatever wages and every time we don't do that it's a massive failure. But surely you're just being willfully ignorant of reality if you take that view?

You're being 'willfully ignorant' of what I said. I don't mean to go and splash out and spend absolute fortunes whilst spending ridiculous wages. Just something would be nice. Someone with a bit of flair, a bit of excitement for the suffering fans. How can Southampton, Swansea etc afford to go out and buy players for £10m plus whilst we can't.

We'll never ever compete with this current regime yet you seem to almost accept this as the norm. It's wrong, it's all wrong.

Debut in 2000 :laugh:

From his Wiki:

Home Life

When Shola isn't on the football pitch, he likes to make time for some of his other passions, the main ones of which being interior design and unique furnishings. Shola takes much of his inspiration from things he sees outside his window and things that he has seen in bars. One of Shola's most treasured furnishings is his unique coffee table. The circular coffee table, underneath its glass surface, is adorned with an array of coloured disco lights. A piece, by Shola's own admission, that "you don't see many of those knocking about".

Guess that's what happens when the other four options are suspended, injured or not match fit. Even in 2014  :)

Just as well we didn't bin him as we've nowt else left, though god knows how it will affect the passing game we've been becoming quite accomplished at of late.

Don't pretend like he hasn't been second choice striker all season.

The other 4 options :lol:

This includes our left winger, a player who's become allergic to scoring, and some lad we signed a couple of days ago :lol:

You're being 'willfully ignorant' of what I said. I don't mean to go and splash out and spend absolute fortunes whilst spending ridiculous wages. Just something would be nice. Someone with a bit of flair, a bit of excitement for the suffering fans. How can Southampton, Swansea etc afford to go out and buy players for £10m plus whilst we can't.

We'll never ever compete with this current regime yet you seem to almost accept this as the norm. It's wrong, it's all wrong.

We're not *really* suffering though. We're eighth. We've won at Old Trafford, White Hart Lane. Beaten Chelsea. Sure, there's been some poor performances too but after last season I'd have taken this position. A lot of clubs would love to swap with us and bear our suffering.

We're not *really* suffering though. We're eighth. We've won at Old Trafford, White Hart Lane. Beaten Chelsea. Sure, there's been some poor performances too but after last season I'd have taken this position. A lot of clubs would love to swap with us and bear our suffering.

It's fucking pathetic man. The acceptance of mediocrity amongst some of our fan base if frankly embarrassing and also part of the problem. Would you go into a deli and ask for a big breakfast then feel satisfied if they gave you a bacon sarnie?

Still looking down rather than up then?

Guest alijmitchell

It's f***ing pathetic man. The acceptance of mediocrity amongst some of our fan base if frankly embarrassing and also part of the problem. Would you go into a deli and ask for a big breakfast then feel satisfied if they gave you a bacon sarnie?

Plenty of other people who would kill for a Bacon Sarnie, people starving across Africa

We've battled for CL spots before even the title. Yet, even though we are probably in a more stable position financially some are happy to accept 8th as being ok. Yes 8th is a massive improvement on a relegation battle and we are better off than I expected us to be last season but this is not something to celebrate, this is not an achievement, with the players we have and the resources we have this should be viewed as bare minimum.  Modest investment, having a board that cared about the football and a better manager could see us challenging for the CL spots, especially this season where everyone bar the top 3 have been fairly mediocre.

Guest alijmitchell

I'm not sure what kind of point you're trying to make here? That players don't leave clubs if they've been there for a while and have publicly said they're happy to stay?

My original point is we aren't wasting away Tim Krul's career, we've been brilliant to him. I also don't expect any transfer requests from him anytime soon either as i think he loves it here but were a top club come calling i think he will leave as you would expect him too.

Surprised people think Krul is wasting away and will be looking for a new club. Don't think he's shown anything in the slightest to suggest that and it's just another case of look how good he is, he can do better than us, papers link him with another club so he will be leaving in the next window.

We have been good to Krul, and he's developed here. Much like Cabaye. Both have a bright footballing career ahead, I'd imagine both want to achieve bigger things than we can offer, or are even prepared to try and offer. You can't rely on the affinity to the club to keep Krul here, good players want to see progress. The only 2 players I can think of that stayed on affinity alone were probably Shearer and Harper. Even then I'm not sure Shearer would have come here if we weren't challenging. At this point going forward, Tim Krul is wasting his career if he wants to win things and challenge for the Champions League, as is HBA, MYM, Santon, Sissoko etc.

Tim Krul is wasting his career if he wants to win things and challenge for the Champions League, as is HBA, MYM, Santon, Sissoko etc.

Our players get linked away every window, it's because we have a good team. Like it or not but Ashley has built a good team here, then once they hit a standard worthy of champions league football, we say they are too good for us and will leave. The fact we have a good handful of these players whilst other clubs maybe have one or two if they are lucky, shows how good our team really is.

Tim Krul is wasting his career if he wants to win things and challenge for the Champions League, as is HBA, MYM, Santon, Sissoko etc.

Our players get linked away every window, it's because we have a good team. Like it or not but Ashley has built a good team here, then once they hit a standard worthy of champions league football, we say they are too good for us and will leave. The fact we have a good handful of these players whilst other clubs maybe have one or two if they are lucky, shows how good our team really is.

Ashley built the team? I thought the fat fucker is useless...but hats off for his scouting skills then

Ashley built the team? I thought the fat f***er is useless...but hats off for his scouting skills then

:lol:

Well i'd say Roman built Chelsea, the Arabs built Man City...i wouldn't look into their chief scout and heap the praise. Ashley is the one who has put the money in for the majority of players we have now and is paying their wages. He's done excellent for the money he has spent to assemble such a team. There's just still many other factors to why he's still hated here and rightly so imo.

Guest bimpy474

Ashley built the team? I thought the fat f***er is useless...but hats off for his scouting skills then

:lol:

Well i'd say Roman built Chelsea, the Arabs built Man City...i wouldn't look into their chief scout and heap the praise. Ashley is the one who has put the money in for the majority of players we have now and is paying their wages. He's done excellent for the money he has spent to assemble such a team. There's just still many other factors to why he's still hated here and rightly so imo.

Ashley hasn't put the money in, selling players has paid for the squad we have now, not money from his pocket and he doesn't pay their wages you fucking mentalist, the Sky money does. And that's not to mention the massive transfer surplus we have built up since he's been here.

Are you actually for real, give your fucking head a shake.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Ashley is a f***ing disease on this club and he can choke on a cock as far as I'm concerned.

Seems the worm is turning for you.

Turned a long time ago regards Ashley, acquiescence towards Pardew is a different thing altogether...