Do NUFC Need To Change Away Ticket Criteria?

Crumpy Gunt

It’s perfectly fine how it is, no need to change.

This is coming from me who had 106 points at the age of 22 when I cancelled my season ticket due to moving down Hampshire. Whenever I move closer to SJP I will be starting again from scratch but that’s just the way it is.

Those figures are slightly skewed though, Arsenal away did not start on 5 points, it might have finished there but how many tickets were available at this amount? Everton only went to general because of the last minute TV change.

I know a handful of people that go to away games all the time who aren't even ST holders but they know people with 100+ points. If there's a game they fancy, they can call them nearly 100% of the time they'll get a ticket.

I unfortunately am not so lucky with my friends..

As someone who's wasted £30 on membership a few times now to make some matches, I think the system is fine apart from charging to be a member.

I can't think of a fairer way personally than the current loyalty points system for season ticket holders. The problem begins with the membership angle, which has always smacked of the club sniffing an opportunity to make more money with 'fans safety' as their excuse.

It’s perfectly fine like. Go to away games, build points and get access to the more lucrative fixtures, simple.

Those who buy STs should be rewarded with early access and those who attend away games more frequently deserve even earlier access - it all makes sense.

I have sympathy with those who cant have a ST due to work, financial, location, family or whatever reasons - but if you dont attend games why should you be prioritised ahead of those who do?

The only addition to the current system I’d recommend would be 50 or so tickets held back for each away game where fans without STs/memberships/the points required can apply for them and just randomly allocate them.

Those figures are slightly skewed though, Arsenal away did not start on 5 points, it might have finished there but how many tickets were available at this amount? Everton only went to general because of the last minute TV change.

I know a handful of people that go to away games all the time who aren't even ST holders but they know people with 100+ points. If there's a game they fancy, they can call them nearly 100% of the time they'll get a ticket.

I unfortunately am not so lucky with my friends..

I wouldn't say they're skewed, they're just being used as an indicative measure of which games you could have attended with X number of points. In the Arsenal example , yes there probably weren't many tickets left when it got down to 5 points, but as if you had say 10, you would have got one. Essentially it's showing you didn't need many points to get an Arsenal ticket, but you needed loads for a Bournemouth one.

Point taken about non-ST holders that can get a ticket through people they know, unfortunately no system is going to prevent that, other than an England-type one where you have to have ID to pick-up your ticket, and I suspect that would be a logistical nightmare to implement.

Even if they just reduce the amount of time given to people with massive amounts of points. Presently games can be up for a couple weeks before they get reduced to lower points which gives time for non-ST holders to ring people up with 100+ points and get them a ticket.

I know I'm basically whinging cos I don't have these contacts with loads of points (!) but say if it reduced quickly down to 0 points, e.g. drops 20 points per day, it would give people like me (ST holder 3 years, 5 points) a better chance of going to games I really want to go to, whilst still giving the 'most loyal' members first dibs.

Do you keep loyalty points even if you don't keep going to games? If not, they could go into a hypothetical pot and rewarded to fans next in line.

I think your points are based on the previous 10 years. One shit thing is if you have to give up your season ticket for a bit, like me, you lose them all. I'd hoped I could transfer to member status and keep my points, but couldn't. We transferred my season ticket to a friend, and he now has my points.

I had over 100 points when I gave up my ST, now on zero.

Even if they just reduce the amount of time given to people with massive amounts of points. Presently games can be up for a couple weeks before they get reduced to lower points which gives time for non-ST holders to ring people up with 100+ points and get them a ticket.

I know I'm basically whinging cos I don't have these contacts with loads of points (!) but say if it reduced quickly down to 0 points, e.g. drops 20 points per day, it would give people like me (ST holder 3 years, 5 points) a better chance of going to games I really want to go to, whilst still giving the 'most loyal' members first dibs.

Some clubs work on a set basis, ie:

Tues 1 May @ 10:00 - 100 points

Tues 1 May @ 14:00 - 90 points

Wed 2 May @ 10:00 - 80 points

Wed 2 May @ 14:00 - 70 points

etc. etc.

They release the dates for all of the point drop thresholds, including member and general sale and it’ll either get that far or it wont. Allows people to plan ahead too, rather than waking up randomly to see it’s dropped to 0 points.

etc. etc.

They release the dates for all of the point drop thresholds, including member and general sale and it’ll either get that far or it wont. Allows people to plan ahead too, rather than waking up randomly to see it’s dropped to 0 points.

This sounds good. Again, only a member's POV but it's bloody tedious checking daily for two or three weeks just for it to never reach members.

etc. etc.

That's a good idea. Also, it really doesn't need to be on for a week or two before the points required drops. I'm on over 130 pts and have got to know a lot of others who go regularly. Most either go to them all and religiously buy as soon as they go on sale or have planned in advance which ones they're going to and buy as soon as they're on sale. Dropping the requirement just a couple of weeks or less before the match just creates other problems for those on less points in that trains, hotels etc are likely to be more expensive, it's harder to get time off work at short notice etc which isn't really fair.

If you can't get organised to buy a ticket in the first 2 or 3 days (given it's generally advertised another day or two in ahead of sale), you don't really deserve another week headstart on someone else even if you do have more loyalty points than them (sorry Greg!)

Apart from that the loyalty system is fine the way it is. If we ever got to the point where there were no games going to 0 points then I'd look to make some changes (maybe 10% of our allocation distributed via ballot as opposed to loyalty pts.) The reason is I'd be concerned about the younger generation of fans getting discouraged which would be bad for the long term future of NUFC as a club.

It’s not that hard to get tickets to watch NUFC away...

According to the article, no. Guessing you have to be really quick/organised to get a members ticket for a lot of away games though.  I’ve been to three this season, didn’t manage to get a ticket the seemingly easy way for any. Two in the home end and one buying someone else’s spare ticket in our end.

Was the same with me , had about 130+ points then had to give it up.

It’s perfectly fine how it is, no need to change.

This is coming from me who had 106 points at the age of 22 when I cancelled my season ticket due to moving down Hampshire. Whenever I move closer to SJP I will be starting again from scratch but that’s just the way it is.

Based on that article, if we were in the CL final that Liverpool are - every ST holder with 25+ points would be guaranteed a ticket and the remaining tickets would go to fans with 0-24.

Every ST holder with 1+ point would be guaranteed a ticket to a domestic cup final at Wembley too.

A lot better than I’d have expected, to be honest.