Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Still would be floored if they rejected the bid but on the verge of creating more flapping I don't see it happening next week with the WTO coming out. It could ramble on for another few weeks at least as they will want to let that sit and the press and detractors will have another field day saying why it shouldn't happen. Just can't see it getting confirmed the same week a "supposedly damning" report comes out. It has become such a farce though, especially if the PL had access to these reports already....unless the report actually doesn't confirm anything and they are waiting for it to be release to back up their rationale for passing it?

I still believe the fact it has been dragged out is for the PL to save face showing how stringently and seriously they took allegations and looked into this before they wave it through.

Still would be floored if they rejected the bid but on the verge of creating more flapping I don't see it happening next week with the WTO coming out. It could ramble on for another few weeks at least as they will want to let that sit and the press and detractors will have another field day saying why it shouldn't happen. Just can't see it getting confirmed the same week a "supposedly damning" report comes out. It has become such a farce though, especially if the PL had access to these reports already....unless the report actually doesn't confirm anything and they are waiting for it to be release to back up their rationale for passing it?

I still believe the fact it has been dragged out is for the PL to save face showing how stringently and seriously they took allegations and looked into this before they wave it through.

I just think nobody know's anything apart from those close to the deal. The article about the government from The Times today offers absolutely nothing, but keeps it on the agenda this week. It's hard to read anything into it as a few weeks ago people are complaining about MP's taking piracy to the DCMS so it all seems to be very speculative. The sources which held 'high esteem' in early May when they were getting shared such as MENA sources saying it was a done deal were also claiming a deal for Man Utd in February or reporting English sources like the Express or The Sun.

That note from the government sounds like a subtle 'push this through'. They can't comment, but they support the country's efforts, which in this instance, are buying Newcastle.

Absolutely

British GDP just fell 20% never mind NUFC , we Brits are going to need all the £££ in investment the Saudis can hoy at us . So on reflection , this ought to go through

That note from the government sounds like a subtle 'push this through'. They can't comment, but they support the country's efforts, which in this instance, are buying Newcastle.

After seeing the dire economic figures regarding our economy I can’t imagine the government would be too chuffed if an investor willing to put millions of pounds into a local region is turned away.

Well if there was ever a surefire guarantor of smooth running and sheer competence, it certainly is our government getting involved!

I agree, they’re completely incompetent, however given the impact COVID and a potential no deal brexit they will want as much investment into the U.K. they can get from the Saudis.

Yep. Money always talks. Especially when one side doesn’t seem to have as much guaranteed going forward as they did.

Guest chopey

I've always been 100% confident this will go through and I'm more convinced then ever that I'll be celebrating my birthday next Saturday toasting the departure of Ashley.

If money talked that loudly, they wouldn't be so determined to no-deal BREXIT the country. In fact they wouldn't have got behind BREXIT at all.

Given that this'll cost the country tens of billions, whilst I'm sure they'd prefer the Saudi investment I doubt our rich, London-centric Tory government will lose *that* much sleep over a provincial northern town losing a few million in investment.

If money talked that loudly, they wouldn't be so determined to no-deal BREXIT the country. In fact they wouldn't have got behind BREXIT at all.

Given that this'll cost the country tens of billions, whilst I'm sure they'd prefer the Saudi investment I doubt our rich, London-centric Tory government will lose *that* much sleep over a provincial northern town losing a few million in investment.

Always reliable for the negative.  :lol:

give it a rest will you..more than a few million i guess

This waiting for a WTO report must be a load of bollocks. I mean what if it was delayed a few months?

The report is complete. So nothing to delay it. Still due on the 14th (I think).

Guest godzilla

This waiting for a WTO report must be a load of bollocks. I mean what if it was delayed a few months?

The report is complete. So nothing to delay it. Still due on the 14th (I think).

Unless it's appealed against by either or both sides

Yes but it can’t be appealed until it’s unveiled... surely? Which is what I (thought I) was answering.

Yes but it can’t be appealed until it’s unveiled... surely? Which is what I (thought I) was answering.

Correct.

Guest godzilla

No that's not the case both sides will have the report and be able to appeal before the report is published. The report will not be published if there is an appeal as it will then not become a legal or sanctioned report

But they will care about potentially pissing off our arms industry's biggest customer.

That's more of an issue, true.

Always reliable for the negative.  :lol:

I'm not actually a negative person, this is just a self-defense mechanism - Though I do think the points I'm making are strong, I just prefer to look on the bad side because history tells me it will be a bad outcome supporting Newcastle. :lol: If I expect the worst, I cannot be gutted when it happens. Plus the highs are higher, if this does go through I'll be elated, but those saying they expect it to go through will just be relieved. It's a win-win, emotionally.

Also expecting it to fail stops me getting too OTT with other fans. I've seen some Newcastle fans baiting others about what the our future could hold - they could end up with egg on their faces and having to eat humble pie. My stance, to everyone, since the very start has been the same so I'm also insulated from ridicule if it collapses.

If either party appeals it when officially published then I guess it could delay whilst appeal heard. Though apparently there is no one to actually listen to any appeal.

Who knows what would happen then...

Guest godzilla

Back on topic and whilst this has probably been answered amongst the maelstrom of preceding s**** that I cant be arsed reading but......

Why do people think the WTO report is going to trigger premier league support? I've read that approval will be after it is published but I would have thought that it would be more likely to be the trigger to reject the Saudis if it states unequivocally that there is a link between them and beoutq.  Like a cloak to hide behind and justify rejection.

Although I claimed the contrary a few days ago, it is true that the report will NOT be published if either side appeals, as it will be rendered incomplete and potentially false. It's very likely that parts of it will be leaked publicly by the Qatari side though, as it's will undoubtedly rule against KSA. The appeal procedure could last 60-90 days.

The WTO site is very informative and functional.

https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/whatis_e/tif_e/disp1_e.htm

There it is in black and white

Back on topic and whilst this has probably been answered amongst the maelstrom of preceding s**** that I cant be arsed reading but......

Why do people think the WTO report is going to trigger premier league support? I've read that approval will be after it is published but I would have thought that it would be more likely to be the trigger to reject the Saudis if it states unequivocally that there is a link between them and beoutq.  Like a cloak to hide behind and justify rejection.

Although I claimed the contrary a few days ago, it is true that the report will NOT be published if either side appeals, as it will be rendered incomplete and potentially false. It's very likely that parts of it will be leaked publicly by the Qatari side though, as it's will undoubtedly rule against KSA. The appeal procedure could last 60-90 days.

And off around the houses we go again

No that's not the case both sides will have the report and be able to appeal before the report is published. The report will not be published if there is an appeal as it will then not become a legal or sanctioned report

If that’s the case my apologies :thup:  Makes no sense (to me) as WTO I would think would claim they have wrote an independent report. Release it. Open for discussion and therefore then open to any appeal although the fact it’s not a legal finding kind of makes the who appeal idea seem a waste of time other than personal pride.

Guest godzilla

And off around the houses we go again

Not really it's there in black and white and was confirmed by a twitter thread from an ex WTO Officer of 15 years, and which has been already mentioned a few times in this thread