Euro 96

Paully

Up there with Waddle hitting the inside of the post in Extra-Time v West Germany and the Ronaldinho fluke in 02. If those three moments go our way there’s a very good chance we have three more major tournament wins.

Er, what? I always thought it was one of those absurd stereotypes that English people actually believed this was a fluke.

I suppose Beckham beating Sullivan was a fluke too?

"When I hit the ball I wanted to shoot for goal - but maybe not exactly where the ball ended up,” he said. “If I'm being totally honest, I was aiming for the other side of the net.

Keepers nowadays would save it too.

Guest neesy111

Up there with Waddle hitting the inside of the post in Extra-Time v West Germany and the Ronaldinho fluke in 02. If those three moments go our way there’s a very good chance we have three more major tournament wins.

Er, what? I always thought it was one of those absurd stereotypes that English people actually believed this was a fluke.

"When I hit the ball I wanted to shoot for goal - but maybe not exactly where the ball ended up,” he said. “If I'm being totally honest, I was aiming for the other side of the net.

Greece goalkeeper should save that Beckham FK that got us to the finals.

Greece goalkeeper should save that Beckham FK that got us to the finals.

Antonios Nikopolidis? Pretty good keeper iirc.

The Athletic did a recent piece on Beckham vs Greece and there's a backstory to why Nikopolidis didn't save that final free kick (Beckham had 8 shots that day).

In the reverse fixture, Beckham confused him by scoring a free kick at the near post. It made Nikopolidis look silly, he was dropped for a few games yet recalled for this match.

But that day's previous seven free kicks, plus the goal in Greece, were compared to cricket - a bowler toying with a batsman, creating doubt, then beating him with his classic ball. Therefore Nikopolidis took a step to the wrong side instead of anticipating the classic Beckham strike.

That Gascoigne miss was something else, like. Is there a more agonising moment?

Random one but I remember Gary Speed missing what seemed like an open goal for us against Marseille. I used to get myself all upset watching it back on the 03/04 season review video. From one angle it doesn't look particularly clear cut but on the live TV angle, he looked like he couldn't miss. 'orrible.

Edit, the whole game is on YouTube. 54:00 if you want to torture yourself. He definitely should have scored. Fuck.

Waddle hitting the post in '90 comes close. Not as dramatic as it was over in a split second, and the history of penalty shoot outs hadn't yet developed.