Toon line up top targets

Guest smoggeordie

Guest Gemmill

With all the best planning in the world and the hardest work, sometimes deals that look 90% bang on, dont come off. Its fucking naive not to understand this.   

I think we're all aware of this tbh.  It's also the case that with very little planning in place and very little work, most of the time deals don't come off for exactly those reasons.  And that's what happened at Newcastle - Huth was available all summer and after the window we were told that that's who Roeder wanted.  So why wait til deadline day?  When it was obvious days in advance of deadline day that Boro were stealing a march on us (I'm not saying I wanted Huth btw, but Roeder did) 

Comparing the way Newcastle do business with the way your employer (I gather a very large, very successful global business) does is pretty daft tbh.

Mindful of the financial position - after all money is money, is it beyond the realms of an accountant to comprehend that they were trying to knock the fee down ? Now you slate them for not paying the full price, while knowing you would have still slagged them off if they had done ?

They did well knocking the fee down didn't they?  And after all we've got a history of knocking fees down, haven't we?  Oh wait, no we haven't, you're talking shit again.

With all the best planning in the world and the hardest work, sometimes deals that look 90% bang on, dont come off. Its fucking naive not to understand this.   

I think we're all aware of this tbh.  It's also the case that with very little planning in place and very little work, most of the time deals don't come off for exactly those reasons.  And that's what happened at Newcastle - Huth was available all summer and after the window we were told that that's who Roeder wanted.  So why wait til deadline day?  When it was obvious days in advance of deadline day that Boro were stealing a march on us (I'm not saying I wanted Huth btw, but Roeder did) 

Comparing the way Newcastle do business with the way your employer (I gather a very large, very successful global business) does is pretty daft tbh.

Why did Boro wait till deadline day then? Cos they are idiots too? Or because they were playing the same risky game as us?

Guest Gemmill

Why did Boro wait till deadline day then? Cos they are idiots too? Or because they were playing the same risky game as us?

They didn't though did they?  They'd already been in talks with him for a while.  He'd already attended and failed a medical at the club earlier in the window - he would have signed for them then but for that, and remember this is supposedly the player Roeder had identified from day one as the man he wanted and he's got to the stage of having a medical at Boro without us even talking to him.

There was a build-up of activity with Boro in advance of deadline day which culminated in him being unveiled at a press conference.  We got in touch about an hour before the press conference.

They didn't though did they?  They'd already been in talks with him for a while.  He'd already attended and failed a medical at the club earlier in the window - he would have signed for them then but for that, and remember this is supposedly the player Roeder had identified from day one as the man he wanted and he's got to the stage of having a medical at Boro without us even talking to him.

There was a build-up of activity with Boro in advance of deadline day which culminated in him being unveiled at a press conference.  We got in touch about an hour before the press conference.

Well in hindsight, approaching them an hour before the conference may have been a mistake  :lol:

We spent a lot of effort getting Martins, they spent a lot of effort getting Huth. Not doing them that much good now though is it?

Mindful of the financial position - after all money is money, is it beyond the realms of an accountant to comprehend that they were trying to knock the fee down ? Now you slate them for not paying the full price, while knowing you would have still slagged them off if they had done ?

They did well knocking the fee down didn't they?  And after all we've got a history of knocking fees down, haven't we?  Oh wait, no we haven't, you're talking shit again.

I expected you to dodge a straight reply. If as you say - we always pay over the odds, which is shite anyway - what is wrong with them trying to knock the fee down.

As usual, "damned if they do damned if they don't" with the heads in the sand brigade who think a knight in shining armour is waiting around the corner to supply the club with unlimited funds and win loads of trophies but cannot tell us who this person is.

You do understand the concept of spending your budget I take it ? Even that was money that was a risky spend, your chum Baggio will tell you how we should have really spent nothing, never mind paying the full price for a centre half when we had lost 3 forwards, so you should have a word with him.

Well in hindsight, approaching them an hour before the conference may have been a mistake  :lol:

We spent a lot of effort getting Martins, they spent a lot of effort getting Huth. Not doing them that much good now though is it?

don't expect some truths to cut any ice with the "damned if they do damned if they don't" brigade

Guest Gemmill

Yeah I agree, he's not been much cop.  I just think defending them for that abortion of a transfer window doesn't make any sense.  It was absolutely shambolic from the scouting of Kuyt on a night when he pretty much confirmed in his post-match interview that he was going to Liverpool, right up to signing stickman Olivier Bernard the day after the window closed.

Guest Gemmill

I expected you to dodge a straight reply. If as you say - we always pay over the odds, which is shite anyway - what is wrong with them trying to knock the fee down.

As usual, "damned if they do damned if they don't" with the heads in the sand brigade who think a knight in shining armour is waiting around the corner to supply the club with unlimited funds and win loads of trophies but cannot tell us who this person is.

You do understand the concept of spending your budget I take it ? Even that was money that was a risky spend, your chum Baggio will tell you how we should have really spent nothing, never mind paying the full price for a centre half when we had lost 3 forwards, so you should have a word with him.

Don't talk to me about dodging replies.  You don't dodge them as such, you just quote the post you're "replying to" then list things like 5th best in the premiership, England internationals, etc. etc.  You reply to every post with the same answer.

Your defence of Shepherd is increasingly pathetic.  You are a joke on here and on Toontastic.  It's only you that can't see it.  bluebigrazz.gif

Yeah I agree, he's not been much cop.  I just think defending them for that abortion of a transfer window doesn't make any sense.  It was absolutely shambolic from the scouting of Kuyt on a night when he pretty much confirmed in his post-match interview that he was going to Liverpool, right up to signing stickman Olivier Bernard the day after the window closed.

I like to see it as a near-miss not an abortion. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

I'm not going to say much more on this for a couple of months as i want to see whether Martins continues his recent form. If he does, i will be back to defend the 'abortion' a bit more. A striker and some service to him was the priority and still is.

By then though we'll have the January window to scream 'bad planning, spent too much, spent too little' at.

I see centre-back as the major priority (especially as Bramble and Moore are out of contract in the summer and we are already a centre-back short imo). Then I would say 2 fullbacks and a striker are what we need.

Don't talk to me about dodging replies.  You don't dodge them as such, you just quote the post you're "replying to" then list things like 5th best in the premiership, England internationals, etc. etc.  You reply to every post with the same answer.

Your defence of Shepherd is increasingly pathetic.  You are a joke on here and on Toontastic.  It's only you that can't see it.  bluebigrazz.gif

5th best over a decade is a reply. It is a reply that tells people such a thing isn't shit. It should also tell you that it is far from mediocre.

If you can't accept this and think we have a divine right to be higher you have a problem. The ironic thing is, when Fred comes out and says the same sort of thing that you and your chums do, you slate him for talking shite and embarrassing you, but you embarrass yourself by spouting such rubbish. You have seen manu fans and other such idiots saying that Newcastle fans think they are a big club and they have won nothing since the 1950's? It is comments by the likes of you that they are talking about.

I am not defending anyone, I am stating facts. If you can't acknowledge that being the 5th most consistent qualifier for europe over a span of a decade makes us a long way detached from mediocre, then it is you that is pathetic. And quite a lot of your chums on toontastic are a joke to me, especially the ones who are totally unrealistic and the "anyone but Fred" arseholes, unable to grasp facts, have nothing to say, and no mind of their own.

Fantastically stupid of anyone to suggest they would swap places with Bolton ...... haha ......... you find any Bolton supporter who wouldn't swap places with us. Brilliantly stupid.  :lol:

I see centre-back as the major priority (especially as Bramble and Moore are out of contract in the summer and we are already a centre-back short imo). Then I would say 2 fullbacks and a striker are what we need.

Centre-Back? Surely a left back is first? Then, given resources, some choices have to be made. We can probably only afford another good defender or another good attacker. On our current defensive record, i would go for the attacker.

left back, centre back, striker, right back.

In that order.

I agree with this. Possibly interchanging the striker for a right-back however, given that I'm more comfortable with Le Sib and Dyer up top than I am with Stevie at RB.

Centre-Back? Surely a left back is first? Then, given resources, some choices have to be made. We can probably only afford another good defender or another good attacker. On our current defensive record, i would go for the attacker.

It's a tough one I agree. Left-back is an area we really need to strengthen too. Perhaps if Bramble gets an extension and he is the number 3/4 choice at centre-back depending on how good Huntingdon turns out to be then I'd be relatively happy about us in the middle (short-term anyway). Even then we'd still be short of cover there.

Guest Deep456

Bramble contract will not be renewed I read it on bbc then posted it some time ago but that's good news if you missed it.

Bramble contract will not be renewed I read it on bbc then posted it some time ago but that's good news if you missed it.

I've seen it reported that he will and won't get a new contract fairly recently.

Guest Gemmill

5th best over a decade is a reply. It is a reply that tells people such a thing isn't shit. It should also tell you that it is far from mediocre.

If you can't accept this and think we have a divine right to be higher you have a problem. The ironic thing is, when Fred comes out and says the same sort of thing that you and your chums do, you slate him for talking shite and embarrassing you, but you embarrass yourself by spouting such rubbish. You have seen manu fans and other such idiots saying that Newcastle fans think they are a big club and they have won nothing since the 1950's? It is comments by the likes of you that they are talking about.

I am not defending anyone, I am stating facts. If you can't acknowledge that being the 5th most consistent qualifier for europe over a span of a decade makes us a long way detached from mediocre, then it is you that is pathetic. And quite a lot of your chums on toontastic are a joke to me, especially the ones who are totally unrealistic and the "anyone but Fred" arseholes, unable to grasp facts, have nothing to say, and no mind of their own.

Fantastically stupid of anyone to suggest they would swap places with Bolton ...... haha ......... you find any Bolton supporter who wouldn't swap places with us. Brilliantly stupid.  :lol:

I haven't even mentioned Bolton.  Anywhere.  I have no fucking idea what you're talking about.  Are you replying to the voices in your head, you silly old sod. :lol:

Cheers for the stock reply though - I've heard it all before.  Apart from the Bolton bit though, that was a bit special. :lol:

I understand a strikers were a priority and said this throughout the summer, fact is as Roeder has admitted we did also target defenders but due to POOR planning we left it till the last minute and missed out.

How anyone can be so stupid to not see this! Honestly but carry on talking about how it wasnt down to poor planning and using other clubs failing as some sort of excuse! Charlton was one of the examples and they are looking certain for relegation, does that mean if we go the same way its not really the board or managements fault because someone else done it too?

laughable, tell you what this thread and the excuses have made a boring day at work so far a lot more interesting. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I understand a strikers were a priority and said this throughout the summer, fact is as Roeder has admitted we did also target defenders but due to POOR planning we left it till the last minute and missed out.

How anyone can be so stupid to not see this! Honestly but carry on talking about how it wasnt down to poor planning and using other clubs failing as some sort of excuse! Charlton was one of the examples and they are looking certain for relegation, does that mean if we go the same way its not really the board or managements fault because someone else done it too?

laughable, tell you what this thread and the excuses have made a boring day at work so far a lot more interesting. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well as you missed the point so much you can have even more fun re-reading it and trying to work it out properly, your tardness.  bluebigrazz.gif

I haven't even mentioned Bolton.  Anywhere.  I have no fucking idea what you're talking about.  Are you replying to the voices in your head, you silly old sod. :lol:

Cheers for the stock reply though - I've heard it all before.  Apart from the Bolton bit though, that was a bit special. :lol:

one of your chums mentioned Bolton. As most of you seem to mimic each other and don't have a mind of your own, apart from Alex sometimes, I thought I would mention it but didn't say it was you anyway. It would appear that you and Baggio have plenty to talk about, you say the club should spend money, he says they shouldn't, he's jealous of Bolton despite us doing better than them, and you think such a thing is funny [which I agree with apart from Allardyce who I still think would have been a good bet for us].

The stock answer of factual information is fine. Even the stupidest of people will believe factual information eventually. Maybe.

It's a tough one I agree. Left-back is an area we really need to strengthen too. Perhaps if Bramble gets an extension and he is the number 3/4 choice at centre-back depending on how good Huntingdon turns out to be then I'd be relatively happy about us in the middle (short-term anyway). Even then we'd still be short of cover there.

We are even shorter of cover for Martins than at the back.

Priorities:

1. LEFT BACK

2. STRIKER (cover) or CENTRE BACK

3. RIGHT BACK

I'd be putting alot of effort in getting a left back in then keeping my eye open at other deals going on. If we see a centre back, striker or right back that has became available we should swoop in. Planning is the key word though, plenty of enquiries need to be made.

Well as you missed the point so much you can have even more fun re-reading it and trying to work it out properly, your tardness.  bluebigrazz.gif

What point am I missing? Did we or did we not try and sign defenders on the last day of the transfer window? Is this not a sign of bad planning or did we spend the WHOLE of the transfer window trying to sign Martins and Duff? Why were we still scouting Kuyt when we were if we had planned so effectively?

LB - Anyone. Maybe Baines or Maxwell from Inter.

CB - Medium to old age. We've got talent, now we need someone to teach them. Zat Knight, Woody, Koffour, etc...

ST - Young talent, under 21

RB - Owomoyela from Werder. If theres a position where we can take a chance on a foreigner, this is it IMO.

Obviously LB and CB is where we need to spend big money.