Howard Kendall - RIP

Mick

I stand corrected :p :thup:

I'm such a fucking pedant.:lol: I am sad about Howard, he might have liked a bev, but he was a good player and a great manager. When I were a nipper I was forced into choosing between Everton and WBA (68 Cup Final) and assumed that was for life. Naturally my team lost, but Ball, Harvey and Kendall was a lush midfield, with Royle up front and Husband and Morrissey on the wings...title just around the corner.

That lasted a couple of years, then I realised I lived in Newcastle and the whole thing turned to shit. :lol:

I was going to flip there, but of course West Ham beat MU in the semi. I can only say it should have been "if" rather than "when". Grrrrrr. Be wronger next time.

I never knew that they were both born on the same day. That is QI.

Great manager. The Everton team of the 1980s was fantastic. A real shame they didn't get to play in Europe. Part of Liverpool's strength today is from establishing a global brand, and that's something Everton were denied the chance to do. Everton were the big losers from that ban.

Like Cloughie, I think it's best to remember Kendall before the drink got to him.

He did a superb job at Everton Football Club in the mid 80's. To win what they did, and probably would have won the European Cup in 85-86 were it not for Heysel, was an amazing feat. Despite having two big centre forwards, Sharp and Gray, they played a stylish brand of football, from back to front. He reinvigorated a previously thought shot Peter Reid, and managed to involve a Liverpool reject in Kevin Sheedy to great effect. With little imp Adrian Heath buzzing behind the two big guys, they were a massive handful for any defence.

At the back you had the captain, the pacey but under rated centre half Kevin Ratcliffe, and Derek Mountfield, who also managed a significant amount of goals from the set piece. These were flanked by Gary Stevens and madman Pat Van den Hauwe and supported by one of the best keepers I've seen in Neville Southall.

After he left Everton to Colin Harvey, neither party were quite the same again. Harvey did manage to win the league in 86-87 but their style changed somewhat and weren't playing the attractive football Howard Kendall had them playing.

I also vaguely remember him as an industrious midfielder with Birmingham City. RIP.

Incognito - you've forgotten to mention that excellent Trevor Steven. Would have loved to have seen him in a black and white shirt at the peak of his powers.

I did  :embarrassed:, him and Gary Stevens down the right rampaging, and the quality of his crossing. He wasn't a winger per se, more in the Milner style, but better at it.