Good old days and the loss of it.

Guest Deep456
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

65% go for appointment of Souness and sacking of Robson, which are kind of the same thing, and I would agree that this was the point at which the club turned backwards.

That in turn led to the departure of our most effective player and bad buys and the downward spiral was in motion.

However shouldn't the real blame for that rest with the people who essentially orchestrared the above two things, i.e. Shearer and Shepherd.

It's so ironic that one of the reasons spouted for this season's terrible start was that the club had failed to adequately replace Shearer.

But didn't Roson go because he DID try to replace Shearer, but the man himself and the chairman were having none of it !

Dead right. I didn't want to say it because I've made the point before. We handled the whole question of Shearer's retirement and replacement in an incredibly unprofessional manner, and Robson was the chief casualty.

A lot of "savvy" NUFC supporters think that, but it has never really been mentioned too much.

The (puppet) press have conveniently avoided it, even Farrington in the Sunday Sun, who is normally quite brave and tells it as it is. Probably saw what happened to Robson and thought it best to keep quiet.

Like talking about Putin in Russia, maybe you just can't raise some issues about NUFC unless you want to end up eating some dodgy sushi ?

Some of you lot have short memories!

I remember at the time of Robson's sacking on here it was just me and Dan who were supporting him, everyone else wanted him gone!

Not me mate. He'd have been at NUFC (in some capacity) for the rest of his life as far as I'm concerned.

Some of you lot have short memories!

I remember at the time of Robson's sacking on here it was just me and Dan who were supporting him, everyone else wanted him gone!

I wanted him gone 18 months earlier, tbh. After we finished 3rd. I wanted Shearer out then as well.

Guest gazzasboots

I also remember the days of 70s/80s and the likes of mckeag appearing on national tv thanking some national body for a £250k cheque for help in building a new stand.Newcastle were very much a " get by" club then.

In relation to to the great man Robson I seem to remember that it was the problems caused by Bellamy, and Dyer refusing to play on the right wing that started the rot, that led to Robson losing the dressing room and caused Freddy to sack Robson instead of backing his manager.As much as i like Dyer and infrequent dispays on the pitch his actions were a cause.

I also remember the days of 70s/80s and the likes of mckeag appearing on national tv thanking some national body for a £250k cheque for help in building a new stand.Newcastle were very much a " get by" club then.

In relation to to the great man Robson I seem to remember that it was the problems caused by Bellamy, and Dyer refusing to play on the right wing that started the rot, that led to Robson losing the dressing room and caused Freddy to sack Robson instead of backing his manager.As much as i like Dyer and infrequent dispays on the pitch his actions were a cause.

go and play over there

http://www.nufc.pl/galeria/albums/userpics/10001/dyer_robson.jpg

I went for Keegan leaving because we've never reached those heights since, in reality our current problems stem from the sacking of Sir Bobby, it was a shocking decision both in the timing and the way it was carried out.

If anything, he should have been moved upstairs and his knowledge of the game should have been used to our advantage, he should have helped find his successor, I can't think of anybody more qualified to carry out that role.  Sir Bobby was probably the first to spot the bloke managing Chelsea and tried to bring him here as his number 2 and future replacement, Shepherd thought that the replacement should be Souness.

blueconfused.gif

I don't know if Dalglish would have done well but he was hardly given any time in his second full season. Gullit has got to be the worst appointment ever

Bollocks.

We went from 2nd to near relegation in one season under Dalglish. We stayed in the same position under Gullit.

I don't know if Dalglish would have done well but he was hardly given any time in his second full season. Gullit has got to be the worst appointment ever

Bollocks.

We went from 2nd to near relegation in one season under Dalglish. We stayed in the same position under Gullit.

I couldn't stand Dalglish but was all of our slide under him actually down to him?

I'm not sure if it was his idea that we should sell Sir Les, he said at the time that he knew nothing about the sale although he could have been talking crap to keep the fans off his back.

The slide under Dalglish was massive and the culling of Keegans team was crazy, we just don't know who decided that this should be done, was it to get some cash to pay for Shearer?

I actually thought both Dalglish & Gullit were unlucky. Dalglish came in at the worst time possible, and people go on about "what could have been" had we got Robson, but I think he'd have struggled too in the circumstances (just became a plc, the likes of Ferdinand, Ginola, Beardsley coming to an end), and as mentioned, he made some excellent signings which helped Robson a lot (Given, Speed, Griffin, Solano, Dabizas). As for Gullit, he at least tried to address the defensive situation. Domi was a very good player, as too were Dumas & Goma.