Stoke City 0-1 Newcastle United- 01/01/18 - Post-match reaction from page 29

Greg

I liked our line up when I saw it. The front four all have pace and movement and it showed in our performance. If we could add a finisher in there then we could be into something.

Joselu being on the pitch gives our players an excuse to lump it forward and take no responsibility with the ball.

Perhaps more controversially, the way we use Shelvey annoys me a little. Yesterday, for example, I was sat in the first row, level with halfway (opp dugouts) and there were a number of occasions when instead of continuing forward momentum, stretching Stoke, our player slowed down (Yedlin on a couple of occasions springs to mind and Murphy, I think, another time) laid the ball off to Shelvey to launch a long pass, and jogged forward into space. I am sure it can be an effective tactic, and Shelvey’s passing is a great asset, but it was all a bit formulaic and gives the opposition time to get back into position.

I really did think we were outstanding yesterday. Aye it's only Stoke who are very poor, but we bossed them on their own turf for 80+ minutes and if we had a clinical striker, we could've been looking at a 0-3 or 0-4 win. Seems as if Lascelles' rallying cry post-Everton has worked. Decent performances since then.

I really did think we were outstanding yesterday. Aye it's only Stoke who are very poor, but we bossed them on their own turf for 80+ minutes and if we had a clinical striker, we could've been looking at a 0-3 or 0-4 win. Seems as if Lascelles' rallying cry post-Everton has worked. Decent performances since then.

Agree... We were ecstatic when we beat them at our place so let's not forget we are just up from the Championship so the double completed over two established PL teams recently shouldn't be underestimated . And in those two games Rafa demonstrated what he could achieve given the right backing . Our attack looked full of purpose .

Important 3 points but let it not gloss over that most of the players on the pitch for us were or have consistently been s*** all season.

Darlow - makes he odd good save but punches when he should catch and is terrible coming to catch the ball.

Yedlin - one of the few bright sparks. Pace with a bit of cop on is a dangerous thing in this league. Still gets caught offside too often.

Lascelles - our most important current squad player. Someone to build a team around.

Clarke - inconsistent, poor judgement sometimes. CB is a position we need to strengthen.

Manquillo - his yellow card was a well timed one. Otherwise offered nothing all game and gave several corners away.

Murphy - gaining more confidence, had a great second half with an assist. One of the ones who would really benefit from a solid midfield and forwards who have movement.

Shelvey - fapped about, few passes up the flanks, no impact at all over probably the worst and slowest midfield in the whole league (apart from us)

Diame - looked a bit more up for it recently but that can’t cover over how poor he’s been.

Ritchie - looks knackered. Ineffective. Squad player for when we invest though.

Atsu - should have scored but also looks tired and should really be playing out wide and not in the middle.. he’s one of the shortest players in the league.. expecting him to be winning headers is retarded.

Perez - brighter today but again over a whole season has been poor. Again though, a player who will look better with better players around him.

Gayle (apart from getting pushed over, anonymous) Dummett (half fit but still better than Manquillo)

Awful post like. A tiny sprinkle of common sense over a large bowl of bollocks.

1458526770920.gif

Just remembered Shaqiri trying to give Yedlin the death stare after a perfectly normal sliding challenge, the little freak  :lol:

He's a massive cunt, probably still thinks he's world class despite playing for Stoke fucking City.

Watched the game late but really enjoyed our performance. Wouldn't mind seeing that formation again, it was a lot more dynamic and everyone bar Ritchie and maybe Shelvey had a decent game. Perez deserves more time in that role, best game he's had in ages.

Thought Shelvey was actually really good, best game in a while for us,did the simple things well, which is something he hasn't been doing of late.

Shaqiri is an odd little man, looked totally disinterested yesterday, just before he got take off he irked the crowd by not chasing down a ball that hadn't fallen directly to his feet. The incident with Yedlin was insane, he was doing his nut at the ref and Yedlin for what was a perfectly timed challenge. Certainly no where near the player that played so well at SJP early season, maybe the biggest indication of Hughes losing the trust of his players. Apparently they've got the oldest squad in the PL too, that's not good.