30 years since the Heysel disaster

Big Geordie

30 years to the day since this terrible event, I believe. And often it's one that seems to get forgotten about or airbrushed in the minds of some, from a certain football club. I remember watching on TV as a 12 year old and it was hard to comprehend, even at that age. 39 people went to a game and never came home.

Here's a link from True Faith which is very well written and has some good links for further reading;

http://www.true-faith.co.uk/true-faith-heysel-tragedy-30-years-anniversary/

Guest firetotheworks

He's saying that he'll talk about it though, just that he wants to be paid. :lol: Utter twat bag.

What the fuck's Phil Neal's problem?

Apparently some players refused to talk about it for years. Him being a local, I guess he has his reasons. Still a cunt though.

Apparently those quotes from Phil Neal are 10 years old? Didn't think he was local either, think he's from Northampton.

Still wrong mind, unbelievably so.

All he had to say was that he didn't want to talk about.

What the fuck's Phil Neal's problem?

Apparently some players refused to talk about it for years. Him being a local, I guess he has his reasons. Still a cunt though.

Apparently those quotes from Phil Neal are 10 years old? Didn't think he was local either, think he's from Northampton.

Still wrong mind, unbelievably so.

All he had to say was that he didn't want to talk about.

Stand corrected on where he is from originally.

Guest firetotheworks

Canny mad that people still come out with the 'it's never their fault' stuff after it was categorically proven that the main thing that was ever brought up was absolutely not their fault and they were nationally smeared by the government, the police and the media like.

Not to mention that Phil Neal is neither a Scouser nor saying anything to do with it not being their fault. :lol: Talk about shoehorning in an opinion.

Read a pretty harrowing article on this in GQ the other week (I was in the barbers, like I'm sophisticated enough to buy anything other than Nuts and Zoo).

As if the game went ahead?!  Seemed like plenty of people were at fault, with lots of different factors involved.  But I think the silence from the city, LFC and their fans over the years is deafening.  I’ve even tried to debate it with a couple of ‘actual’ scousers down here and they just brush it off.  “Yeah well, it was revenge for what some Italian fans did to us over there and they started the fighting anyway….”  Yeah, that excuses it then does it?  Fans from a different club beat some of yours up, so you attacked men, women and children in the neutral section. 

I know it was a different time and hooliganism was rife.  But it’s still abhorrent and disgusting behaviour from their so called ‘fans’. 

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/comment/articles/2015-05/29/heysel-stadium-disaster-30-anniversary

Guest GallowgateKev

To be fair, they were to blame.

Cant remember the article I read or who it was by but it was a scouse Journo basically saying it was Liverpool's fans fault. Basically they were at it all day...

Cant remember the article I read or who it was by but it was a scouse Journo basically saying it was Liverpool's fans fault. Basically they were at it all day...

Assuming KI was referring to Hillsborough?  In which case he is spot on.  Pretty misinformed if he is on about Heysel, no?

Guest firetotheworks

To blame for what now? Hillsborough?

Please tell me that you're not being serious...

Guest GallowgateKev

Sorry I miss-understood your post, thought you meant Heysel mate

ANYONE pointing fingers for Hillsborough is an idiot.

Guest firetotheworks

Ahh okay. :thup: Sorry. Aye, there were circumstances that lead to Heysel, but it was undoubtedly the fans that were part of its faul.

Phil Neal is a cunt... On Sunday I had an argument way a so called Liverpool fan at a bar I was drinking in... Was in high spirits  after the game and I was having a good piss up... till some prick came over ranting and raving about newcastle calling them a small club only get 50 thousand cus there a one city club etc, all the usual shite... So I reacted and  called Liverpool fans a bunch of murdering bastards, he was horrified thinking I was talking about hillsborough saying "that was the fault of the South Yorkshire police"... I had to tell him that I wasn't talking about the hillsborough disaster I was talking about the heysel disaster were 39 innocent juve fans where murdered due to thuggish Liverpool louts in the 1985 European cup final... He hadn't a clue what I was talking about and his excuse being "that happened 2 years before I was born"....

I remember vividly the game on TV. In terms of who was to blame for the deaths, clearly that resides with the Liverpool fans who pushed against a wall that was not in an acceptable state to host a football game. What always seems to be forgotten though, although the hooligan element was high within the Liverpool fans and I'm not giving them a free pass at all here. The Juventus fans too had a huge hooligan following, the pictures on TV showed masked Juventus fans, invading the perimeter throwing objects,they had pre-done a bunch of banner describing Liverpool fans in derogatory ways.

In other words there was hooliganism elements on both sides,Liverpool and Juventus, Liverpool fans however murdered their counterparts and that's rightly what is remembered. But I do cringe a little when people paint all Juventus fans as some kind of angels, they weren't, although the ones who died in the tradegy were firmly victims of these elements that were prevalent at the time, and no blame should ever be attached to them. The hooligan element in the Juventus following seemed to be located at the other end of the stadium.