Matt Ritchie: Released (Official)

Fenham Mag

Guest Howaythetoon

Think he needs a break from the side. He's either been directly responsible for, or contributed to, us conceding five goals in the last week. He's only contributing set-penises at the mo, the rest of his general play is poor. He's not the only one, but he's standing out for the wrong reasons

He has assisted in us scoring 5 goals this season, but is responsible for us conceding just as many. Ironically his 5 assists seem to have all come from the right or when he’s been played on the right which for me is his best position. If he is to play, he needs moved from the left.

Keeping him in the side because he takes good set pieces is like arguing Shola should have always played because he took good penalties. You have to weigh up different things. Are we over reliant on set pieces for our goals? If we don’t get enough corners or free kicks does that mean we will be less likely to score? At what point do we say his inclusion in the team is to the detriment of the team? And would we score less from set pieces if he wasnt on the pitch? It’s too easy to say well he has to play because he takes a good corner or a free kick. Bring back Ryan f***ing Taylor and Shola...

Well, it's not. Teams get corners and free kicks every single match pretty much, that certainly isn't the case with penalties.

Our team isn't simply good enough to take away our set piece threat.

Guest Howaythetoon

Keeping him in the side because he takes good set pieces is like arguing Shola should have always played because he took good penalties.

It's not though is it. Teams generally get corners and free kicks in every single match, and can go months without getting a penalty.

The basic argument is that he is vital to the team because of his set piece play, I’m arguing that doesn’t justify playing him all the time on the off chance that he does something on a set piece... just why Shola shouldn’t have played all the time on the off chance we get a penalty and he puts it away.

Anyway we are going around in circles here...

Keeping him in the side because he takes good set pieces is like arguing Shola should have always played because he took good penalties.

It's not though is it. Teams generally get corners and free kicks in every single match, and can go months without getting a penalty.

The basic argument is that he is vital to the team because of his set piece play, I’m arguing that doesn’t justify playing him all the time on the off chance that he does something on a set piece... just why Shola shouldn’t have played all the time on the off chance we get a penalty and he puts it away.

But we had alternatives to Shola for the majority of his time here and we don't really have any alternatives to Ritchie right now - perhaps that changes when Atsu returns. And you just can't compare the likelihood of getting something out of a corner with a penalty. It's nonsense.

Guest Howaythetoon

Keeping him in the side because he takes good set pieces is like arguing Shola should have always played because he took good penalties. You have to weigh up different things. Are we over reliant on set pieces for our goals? If we don’t get enough corners or free kicks does that mean we will be less likely to score? At what point do we say his inclusion in the team is to the detriment of the team? And would we score less from set pieces if he wasnt on the pitch? It’s too easy to say well he has to play because he takes a good corner or a free kick. Bring back Ryan f***ing Taylor and Shola...

Well, it's not. Teams get corners and free kicks every single match pretty much, that certainly isn't the case with penalties.

Our team isn't simply good enough to take away our set piece threat.

He’s our only threat from a dead ball because he takes the majority, give someone else a chance. Shelvey and Merino are more than capable for example. For the 5 goals he has helped create, he’s also played a huge part in conceding just as many. Anyway I regard him as nothing more than a clogger when he’s not taking set pieces. I’d rather see someone take his place who offers us more of a threat in open play because I worry we will become a team that only causes a threat from set pieces. And if he is to play, switch him back to the right where most of his assists have come from or where he has contributed starting on the right.

Guest Howaythetoon

But we had alternatives to Shola for the majority of his time here and we don't really have any alternatives to Ritchie right now - perhaps that changes when Atsu returns. And you just can't compare the likelihood of getting something out of a corner with a penalty. It's nonsense.

Shola what was he good at? Taking penalties. Ritchie what is he good at? Taking set pieces. Both are shit at everything else or not good enough. I should have used Ryan Taylor as an example...

Guest firetotheworks

The 'off chance'? He's comfortably our most consistent assister because he's good at it. The comparison with Shola and penalties you've made is absolutely crazy, they're nothing alike.

Guest Howaythetoon

The 'off chance'? He's comfortably our most consistent assister because he's good at it. The comparison with Shola and penalties you've made is absolutely crazy, they're nothing alike.

He is good at it, but then he does take the majority of set pieces. His set piece play doesn’t make him undropbable though given we have others who are capable, not when he has contributed to just as many goals being conceded as well.

Yesterday was one of the most pathetic displays I’ve seen from one of our players in a long time, he was constantly done by simple balls in between and was twisted inside out by anyone that ran at him. He failed to block crosses and on the ball he rarely looked to play it forward. I say pathetic because he was a major factor in allowing Chelsea to score and cause us problems and just as much because he constantly blamed anothers’ if say someone misplaced a pass.

I’d like to see him dropped, give others a chance at set play. Let’s start being more of a threat in open play which Ritchie simply doesn’t offer with his inability to beat a man and his annoying self checking to slow the game down before playing the ball back. These days he hardly gets into the final 3rd even.

Just stick Jonjo on set pieces. I'm pretty sure Ritchie only ever takes half of them when Shelvey plays anyway.

And yet he doesn't have an assist to his name this season.

It's weird he didn't get one for that Joselu goal

If Joselu could finished maybe he would have but Matip kicked it off him.

Guest firetotheworks

He is good at it, but then he does take the majority of set pieces. His set piece play doesn’t make him undropbable though given we have others who are capable, not when he has contributed to just as many goals being conceded as well.

Yesterday was one of the most pathetic displays I’ve seen from one of our players in a long time, he was constantly done by simple balls in between and was twisted inside out by anyone that ran at him. He failed to block crosses and on the ball he rarely looked to play it forward. I say pathetic because he was a major factor in allowing Chelsea to score and cause us problems and just as much because he constantly blamed anothers’ if say someone misplaced a pass.

I’d like to see him dropped, give others a chance at set play. Let’s start being more of a threat in open play which Ritchie simply doesn’t offer with his inability to beat a man and his annoying self checking to slow the game down before playing the ball back. These days he hardly gets into the final 3rd even.

Disagree with most of that.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

If we're going back to 4-3-2-1 next week I'd be tempted to drop him for Aaron's.

I agree he's a threat from dead balls, however he's been responsible for us conceding the same number of goals in the last week as he's assisted all season.

Time for a break for me

If we're going back to 4-3-2-1 next week I'd be tempted to drop him for Aaron's.

I agree he's a threat from dead balls, however he's been responsible for us conceding the same number of goals in the last week as he's assisted all season.

Time for a break for me

Back to a formation we haven't played once this season?

I stopped reading at "mediocre set piece assists". Without them we'd be bottom of the league.

When I say "mediocre" I'm going by the dictionary definition of distinctly average. And I view his set pieces as average because I'm judging by what I see when it comes to technical execution of e.g. corners - I think he floats it more than he whips it, at a higher trajectory that makes it harder to score and easier to defend. Better set piece takers can whip the into an area at a trajectory/pace that causes far more problems.

You must be blind or partially sighted. We're probably the best we've been for 15 years + at attacking set pieces and a lot of that is down to the delivery from Ritchie. So far this season it is his one redeeming feature.

No need to be a cunt if you can't understand simple arguments and also fail to actually bring up any relevant points already not covered.

I stopped reading at "mediocre set piece assists". Without them we'd be bottom of the league.

When I say "mediocre" I'm going by the dictionary definition of distinctly average. And I view his set pieces as average because I'm judging by what I see when it comes to technical execution of e.g. corners - I think he floats it more than he whips it, at a higher trajectory that makes it harder to score and easier to defend. Better set piece takers can whip the into an area at a trajectory/pace that causes far more problems.

You must be blind or partially sighted. We're probably the best we've been for 15 years + at attacking set pieces and a lot of that is down to the delivery from Ritchie. So far this season it is his one redeeming feature.

No need to be a c*** if you can't understand simple arguments and also fail to actually bring up any relevant points already not covered.

He can't help himself unfortunately. Shame as I've met him before when I helped him out for tickets for Blackpool away a few years ago and he was very pleasant face to face but sometimes people act differently when sat behind a computer screen.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Time for a break for me

Back to a formation we haven't played once this season?

Eeeeee, got me 3s and 2s in the wrong order

We're not a good enough team from open play to risk losing his set piece delivery. He's not hopeless, like Rory Delap was when not taking long throws, but is in poor form. I would have had him down to chip in with five or six goals this season, so he's definitely underperforming there. Yedlin's been struggling too, so that won't have helped either.