Stand Up

Nobby

I used to have a season ticket in the lower tiers of the Milburn stand when we were shite under Jim Smith, Ardiles and Co - have to say I much preferred the craic and banter with other fans around when we stood AND you felt (and probably were) much closer to the action.

I remember watching one match with an ageing Kevin Sheedy playing left wing, constantly getting beaten to the ball by their right back. Some fella next to me was harranging Sheedy from the first whistle of the second half right to the end of the game and, with about 3 minutes to go, Sheedy 'offered' him out. 'I'll feckin see ye outside yer fecking langer' - the Geordie didn't know where to put himself. Funny as owt.

You don't get that interaction with the players anymore. Although, if Stevie Carr fancies a go, I'll meet him wherever he wants!!!!!!!!! He'll just have to get down to his fighting weight first, so I'll not bother checking my phone for a while!

Anyway, back to the subject....................

Whilst I accept the safety argument regarding seating I think it would be nice to have one part of one stand which is 'standing only'.

It'll never happen though. Not in a million years.

Guest MalcolmSm1th

Surely it's more dangerous standing in the seating area than a standing area?  Though i dont see the safety risks with standing at all.  You actually take up less surface area

Do you recall that horrific football disaster North of the Border in the 70s when the fans surged forwards and the crush barriers failed? 

Sometimes standing can be great fun but sometimes it can have its own problems with crowd movements.  Heysel, for example, wouldn't have happened if there was seating in the stadium end.

Guest TheOrder

its blocking people's vision,thats why they should not let fans stand up

i mean a good chance goes by,the fans all stand up,they don't F***ING Set down untill 5 min's after..

What aspect of soccer, have you actually mastered?

its blocking people's vision,thats why they should not let fans stand up

i mean a good chance goes by,the fans all stand up,they don't F***ING Set down untill 5 min's after..

That's why it's designated standing areas.  Have you ever been to an away game?

We always stand, and it makes the games 10 x better.

Guest cybermansrevenge

SJP can never have standing. The angle of the stands is the problem.

Quite possibly true but in 10-15 years who knows how SJP will be viewed in terms of facilities and maybe if it's remodelled (or if we can blow up Castle Leazes) it could be done so that there are standing areas.I didn't ever get a chance to stand on the "popular" but a whole side standing would get some atmosphere back into SJP.

However there's not a cat in hells chance the clubs/government are going to go for it, they all seem to equate standing with hooliganism or maybe it's just when they introduced all seating the managed to manipulate the ticket price increases.

It'll never happen - no club will take the risk of being sued if there WAS an accident

That's assuming that there is some reason why modern standing enclosures (such as the once pictured) are more dangerous than seating areas.

Why would a club suddenly become at risk of being sued? No more than if I fell down over the top of a row of seats in their current arrangement.

Modern standing areas should not be compared to the inherently dangerous methods employed in the past.

The safety argument is an utterly ludicrous one. The only time there is any danger of incident due to standing is after a goal, when everyone's leaping about like possessed fuckers anyway. You're actually much more likely to have an accident if there's a seat for you to trip over during a celebration.