England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

Guest Howaythetoon

Shearer was nowhere near 10 times better than Rooney like, never ever. Individually as a talent Rooney was the better footballer, for a period anyway, until Fergie basically Pardewed him. Shearer was the better all-rounder though. Its mainly mentally with the very top players and Shearer always had immense mental strength.

Guest Howaythetoon

People just hate Rooney, not as good as he was but should still be in the squad.

I don't see any possible reason to have him in there.

Form? Nope!

Experience? He has played a a major role in major tournament disappointment so again nope!

Sentiment? If we were as good at footy as we are at sentiment we would win the lot. Nope!

I hope he is injured because Hodgson doesn't have the balls to leave him out. Taking him even as a squad player could have a negative effect as the media will clamour for his inclusion and I imagine Rooney himself wouldn't take kindly to sitting on the bench. Plus he's the captain!

Guest Phillipealbert

Shearer was nowhere near 10 times better than Rooney like, never ever. Individually as a talent Rooney was the better footballer, for a period anyway, until Fergie basically Pardewed him. Shearer was the better all-rounder though. Its mainly mentally with the very top players and Shearer always had immense mental strength.

Fair enough, I was being slightly facetious with the '10 times' comment  O0.  But the fact stands that Shearer was the better player by a margin. (stats back this up).

Guest Howaythetoon

Shearer man, he was underrated in many ways. Kane is the real deal for example, but Shearer was a level or two above.

They both have a single standout tournament as England players, it's that simple. Shearer was obviously the superior goalscorer but to say he was 10 times better than Rooney - at domestic or international level - is utter f***ing nonsense and typical of the stuff that has our fans a national laughing stock.

[emoji38] Give over, man.  When was the last time someone said "Those Geordies are morons - they wouldn't even play Rooney over Kane and Vardy!"

Well that's not what he said man

Waste of time, mate. And I thought Stifler was slow.

Not sure why the conversation moved to Vardy or Kane - which ought to be a purely academic issue - they should both start ahead of Rooney up front. If Rooney starts it should be in midfield but he doesn't deserve to based on merit.

Guest Phillipealbert

They both have a single standout tournament as England players, it's that simple. Shearer was obviously the superior goalscorer but to say he was 10 times better than Rooney - at domestic or international level - is utter f***ing nonsense and typical of the stuff that has our fans a national laughing stock.

[emoji38] Give over, man.  When was the last time someone said "Those Geordies are morons - they wouldn't even play Rooney over Kane and Vardy!"

Well that's not what he said man

Waste of time, mate. And I thought Stifler was slow.

Don't be like that, mate.

Guest firetotheworks

Rooney has really only had one good tournament, though. I'm not sure why that's being debated. Every other tournament he's been average at best. In 2010 he was possibly the worst player in the entire tournament, he was absolutely rotten. Shearer had a brilliant Euro '96 and I can't remember him playing poorly in '98 or 2000 either.

There's been a great deal of pressure on Rooney's shoulders for years now. Imo he's never been one to perform under the pressure in the same vein as the really great players - Shearer and Messi, perhaps even Beckham to name but three - that's why he runs around all over the place thinking he has to do everything. Good players like him should have been encouraged to let others do the work for him.

Someone said Rooney has no leadership qualities in this thread which is laughable like, and the constant underrating of him as a player even at domestic level is a joke as well. He already has the same amount of goals this season as he did in the last. However, he probably shouldn't start for England in the Euros, at least in the first game. I think he will though. Kane is the best striker England have so will 100% start, but I think it'll be Rooney alongside him with Vardy as an impact sub. Rooney is still a very good player, but he needs to step up and do it again at international level. It has been too long.

If it was me I'd drop Lallana and play Rooney on the left like. I'd feel like a criminal not starting Vardy or Alli. Lallana is bang average.

Guest firetotheworks

He hasn't done it at tournaments at international level for 12 years though. He's been a mint player, but sometimes players just aren't the same at international level, in both ways, sometimes average players do consistently well and good players do consistently badly.

Someone said Rooney has no leadership qualities in this thread which is laughable like, and the constant underrating of him as a player even at domestic level is a joke as well. He already has the same amount of goals this season as he did in the last. However, he probably shouldn't start for England in the Euros, at least in the first game. I think he will though. Kane is the best striker England have so will 100% start, but I think it'll be Rooney alongside him with Vardy as an impact sub. Rooney is still a very good player, but he needs to step up and do it again at international level. It has been too long.

If it was me I'd drop Lallana and play Rooney on the left like. I'd feel like a criminal not starting Vardy or Alli. Lallana is bang average.

Agree that Lallana is not great, but I'm not sure there's any point playing Rooney on the left. Smacks of accommodating him for no real reason.

Agree that Lallana is not great, but I'm not sure there's any point playing Rooney on the left. Smacks of accommodating him for no real reason.

I thought Lallana had a good game against Germany especially early on.