5 Years Ago Today

CaliMag

It just got better though, a few days later we beat Leeds 4-3 at Elland Road after being 3-1 down. Best feeling as a toon fan i've ever had after that game.

The two results were brilliant but Rob Lee scoring against Chelsea made me feel better, I thought we'd managed to avoid another poor result at Wembley, Poyet's got a lot to answer for.

not only were things great when we beat leeds 4-3 but we then went to beat them 2-1 at st james a few weeks later. 1 nil down after 90 seconds and then they hardlytouched the ball after that. Duberry scored and own goal then dyer scored the winner. The papers were full ov then, dyer was one ov the best players in the world

not only were things great when we beat leeds 4-3 but we then went to beat them 2-1 at st james a few weeks later. 1 nil down after 90 seconds and then they hardlytouched the ball after that. Duberry scored and own goal then dyer scored the winner. The papers were full ov then, dyer was one ov the best players in the world

And Bellamy added a 3rd.

Newcastle: Given, Hughes, O'Brien, Dabizas, Elliott, Dyer, Solano, Bernard, Speed, Shearer, Bellamy. Subs: Harper, Lua-Lua, McClen, Distin, Robert.

the sad thing about it is that team is no better than we have now

It was then.

Hughes was a very consistent right-back and that was the year that O'Brien was fairly solid. Dabizas blew hot and cold but was rock hard at times. Elliott, fair enough, average as ever. Dyer/Solano - dynamite. Speed, veteran - spine of the team, he held it together more than Shearer did in my opinion. Shearer/Bellamy was a good partnership n'all.

Daft comment really, Invicta.

don't agree at all

I agree with Invicta, only thing I don't agree about is that Shearer would've been a couple of times better than Martins...Other than that, the reason that our average defenders were 'very consistent', 'fairly solid' 'rock hard at times' was because Bobby organised them well. Give our team now to Bobby and I believe he will do equally good with our current squad as he did back then.

I remember it like yesterday, I was listening to it on the radio and when we went a goal down so I decided I wouldnt resist my bodies effort to go to sleep thinking we'd get buried.

I then wake up just after full time, delighted to find out we'd won but angry to have missed all the excitement!  :thup: :wullie: :lol:

Sir Bobby Robson : “At the time I lost my job I never thought for one moment I was under pressure 4 games in (just 14 days in), because when I took over we where bottom of the pack, I solved that got us back to top part of the premiership, we finished 4th 3ed and 5th and by the way with European football consistently and for anybody to think of us having that when I took over was unthinkable so, and we where well on our way to being consistently with those top pack which as you know is Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool, Newcastle and we where there but its gone for them now”

AGREED 100 % !!!

Sir Bobby Robson : “At the time I lost my job I never thought for one moment I was under pressure 4 games in (just 14 days in), because when I took over we where bottom of the pack, I solved that got us back to top part of the premiership, we finished 4th 3ed and 5th and by the way with European football consistently and for anybody to think of us having that when I took over was unthinkable so, and we where well on our way to being consistently with those top pack which as you know is Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool, Newcastle and we where there but its gone for them now”

AGREED 100 % !!!

Missed him

AGREED 100 % !!!

Missed him

Hurts because it's so true, can't say anything more to that, it's the truth just there, f'ing shepherd.

Guest Gemmill

AGREED 100 % !!!

None of which changes the fact that he was finished when we got rid.  Sad, but true.

"Remember that match well. In a funny sort of way it seems like it wasn't that long ago but then again, so much has changed at the club. For the worse, generally." - Alex

GENERALLY?????

FFS - what has gone RIGHT since then????????????????????/ 

That week was incredible. Firstly to bury the hoodoo in scuh a way was incredible- remember Uri Geller trying to take the credit? Cheeky beggar! Then that incredible Leeds game where we came back from 3-1 to win 4-3 in the last minute. I watched it in the Seven Stars in Ponteland and the place was going crazy. I recall several pints went flying!

Newcastle: Given, Hughes, O'Brien, Dabizas, Elliott, Dyer, Solano, Bernard, Speed, Shearer, Bellamy. Subs: Harper, Lua-Lua, McClen, Distin, Robert.

the sad thing about it is that team is no better than we have now

Don't agree tbh. We finished 4th, 3rd and 5th for a reason and that's because generally the players were better than those we have now.

Remember that match well. In a funny sort of way it seems like it wasn't that long ago but then again, so much has changed at the club. For the worse, generally.

True.

I recall the match too, as I was working and listening to the game (although wasnt supposed to) and I recall the whining of the BBC commentators displaying their usual lack of bias  :roll: (and it wasn't even that arch-arsehole Alan Green either) but what got me was the gurners fans - what short memories about referees ! They cant recall the atrociously biased Graham Ashby's disgraceful performance against Newcastle in general and Ginola in paticular, but screamed against Poll,  about how a Campbell tackle FROM BEHIND on Robert IN THE PENALTY AREA when he was last defender was NOT a pen (it damn well was) but their sending off shouldn't have happened (guilty as charged, the dirty bastard) it was ridiculous and my respect for Arsenal fans, previously quite high (certainly higher than their Spuds neighbours) disappeared overnight and has never recovered. Although I still have a higher regard than many other "top" clubs.

I dont think I can remember a display of bias from the rags like it after the game though.

Their attempts to display (without actually showing where it was actually wrong) that the GURNERS were had done to was as laughable as their attacks on Shearer after that affair with the ludicrous affair with Lennon. ("How DARE Shearer not sign for our club Man U !!!!! We'll attack him every way we can !")

Remember that match well. In a funny sort of way it seems like it wasn't that long ago but then again, so much has changed at the club. For the worse, generally.

True.

I recall the match too, as I was working and listening to the game (although wasnt supposed to) and I recall the whining of the BBC commentators displaying their usual lack of bias  :roll: (and it wasn't even that arch-arsehole Alan Green either) but what got me was the gurners fans - what short memories about referees ! They cant recall the atrociously biased Graham Ashby's disgraceful performance against Newcastle in general and Ginola in paticular, but screamed against Poll,  about how a Campbell tackle FROM BEHIND on Robert IN THE PENALTY AREA when he was last defender was NOT a pen (it damn well was) but their sending off shouldn't have happened (guilty as charged, the dirty bastard) it was ridiculous and my respect for Arsenal fans, previously quite high (certainly higher than their Spuds neighbours) disappeared overnight and has never recovered. Although I still have a higher regard than many other "top" clubs.

I dont think I can remember a display of bias from the rags like it after the game though.

Their attempts to display (without actually showing where it was actually wrong) that the GURNERS were had done to was as laughable as their attacks on Shearer after that affair with the ludicrous affair with Lennon. ("How DARE Shearer not sign for our club Man U !!!!! We'll attack him every way we can !")

Funny you should mention arse fans going down in your estimation. I was on "hello" terms with someone who was an arse fan right up until this game. The wanker showed his true colours after this match though.