Our Summer Transfer Business

Minhosa

I think that's Shayno there.

:pimp:

How many strikers do we bloody want (Cisse, Gouff, Riviere, De Jong, Perez, Armstrong)

We have a big enough squad (more than teams like Arsenal and Everton FFS)

Focus should be on getting rid of some of the s*** (Obertan, Jonas) and getting the younger lads some regular good football than signing ANOTHER striker.  :hmm:

:lol: Yeah, depend on an perennially out-of-form striker, a backup striker at best, an unknown quality, an attacking midfielder, and two youngsters to get enough goals.

Bigger squad than Arsenal and Everton ffs. Are you for real? Seems you can't differentiate between quality and quantity.

A proven striker is an absolute necessity atm. Then we can start clearing the unwanted players and send the likes of Armstrong on loan.

What qualifies as a "proven" striker?

Gouffran was not to far off being a 1 in 2 striker in Ligue 1 before Pardcunt started playing him as a box-to-box winger. SDJ's best position is as a second striker.

Transfermarkt has our first team consisting of 31 players (second highest in the league), Arsenal 26, Everton 22. This myth that is perpetuated on this forum about us having a razor thin squad due to Ashley not wanting to pay wages is absolute dogshit. Sure, the quality isn't great and Pardew has no idea how to rotate a squad and piss-poor man-management skills, but we don't need "bodies".

Someone who's able to get a goal in two or bring other teammates into play. None of our current options are. You're seriously mental if you think Gouffran will get that or risk Cisse discovering his early form or for De Jong to excel as the main man.

First team with 31 players? You have those youngsters who we'll do a great good sending them on loan and you have those who've never even played a single first team game for us. Add in those exiles who will never play another game for us btw. Nobody said we have a razor-thin squad but there are still obvious deficiencies, especially another striker addition. And yes, we still need bodies considering the lack of depth in some areas.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/newcastle-united/startseite/verein/762

Including the likes of Curtis Good, Jonas, Ferguson, Vuckic and exiles Marveaux, Hatem, Obertan as serious options that would contribute significantly to our season. Big squad, aye. :lol:

http://www.transfermarkt.com/jumplist/startseite/wettbewerb/GB1

Only Chelsea have a bigger squad. Great depth we've got there. :thup:

I think that's Shayno there.

:pimp:

How many strikers do we bloody want (Cisse, Gouff, Riviere, De Jong, Perez, Armstrong) Considering we will most likely only play with one.

We have a big enough squad (more than teams like Arsenal and Everton FFS)

Focus should be on getting rid of some of the s*** (Obertan, Jonas) and getting the younger lads some regular good football than signing ANOTHER striker.  :hmm:

Cisse can't be relied upon to get us goals at the moment, Gouff is a second left back, Riviere hasn't got a great record and is unproven in the prem, De Jong isn't a striker and Perez and Armstrong are kids.

So to answer your question, we want one proven premier league class striker.

Someone who's able to get a goal in two or bring other teammates into play. None of our current options are. You're seriously mental if you think Gouffran will get that or risk Cisse discovering his early form or for De Jong to excel as the main man.

First team with 31 players? You have those youngsters who we'll do a great good sending them on loan and you have those who've never even played a single first team game for us. Add in those exiles who will never play another game for us btw. Nobody said we have a razor-thin squad but there are still obvious deficiencies, especially another striker addition. And yes, we still need bodies considering the lack of depth in some areas.

I don't think it is mental to suggest that Gouffran may play more centrally this season (fingers crossed anyway) I also think De Jong will score and bring others into play if played as a second striker. Has done it for years at Ajax.

Sure, the number of 31 includes a few who probably won't get any first team football this season. That is consistent for other teams as well on that site (Arsenal number includes Miyaichi, Everton a player called Pennington)

In what position do we need a "body"?

I don't think it is mental to suggest that Gouffran may play more centrally this season (fingers crossed anyway) I also think De Jong will score and bring others into play if played as a second striker. Has done it for years at Ajax.

Sure, the number of 31 includes a few who probably won't get any first team football this season. That is consistent for other teams as well on that site (Arsenal number includes Miyaichi, Everton a player called Pennington)

We are still short in many areas. We have no competent back up right back. We lack an aerially dominant and physical centre back, we lack a right winger and a top class striker.

It is not mental to suggest Gouffran to play centrally but it is definitely mental to think we can depend on him as a main source of goals. De Jong is a second striker and considering his record at Ajax, I'd be happy if he contributes around 10 goals but he is not the main striker that we need.

You argue that we have a big squad, and now tell us those include squad fillers with probably no part in our season. Comparing us with an Arsenal squad brimming with quality. :lol: Do you know the actual meaning of squad depth?

A new striker at the bare minimum. We need a dominating physical CB, another player to lessen the sole creative burden on Cabella, maybe another winger since Sissoko is being played out of position. Do that (and we have the money to do so) and I'll be happy.

We are still short in many areas. We have no competent back up right back. We lack an aerially dominant and physical centre back, we lack a right winger and a top class striker.

Santon isn't a competent back up right back?

I agree we are pretty weak at CB, would have loved to have signed Caulker at the expense of Williamson and Saylor. That isn't a "body" though, that is an upgrade (one we need)

Of course we should be looking to upgrade our squad and plug those deficiencies man. If you are so fixated at "bodies", why do we even need to bring in those signings? Might as well sign Tavernier to a new contract, or depend on Vuckic instead of getting de Jong in. Maybe Ferguson could fill Cabella's role. Take out those signings and we'd still have the "big squad" that you desire.

It is not mental to suggest Gouffran to play centrally but it is definitely mental to think we can depend on him as a main source of goals. De Jong is a second striker and considering his record at Ajax, I'd be happy if he contributes around 10 goals but he is not the main striker that we need.

You argue that we have a big squad, and now tell us those include squad fillers with probably no part in our season. Comparing us with an Arsenal squad brimming with quality. :lol: Do you know the actual meaning of squad depth?

A new striker at the bare minimum. We need a dominating physical CB, another player to lessen the sole creative burden on Cabella, maybe another winger since Sissoko is being played out of position. Do that (and we have the money to do so) and I'll be happy.

I said nothing about the quality of players, just the number of first team players we have.

We have

2GK (Krul, Elliot)

4 CB's (Colo, MYM, Saylor and Willo)

4 WB's (Janmaat, Santon, Haidara, Dummett)

DCM/CM (Anita, Tiote, Sissoko, Abeid, Colback)

ACM (Marv,Cabella,SDJ)

Wingers (Gouff,HBA, Sameobi, Jonas)

Stikers (Cisse, Riviere)

Arsenal

Keeper (Szczesny)

CB (Mertesacker,Kosceilny, Vermaelen)

Wb (Debuchy, Jenkinson, Gibbs, Monreal)

DCM/CM (Diaby, Wilshere, Ramsay, Ateta, Flamini)

ACM (Rosicky, Ozil)

Wingers (Walcott, Podolski, Sanchez, Campbell, AXO)

Strikers (Giroud, Sanogo)

Pretty comparable in terms of first team size/depth.

Of course we should be looking to upgrade our squad and plug those deficiencies man. If you are so fixated at "bodies", why do we even need to bring in those signings? Might as well sign Tavernier to a new contract, or depend on Vuckic instead of getting de Jong in. Maybe Ferguson could fill Cabella's role. Take out those signings and we'd still have the "big squad" that you desire.

Of course I am fixated on bodies. As I said, I am responding to the argument that we don't have any depth/have a small squad.

So you're saying quality doesn't matter as long as the numbers are there?

Comparable squad depth ffs. :lol:

Of course I am fixated on bodies. As I said, I am responding to the argument that we don't have any depth/have a small squad.

All for not signing those players and giving the likes of Tavernier, Ferguson and Vuckic their regular football here then.

No :)

I am saying we have depth and can now focus on upgrading (Disposing of players that aren't good enough and bringing in replacements)

All for not signing those players and giving the likes of Tavernier, Ferguson and Vuckic their regular football here then.

I think Tavernier would have been fine as the "Competent back up right back" that Aussiemags says we need. Though we already have Santon.

I didn't list Ferguson or Vuckic in the squad comparison above. We have depth to the point where it is a negative factor on our younger players like Bigi and Abeid.

Aye, big squad, good depth and we don't need another striker. We're good. :lol:

Yep, willing to say we have a squad (though not a manager) that should finish in the top 8 (comfortably ahead of Stoke and the rest) and challenge sides like Everton, and Tottenham for a spot in the Europa League.

Some pretty mental patter going on here like. Shayno your squad comparison includes up to 7 players that might not be here by season start and certainly 3 that will never play for this club again under pardew.

Yeah I agree with a decent manager, upturn in player form/youth development and some big luck on the injury front, the current squad could push top 8. We aren't that far off but we are two injuries (siem/Remy) away from being just as woefully creative as last season. Except without any chance of marveaux/ben arfa coming in.

We need another deep lying creative mid, a winger, a cb and experienced striker to be fully stocked to compete IMO.

Along with Marv, Jonas, Hatem and Obertan, the future is up in the air for Sissoko, Abeid, ferguson and mapou. Then dummett, Ameobi, Campbell, vuckic, bigi and Armstrong have all been linked with loans.

We have a big squad in numbers but in premier league level quality no. That has all been mentioned above though.

As far as I know Haidara and Abeid don't need to be registered.  Also, including Jonas, Marv, HBA and other players we have no intention of fielding just skews the numbers.

Even apart from that comparing our CBs to theirs purely on numbers is absurd.  2 of ours are not good enough, another is (arguably) in decline and the only really decent option we have is getting peddled.

Some pretty mental patter going on here like. Shayno your squad comparison includes up to 7 players that might not be here by season start and certainly 3 that will never play for this club again under pardew.

Yeah I agree with a decent manager, upturn in player form/youth development and some big luck on the injury front, the current squad could push top 8. We aren't that far off but we are two injuries (siem/Remy) away from being just as woefully creative as last season. Except without any chance of marveaux/ben arfa coming in.

We need another deep lying creative mid, a winger, a cb and experienced striker to be fully stocked to compete IMO.

Along with Marv, Jonas, Hatem and Obertan, the future is up in the air for Sissoko, Abeid, ferguson and mapou. Then dummett, Ameobi, Campbell, vuckic, bigi and Armstrong have all been linked with loans.

We have a big squad in numbers but in premier league level quality no. That has all been mentioned above though.

There are some assumptions there (1: That these players wont play under Pardew and 2. that they wouldn't be replaced).

I am half taking the piss with the Arsenal comparison to be fair  O0

As far as I know Haidara and Abeid don't need to be registered.  Also, including Jonas, Marv, HBA and other players we have no intention of fielding just skews the numbers.

Even apart from that comparing our CBs to theirs purely on numbers is absurd.  2 of ours are not good enough, another is (arguably) in decline and the only really decent option we have is getting peddled.

I agree re CB's, I don't think any of our CB's have shown anything close to European competition quality (which I think we should have in all our starting players) for the last 2 years.

You have to consider them though. Realistically Premier League clubs have 4 senior centre backs in numbers. Until one goes, another won't come in.

Headbutts,dire records and freezing entire groups of players out. It's really chronic like. How has he been jettisoned? Target 10th reached and all that but Ashley must know by now what he's about. I know he cares little but this season has to be a big Damocles sword surely?